Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times

Advertisements

This is a city where every construction project cost 1 billion minimum. Why is it so expensive to get things done here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I disagree, even the stations that are being rebuild suck big time. The only station I saw that was up to the international standard was the Coney Island/Stillwell terminal building they completed in 2005. I am not even talking about the stations in Manhattan that are downright horrible and hands down the worst subway stations in the world.

After you ride a subway where stations look like this NYC stations won't be looking so hot.

seems like your going boarder line for no reason. I can care less if nyc subways do not look like museums with arts and crafts.

i like the subways looking original but up to date, and new.

is that what the op meant? did he mean redone as is why doesnt nyc make its subways look like museums?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
seems like your going boarder line for no reason. I can care less if nyc subways do not look like museums with arts and crafts.

i like the subways looking original but up to date, and new.

is that what the op meant? did he mean redone as is why doesnt nyc make its subways look like museums?
I picked the above stations on purpose precisely because they DO NOT look like museums. Those are just average good looking subway stations given as examples of how stations should look. This just reflects the low standards some New Yorkers have.

Here, for example, a real "museum station" I didn't give as an example (Athens, Greece metro):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/78...e339494b_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/75/17...313ef275_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/17...12b67949_b.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

349 posts, read 781,665 times
I kind of like the grittiness of the subway stations. There are a lot of idiots in the US so you have to plan for the lowest common denominator. No way a station that nice would last in NY before some idiot did something to screw it up.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Move to one of the cities you mentioned. Problem solved.

Don't expect the city to change for you.

Spoken like a true NY'er!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I kind of like the grittiness of the subway stations. There are a lot of idiots in the US so you have to plan for the lowest common denominator. No way a station that nice would last in NY before some idiot did something to screw it up.
The problem I have with MTA is that they approach building most of the stations the same way they would build basements in projects. The floors are made straight out of concrete. There is mold/fungus inside the stations that gives you lung diseases, some stations are so bad they would've been closed down in other countries. Most of the stations don't even have a proper ceiling. I mean, come on now. I am not demanding it to be all fancy and sht, but a ceiling once in a while would be nice.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
LOL what do you guys expect from a old subway system. But NYC subway is like buying a work van. do you really need a CD Player and an Ipod jack to haul around dirt and supplies? do you need a powered windows? you dont; and thats why you dont need to have subway stations that look like inside of a posh hotel. NYC subway system is simply a work horse. to haul people where they wanna go..not to invite people to stand and stare.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The problem I have with MTA is that they approach building most of the stations the same way they would build basements in projects. The floors are made straight out of concrete. There is mold/fungus inside the stations that gives you lung diseases, some stations are so bad they would've been closed down in other countries. Most of the stations don't even have a proper ceiling. I mean, come on now. I am not demanding it to be all fancy and sht, but a ceiling once in a while would be nice.
well the new Fulton station should look nice lol. im sure the 2nd ave line will look nice when complete also.

but ike an above poster said. Why make those type of subways in new york city when we all know damn well within a week some idiot ruins it with graffiti or garbage?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
While I agree some upkeep would be nice and well appreciated, subway platforms aren't meant to look like hotel lobbies.

The subway is utilitarian. It's dirty, nasty, gritty, filthy, and infested with rats. In that regard, it's very New York.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/23/420x316-alg_subway_worst.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
While I agree some upkeep would be nice and well appreciated, subway platforms aren't meant to look like hotel lobbies.

The subway is utilitarian. It's dirty, nasty, gritty, filthy, and infested with rats. In that regard, it's very New York.
when was that taken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City