Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone, View Post
I think you know the answer to that.
No, explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM

138 posts, read 314,854 times
Quote:
Bloomberg is a great mayor. Under his term, NYC has become a far more pleasant and beautiful city than it has ever been. Beautiful new parks, beautiful new buildings popping up, sprucing up of dumpy looking neighborhoods, beautiful pedestrian plazas. NYC needs the European pizazz and Bloomberg is delivering.

If it was up to you anti-Bloomberg, the entire city would look like a giant slum and everyone would be on welfare. No surprise the slums of New York went for Thompson and the most desirable neighborhoods full of tax paying citizens all went for Bloomberg last election. The last thing NYC needs is a proletariat mayor who caters to the poor. Bloomberg all about capitalism/business and rewarding productive citizens with with amazing amenities, livable neighborhoods, clean streets, etc. Bloomberg continues to keep the city an attractive place for educated, wealthy tax paying newcomers (i.e. the "yuppie").

Hopefully Bloomberg drafts a plan to dismantle public housing in Manhattan by the end of his term, and he will go down as the best mayor in NYC history.
I agree with your post but removing public housing from Manhattan will never fly. Too much money involved, too many people effected.

I would like to see them torn down and replaced by high density, mixed income apartment buildings but it just won't happen right now. However the mixed income housing is here.

All public housing should be torn down and replaced by mixed income developments such as:

^-Promoted by Bloomberg, BTW.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM

22 posts, read 21,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
No, explain it.
It's too good for the projects.

Manhattan is the core of the city, wealthy, what everyone sees and its much too good for those gloomy/ugly/depressing looming welfare-pit public housing monstrosities. A stain on the landscape.

New transplant "fake NYer" yuppies who will occupy space where the projects once were will do far more for this city than "real" welfare-leeching NYers. The city needs tax revenue. Welfare queens don't pay taxes.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
It's too good for the projects.

Manhattan is the core of the city, wealthy, what everyone sees and its much too good for those gloomy/ugly/depressing looming welfare-pit public housing monstrosities. A stain on the landscape.

New transplant "fake NYer" yuppies who will occupy space where the projects once were will do far more for this city than "real" welfare-leeching NYers. The city needs tax revenue. Welfare queens don't pay taxes.
Pure BS. It wasn't too long ago a good size of Manhattan was just as poor, run down, and dangerous as the outer boroughs. Now because the gentrification that went on last decade, all of a sudden Manhattan is too good to have people who are low-income?! It's ridiculous. Projects should not be torn down nor should neighborhoods eschew large parts of their demographics just because of a few elitists ideas.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

22 posts, read 21,643 times
Quote:
Pure BS. It wasn't too long ago a good size of Manhattan was just as poor, run down, and dangerous as the outer boroughs. Now because the gentrification that went on last decade, all of a sudden Manhattan is too good to have people who are low-income?! It's ridiculous. Projects should not be torn down nor should neighborhoods eschew large parts of their demographics just because of a few elitists ideas.
Well we clearly disagree. The projects are a blight and should be removed.

Rent stabilization should be abolished as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM

138 posts, read 314,854 times
Quote:
Different parts of Manhattan are so different from one another that you cannot group the entire borough as one. I am talking from census tract to census tract, block to block, building to building. There is a lot of economic diversity.

I don't see why you defend the public housing projects which isolate so many New Yorkers. Harboring all types of social problems. Encourage mixed income development, it works so much better.

Quote:
Well we clearly disagree. The projects are a blight and should be removed.

Rent stabilization should be abolished as well.
I disagree with your second statement (in terms of city regulated rent controls), only because I have no problem supporting those less fortunate than me. I am not a pure greedy capitalist, I like a mixed economic system. However, I would like NYCHA developments to be leveled. TEAR THE PROJECTS DOWN. Again, REPLACED by MIXED INCOME housing. That would expose low income households to success, something lacking in the ghettos of NYC.

Last edited by R3ALTAWK718; 01-03-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 AM

17 posts, read 24,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Corey Booker, Mayor of Newark, NJ, was out shoveling and helping people who were stuck. Bloomberg is a billionaire, who believes he is a God. He is trying to get NY to go completely smoke free because he is a militant against smokers; trying to control the salt content in food, etc. He is so out of touch with reality and up in his Ivory Tower. He wanted another term, so he passed the law. He is an arrogant, egotistical moron.
Why can't Bloomberg get the homeless removed from the subways. If Bloomberg is so health conscious then why is he allowing unwashed, potential disease carriers to be in close quarters with and infest subway passengers in unventilated areas? Is it because the idiot Bloomberg doesn't realize what's going on in these trains or is it because Bloomberg doesn't really care about people but got on the anti smoking wagon to be trendy?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Nahon it's because we live in America where even the poor and homeless have the right to sit in the subway and ride the train. They should not be sleeping or living in the subways, but seeing as the police are busy with actual crimes, chasing the homeless out of the subways is not high on the list but I do agree it is annoying.

I hope you educate yourself about the complexities of running a city....instead of simply making silly statements and trashing Bloomberg.

As for the housing projects, they are a colossal failure, not because the housing itself is bad, but because of the way it was administered. The city simply used this working class housing as the dumping ground for the poor/criminals/drug addicts/undesireables. However, the city has learned from that mistake and all of the new affordable housing going up is mixed income and all applicants meet strict criteria for the priviledge of living there.

The housing projects should stay, but they should follow the model of the new affordable housing and become more mixed income. New facades would help alot..but since there is no money for such large scale cosmetic rehabs, I don't see it happening.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
To the OP: it's not that the Mayor is clueless. It's that he has his own agenda, and most of us aren't a part of it.

Given his mindset, it's sort of hard to imagine that he ever really wanted to be a mayor, which is, after all, an elective office. What he'd really like is to be king. He doesn't like being challenged, is what it all comes down to.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nahon it's because we live in America where even the poor and homeless have the right to sit in the subway and ride the train. They should not be sleeping or living in the subways, but seeing as the police are busy with actual crimes, chasing the homeless out of the subways is not high on the list but I do agree it is annoying.

I hope you educate yourself about the complexities of running a city....instead of simply making silly statements and trashing Bloomberg.

As for the housing projects, they are a colossal failure, not because the housing itself is bad, but because of the way it was administered. The city simply used this working class housing as the dumping ground for the poor/criminals/drug addicts/undesireables. However, the city has learned from that mistake and all of the new affordable housing going up is mixed income and all applicants meet strict criteria for the priviledge of living there.

The housing projects should stay, but they should follow the model of the new affordable housing and become more mixed income. New facades would help alot..but since there is no money for such large scale cosmetic rehabs, I don't see it happening.
You sound like a Pro Bloomberg guy No matter what he does wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City