Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I don't blame New Yorkers for not liking modern Country music or for not having a station there. If the only type of Country music I'd ever heard was the contemporary, Pop, corporate studio engineered, lyrical abortion Wal-Mart radio version, I'd hate it too. Most people that hate Country music haven't actually heard Country music. They've just heard Country Pop. Judging all of Country music for fakes like Toby Keith or Rascal Flatts would be like judging all of Rock for people like Nickelback. When you start hearing Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, John Hartford (NYC native), Ralph Stanley, ect., you can appreciate truly good lyrics and traditional western and southern folk/bluegrass/blues music (which country music started out as before they turned it into a plastic, mass produced Frankenstein's monster of what it once was).
Hmmm, you may have a point here...I happen to like Patsy Cline and she doesn't sound like what I think to be "country music". As you say, she's quite "southern folk/bluegrass/blues" sounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
. The closest thing we have culturally to southern American whites are the southern blacks -yes the blacks are the whitest people in new york- who share the same accent, food and religion as those that like country music..

1. It is complete nonsense to say that southern AAs sound like southern whites. Listen again. NY AAs also dont sound likle southern AAs, though there are still influences.

2. To say that AAs are more "European" than Irish immigrants is hilarious and indeed that is what you imply.

3. Southern blacks and whites have ben exchanging their Celtic/African/Anglo influences over the past 4 centuries. Maybe its more appropriate to say that southern whites are the "blackest" whites in the USA. Country music clearly has some commonalities with blues and is very different from Celtic msic out of Ireland and Scotland. Indeed its story telling narrative isnt out of place with many genres of Caribbean music, and it does have syncopation.

It might shock you to know that outside of the USA country muisc is most popular in the Caribbean and even Africa.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

[quote=nightcrawler;17360466]ok, that I will give you.

who wants to hear some young black man screaming curse words at me [quote]

Loads of white kids. Before whites got interested in hip hop is was party light hearted music. Compare Heavy D, Kid n Play, and others of that time with post 1990 rap.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
N

R&B and rock/punk music all have roots to country music. I do not understand why people do not give the genre the respect that it deserves.

Dont know where you got that from. Country developed out of a merging of the Celtic folk muisc brought by the Scots Irish with blues developed by the AAs whgich in turn has country influences. Rock grew out of the blues.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
I think mainstream country isn't popular here but the folk music genre is very popular. That's based off country big time. Hipsters love folk music and there are plenty of them

Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 PM

458 posts, read 616,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Ok, maybe I should have said Texas lol..
There are probably even more rock/classic rock stations in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Maybe there are no country music stations in NYC, because there are no trailer parks in NYC?
I don't get it. What's the connection between country music and trailer parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Hipsters love folk music and there are plenty of them
Hipsters love fake folk music that's played by annoying urbanites, not the real thing.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM

167 posts, read 306,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I have an ipod and I don't really like Pandora. I want to listen to it while I am driving. And I don't want to have to deal with controlling my Ipod and controlling the steering wheel at the same time.
get a smartphone then

internet radio, 4g... blah blah. stream it. welcome to the future.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I like both kinds of music: country AND western.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
you can listen to sean hannity if you switch to the am dial, does that count?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 PM

70 posts, read 125,907 times
It's actually pretty surprising that in a metro of over 20 million, there isn't at least one country station.

I know a lot of Nascar fans on Long Island and they might be into if exposed.

There are a ton of country stations upstate and in Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City