Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Wow never knew country music had this many haters. I guess some people just can't stand the sound of a steel guitar.

I guess I will buy a satellite radio plan then.
Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
I have found that a lot of people who do not like country music haven't actually listened to it. And when they did listen to it, they actually liked the genre. In other words, there is more to country music then Taylor Swift which I don't even consider country.
I respect your opinion on country music. However, we, the new yorkers from nyc think country music is tasteless. I have listened to country music and the lyrics and I am still find it tasteless. Moreover, you were the one that asked why no country music in NYC, so please do not get upset when we answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I respect your opinion on country music. However, we, the new yorkers from nyc think country music is tasteless. I have listened to country music and the lyrics and I am still find it tasteless. Moreover, you were the one that asked why no country music in NYC, so please do not get upset when we answer your question.
Ditto. I interned at a country music station for a summer. Even the people who work for the station didn't like country. And country fans are very fanatical.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
For NYC country music was a fad which lasted about ten years. Most NYrs had/have no connection to the music. You'd probably have to head to Allbany to catch a station over the air.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
[quote=ohiogirl22;17364701 country fans are very fanatical.[/quote]

i like country and grew up on it because that was the only other music was allowed in the house beside Pokla and the stuff that my older brothers and sister smuggled into the house that would listen to when my mom and dad where gone from the house ..

but iam not a Nascar fan because of the whole left turn type of driving on the course iam more of a give me a good old fashion country fair dirt track Demolition Deby and i am a pretty happy guy

i really do not follow alot of stars in the country music world along with likeing other styles of music from R&B blues singers from R Kelly nothing wrong to a little bump and grid style of bedroom music i call some of the music i have on the ipod to my workout music by dope die m.f. die and drowing pool let the bodys hit the floor type of hard rock and roll to tencho and movie soundtracks to celtic to a young lady called Charlotte Church style of singing to soft rock and love ballards to many others style of music i like on my mp3 player ..

the really only time i do listen to a radio station is more for drive time updates or weather conditions on the drive .the rest of the time it is sat radio or the mp3 player

like when someone asked me why i play golf and why do not really get into the game with all the least golf clubs and balls ..i tell them the only reason why i play golf because it the only legal way i can beat a object to death and take out all my anger on a little white ball and not get into trouble for it ..they give me that look like ok..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM

35 posts, read 75,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Country/western music is an rural, suburban based sound. Mostly listened to by people who live on farms, suburban house or houses in rural areas, It makes sense for NYC not to have a country station mainly do to the types of residence that live there. Its not rooted in New York like say Nashville, Dallas or Charlotte.
I can't stand country music, but you do know most people in the NYC Metropolitan Area (the media market) live in the suburbs right?

It has nothing to do with suburban -- NYers or "Yankees" in general just don't like country music. Country music is southern thing. Southerners and Northerners are very different, for example, right-wing conservative Glen Beck's talk radio radio show was canceled here but does well in the south.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 PM

326 posts, read 813,809 times
because ny is not a country state

Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
There was a country station in NY. 1050 WHN was an a.m. station that played country from the early 70s until 1987 or so. That station is now ESPN radio.

There was a time after 1050 moved from country that 97.1 which is now Hot 97 played country for a short time but then the station got moved to 103.5 which is now something else. I think the same owner owned both stations and moved the country channel to 103.5 in the late 80s. If I remember correctly, it didn't last very long and country was gone from NY.

A few years ago, someone told me that 107.1 (or something close to that) played country. Occasionally, I'd get a very static-filled signal and it was indeed country music but I haven't tried in a long time so I don't know if it's still there.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 PM

44 posts, read 65,270 times
"...it's not popular here." THANK GOD!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
I think there's a country music station out east on Long Island... no idea what the number is though and you can't hear it from NYC. Country is just not popular here. However, some country songs that become really popular do get aired on big NYC stations like Z100 (100.3) -- that song Need You Now played a million times here.

ps
Rap/hip-hop may not be music to you, but to millions of people it is -- and I would argue that the lyrics to many rap songs are much more complex than some "my baby left me" county music songs

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

134 posts, read 127,071 times
Nyers do not identify with the music, thus it is not popular here. I love country music as well it is such a beautiful genre. I gotten used to it being originally from Atlanta moved here August 2010. I just use those handy devices that let you listen to your Ipod through the car speakers so I won't have horrible hip hop and spanish music blasting in my ears. You can find them at Best Buy or someplace similar.

NYers are more into hip hop and spanish music. We speak english here there is no need for a Spanish station, IMO. Atlanta hip hop station is way better, at least with southern rap you can dance to it. I never liked NY rap, but that is the norm here for obvious reasons.

R&B and rock/punk music all have roots to country music. I do not understand why people do not give the genre the respect that it deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City