Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times

Advertisements

I was speakin of criminal persons only, not "NUKING" the whole poor population out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM

67 posts, read 92,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
You're so delusional....You must be a troll.
I'm definately not a troll but I wouldn't be surprised if you were. Since you support entitlement programs and "protecting" the HOOD demographic, you're probably a troll working for the "Working Families" organization or ACORN.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
On some level its both sad and funny that there's all this hatin' on the Bronx, much of it tied to race and class. Many of my friends of color (and some of the white ones too) have much the same feelings about Staten Island. No one that I know has ever chosen to move to Staten Island while many I know have chosen to leave. The way some posters here think so much of the Bronx is "ghetto" and dysfunctional there are people of color who think Staten Island is nothing but mobsters, cops and garbagemen, and full of ignorant Republican working class white people who would be appalled if they moved next door.

Is that true? To a degree. Just like the Bronx is ghetto. To a degree. But obviously its not the whole story in either case. Just a plea to consider the stereotypes and where they're coming from. Everybody has their own. Let's move past them.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I was speakin of criminal persons only, not "NUKING" the whole poor population out.
Well theres a co-relation between being poor and crime so thats why I stated that. But I agree, not all poor people are criminals. And those shall be spared. Everyone else gets NUKED!!! LOL

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
On some level its both sad and funny that there's all this hatin' on the Bronx, much of it tied to race and class. Many of my friends of color (and some of the white ones too) have much the same feelings about Staten Island. No one that I know has ever chosen to move to Staten Island while many I know have chosen to leave. The way some posters here think so much of the Bronx is "ghetto" and dysfunctional there are people of color who think Staten Island is nothing but mobsters, cops and garbagemen, and full of ignorant Republican working class white people who would be appalled if they moved next door.

Is that true? To a degree. Just like the Bronx is ghetto. To a degree. But obviously its not the whole story in either case. Just a plea to consider the stereotypes and where they're coming from. Everybody has their own. Let's move past them.
I don't know much about Staten Island but I can tell you this much...look at the bad areas of SI, what CLASS of people are the ones making it bad and doing the crime? What's the demographics in those bad areas? I bet those bad areas in SI have a very simular demographic to other borough "hoods". See a pattern?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
ashley2011 You're missing my point. Its not the rough areas of State Isalnd I'm talking about. It's the so-called "good" areas. These are the spots where many people of color --working and middle-class people mind you -- will feel unwelcome, like they're in hostile territory surrounded by all those gold-chain wearing Tony Maneros who don't want to or don't know how to connect with them as neighbors. The same feeling some white folks might feel in lots of parts of the Bronx--and not parts of the Bronx that are seriously bad mind you. Its the tragedy of color and class keeping people apart who have more in common.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
I don't know much about Staten Island but I can tell you this much...look at the bad areas of SI, what CLASS of people are the ones making it bad and doing the crime? What's the demographics in those bad areas? I bet those bad areas in SI have a very simular demographic to other borough "hoods". See a pattern?
Stop beating around the bush. Just say it, blacks and hispanics are bad.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Stop beating around the bush. Just say it, blacks and hispanics are bad.
But at the same time you have well educated, proper conduct blacks and latinos who don't live in those bad areas who don't resort to that ghetto lifestyle. So it's not that clear cut. However you can't ignore the elephant in the room. All I'm saying is look at the demographics in all NYC hoods and describe to me what type of people you see?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Hints, Allegations and things left unsaid...

Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Ashley you are always too harsh and unreasonable on these threads, and cannot see the bigger picture here. The Bronx is challenged not because of the people, but because of the dysfunctional Leadership and gov't policies that have sunk the borough for decades. While you blame the people, you think it was the people flooding the communities with homeless shelters? It was the people filling solid working class housing projects and communities with homeless/convicts/drug addicts/destitute? You think it was the people who said "please ignore our communities and let them crumble?" You think it was the people who self-segregated themselves and then decided to be destitute?

The problems here fundamentally come down to bad/non-existent leadership (which continues today..remember Ruben Diaz jr's "We rather not work" comment when discussing the Kingsbridge Armory?) and failed gov't policies...and we are all living with it. And the people we see today are the aftermath of these abuses and corruption. Who comes to this country looking to be just as poor/unsafe as the place they left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City