Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
When I lived in baltimore I WAS a yuppie, or so I thought. I did not get $$ from my folks, did not do anything related to art other than occasionally go to a museum or gallery (and my tastes were not up to the minute) I did like those latte places when Bmore finally got them.

Here in Dee Cee we have gads of folks I THINK are yuppies, but precious few who seem like "hipsters"

I am told in NYC they are the same thing. Though I thought hipsters disliked yuppies.

Please clarify this confusing situation.
Have you ever seen that movie The Outsiders with Tom Cruise & Matt Dillon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I hate this. You can't be white, artistic, wealthy and live in this city without being labeled as one or the other.

I've been called both. My boyfriend and I are certainly more "hipster," than yuppie, but neither of us have trust funds and we both hate Starbucks. However, we like art (memberships at multiple museums), indie music (considered very hipsterish, by many), read a lot of "intellectual" books, and both work in creative fields.

I absolutely hate that the label for any form of creative white person has become hipster. I think jealousy is the root in a lot of cases.
Very interesting. Have you ever seen a white Alligator? Like a solid white Alligator with sky blue eye balls? Very unique reptiles.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
He thinks hipsters are yuppies apparently.

Yuppies love Starbucks.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I walked up bedford ave in N W'burg and the folks there SEEMED to like everything from Thai food to weird art. I take they were not hipsters, then?
Bedford Ave you're going to see both these days actually. All those new river front condos in Williamsburg are attracting plenty of the frat/sorority yupster types with generous parents, or occasionally some that actually have good paying jobs and write their own checks.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
When I lived in baltimore I WAS a yuppie, or so I thought. I did not get $$ from my folks, did not do anything related to art other than occasionally go to a museum or gallery (and my tastes were not up to the minute) I did like those latte places when Bmore finally got them.

Here in Dee Cee we have gads of folks I THINK are yuppies, but precious few who seem like "hipsters"

I am told in NYC they are the same thing. Though I thought hipsters disliked yuppies.

Please clarify this confusing situation.
DC is definitely a yuppie paradise. Not sure if it's the hipster draw that NY or SF is though. Probably not the kind of place that would jump off the map at them...too straight laced and "establishment" oriented.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default hipster is to yuppie as caterpillar is to butterfly

Hipsters are the larval form of yuppies. In this adolescent form they are yuppie ground troops that bum-rush a neighborhood and prepare it for gentrification. The Hipster's primary purpose is to raise rents, encourage native populations to emigrate, laydown the groundwork for the cultural transformation. The local HQ is Williamsburg Brooklyn and all operations are coordinated from there.

At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from Hipster to full fledged yuppie. Sort of like a caterpillar morphing into a butterfly. They lose the tight jeans, ironic T-Shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for Barneys New York corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into the entirely corporate persona of the parents that supported them through their parental enabled hipster rumspringa. The transformation is completed with an investment portfolio, a child adopted from the orient and a large foreign made SUV or Prius.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 12-31-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
This guy wins the freakin thread^^^^^^^^^

And this is why I say yupster all the time. I'm talkin about folk in that metamorphosis phase. Sometimes it takes a solid few years. I really don't know what is so hard to understand about that term.....

Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
Hipster... Yuppie.... as opposed to what? What is the alternative? Is there a certain category for a "normal person" or something? Why do we even need names like that? What are the other categories out there and how come most threads on this forum are so obsessed with the entire hipster/yuppie thing, I don't get it.
Yes, there is other categories which can be summed up into one:

People who don't matter.

Not nice, but it is a partial reality at the least.

The interesting thing is that its the liberal progressives that think most in this manner. You know the ones Obama was speaking to when he thought it was a closed house of the like-minded re:

"...[those] who cling to their guns and religon..."

That says it all.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
I think the term "Yuppie" came about in the '80s when young, college graduates started moving back to urban areas with some money in their pockets.

Hipsters are amore recent phenomenon and I do not think the same. (Maybe Hipsters are amore recent hybrid of the Yuppies?). Cant quite figure out what Hipsters are but I know the guys have beards and wear flannel shirts. They tend to be "artsy" types I think. I think a lot of them live in Brooklyn and write for New York Magazine!!

Disagree with the comment that they "like Starbucks". I would think quite the opposite... they would be more inclined to like a local, non corporate coffee place.

I think Yuppies might be Banker types. More interested in Mergers and Acquisitions than Organic and Enviro Friendly.

so, in my opinion... they are not the same at all.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Ahhhhh I see......

lulz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City