Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times

Advertisements

Probably the same reason why I most likely will not find a Rock/Classic Rock station in Tennessee. There is no demand for it. Most of the radio stations today are based on top 40 stuff driven by what kids and young people listen to. If you want specific genres, then unfortunately that means having to pay for radio. While I protested, I ultimately gave in to satellite radio because I was tired of the 1 rock station that plays the same 15 songs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

458 posts, read 616,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Probably the same reason why I most likely will not find a Rock/Classic Rock station in Tennessee.
There are a gazillion rock/classic rock stations in Tennessee.

New York doesn't like country because they associate it with rednecks. Now, most of them have never actually listened to it, but they are deathly afraid of being associated with those dreaded rednecks.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,394 times
Obviously, there isn't enough of a market here for country music or someone would have invested in a station by now.

I say, to each his own as far as music genres are concerned. That's the beauty of music, there's something for everyone. But, at this point in time a country music station may not be profitable enough to successfully operate here in NYC.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
There are a gazillion rock/classic rock stations in Tennessee.

New York doesn't like country because they associate it with rednecks. Now, most of them have never actually listened to it, but they are deathly afraid of being associated with those dreaded rednecks.
Ok, maybe I should have said Texas lol..I was just using it as an example. Good to know that I can listen to classic rock if ever I'm in Tennessee

That's not true that NY doesn't like country music. There's a lot of country up in NY State. We're talking NYC specifically. One you're past Peeksill, I find it hard to pick up a rock station and I quickly lose Q104.0 but I will pick up country music.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times
Maybe there are no country music stations in NYC, because there are no trailer parks in NYC? Just wondering.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

374 posts, read 812,261 times
I don't blame New Yorkers for not liking modern Country music or for not having a station there. If the only type of Country music I'd ever heard was the contemporary, Pop, corporate studio engineered, lyrical abortion Wal-Mart radio version, I'd hate it too. Most people that hate Country music haven't actually heard Country music. They've just heard Country Pop. Judging all of Country music for fakes like Toby Keith or Rascal Flatts would be like judging all of Rock for people like Nickelback. When you start hearing Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, John Hartford (NYC native), Ralph Stanley, ect., you can appreciate truly good lyrics and traditional western and southern folk/bluegrass/blues music (which country music started out as before they turned it into a plastic, mass produced Frankenstein's monster of what it once was).

Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
Little tip for you NYers. Most people outside of this city love Country music. There are probably plenty that love it here as well. You don't have to be southern to love country music. My parents live in WNY and love love love country. Go to Taste of Country concert, see Toby Keith and such. I think it's the negative view people here have of anything Southern. It's the bubble I always talk about. Like anything from outside major cities are some sort of barbaric practice. There is Pop everything. Country is no exception. You still have Z100 which churns out crap but that's acceptable.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
The reason why should be very obvious. New York City is exactly the opposite of "Country".

Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I don't blame New Yorkers for not liking modern Country music or for not having a station there. If the only type of Country music I'd ever heard was the contemporary, Pop, corporate studio engineered, lyrical abortion Wal-Mart radio version, I'd hate it too. Most people that hate Country music haven't actually heard Country music. They've just heard Country Pop. Judging all of Country music for fakes like Toby Keith or Rascal Flatts would be like judging all of Rock for people like Nickelback. When you start hearing Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, John Hartford (NYC native), Ralph Stanley, ect., you can appreciate truly good lyrics and traditional western and southern folk/bluegrass/blues music (which country music started out as before they turned it into a plastic, mass produced Frankenstein's monster of what it once was).
I love how so many people simply assume that nobody from NYC likes country music... It's that stereotype that made Garth Brooks nearly fall from shock when years ago it was his concert in NYC that set all records for attendance in central park

What was Garth Brooks concert attendance at central park

There are plenty of people in this city that love country music it's just that just like most of the genres because there is so much variety in this city and it is not typically known as a country music type of city... it goes under the radar...

But many people including myself love country music and I disagree especially with this statement above mine... That's the only country music I could listen to... I love Johnny Cash and listen to Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn type music but most of the old stuff I'm not crazy about... The mix of country they have now has definitely increased the popularity of country music. It's that old stuff that people in NYC think of that turns them off... Plenty of real country singers out there that can be considered pop/country. Some that come to mind, Alan Jackson (for those who reminisce about old times check out "remember when"... one of my favorites of all time), Brad Paisley, Allison Krauss, Carrie Underwood, Scotty McCreary, Brooks and Dunn, Trace Adkins (some of his music is absolute crap but songs like "Til the last shots fired" give you goosebumps), Buddy Jewell (sweet southern confort), Diamond Rio, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw, Josh Turner (deepest voice in country music), etc.

Come on man, there's plenty of good artists out there that add to the demographics of country listeners... One thing I love about this type of music is that by and large, the vast majority of this music is good wholesome music that talk about real topics... It's one of the last types of music staying true to its form... As opposed to the other 95% of the garbage out there that has become so commercialized... Hip Hop other than a few underground artists out there has become trash... Same with most of the R&B (though to be fair it seems like with both genres this year, many artists are putting out more quality music)... and the same situations go for rock and pop...

Hopefully, the fact that the last pop singer with real substance in Adele took home nearly every award imaginable during the grammy's will give these artists an idea of what people are starving for...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
country music is all about lyrics. don't
get so caught up in the twang, because
it is still american english and you can
learn something from those country boys
too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City