Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
And on another note, temp and staffing agencies have HIJACKED the application process. My previous company, major corp. based in Los Angeles ONLY hired people through a temp/staffing agency. Unless it was upper management, everybody came through the temp/staffing agency. For a lot of companies, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get your foot in the door unless you know somebody because they've got these contracts with staffing agencies. How does it even make sense for HR to pay a staffing agency out the nose to find someone for them, when they could just DO THEIR JOB and deal with the resumes that come directly to them? They could take that extra money being spent on the recruiter and give the applicant a decent wage. I think eventually something will need to be done about this. Why do we need a middle man to help us find jobs?
Because its like a liability free interview process...While the company must pay the staffing agency, they also get the choice of hiring or firing very easy clean and simply, after evaluating the temps on the job performance.

If the temp works out well, some companies will actually pay to break the contract and hire the temp ASAP to keep from something unforeseen to cause the temp to leave early. Others will wait out the contract then hire the temp.

If the Temp doesn't work, you just call up the agency and tell them to get rid of this one and send another one over...without no Red Tape or Exit interview process, they're gone that same day. Where as it may take 2-3 weeks to get rid of a new Full time employee as alot of paper work and due diligence has to be preformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 AM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Because its like a liability free interview process...While the company must pay the staffing agency, they also get the choice of hiring or firing very easy clean and simply, after evaluating the temps on the job performance.

If the temp works out well, some companies will actually pay to break the contract and hire the temp ASAP to keep from something unforeseen to cause the temp to leave early. Others will wait out the contract then hire the temp.

If the Temp doesn't work, you just call up the agency and tell them to get rid of this one and send another one over...without no Red Tape or Exit interview process, they're gone that same day. Where as it may take 2-3 weeks to get rid of a new Full time employee as alot of paper work and due diligence has to be preformed.
It's sad. So what the heck does HR do anymore? Just a rhetorical question. This system completely draws a line between the employer and the employee, there's no loyalty on either end.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM

Temp workers do have a time and a place. I'm not saying that they completely need to be done away with. But what I've seen at 2 giant companies I've worked at, is the gradual replacement of permanent employees with temp employees. If someone leaves, they replace them with a "temp to perm" employee, which never gets hired on because they terminate the contract before they have to hire them and find a new one.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You are on point....most jobs can be learned on the job.
OJT is a thing of the past. You either come in with all the necessary skills intact, accept 8-12 dollars an hour, or you take a hike.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
OJT is a thing of the past. You either come in with all the necessary skills intact, accept 8-12 dollars an hour, or you take a hike.
I know and that is the problem! Like I said back a few posts ago, people have become too expendable to corporations. It is kind of like having a number stamped on your back.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Temp workers do have a time and a place. I'm not saying that they completely need to be done away with. But what I've seen at 2 giant companies I've worked at, is the gradual replacement of permanent employees with temp employees. If someone leaves, they replace them with a "temp to perm" employee, which never gets hired on because they terminate the contract before they have to hire them and find a new one.
Very true! Watched this when I lived in South Carolina.....most of the big employers would only use temp workers.....they would never hire them permanently. Why? For some reason they believe they are saving money with a temp worker because they do not have to pay medical, dental etc.

The reality is that they are still spending the same amount of money....what they save by not hiring a permanent employee is then spent paying the staffing agency!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Very true! Watched this when I lived in South Carolina.....most of the big employers would only use temp workers.....they would never hire them permanently. Why? For some reason they believe they are saving money with a temp worker because they do not have to pay medical, dental etc.

The reality is that they are still spending the same amount of money....what they save by not hiring a permanent employee is then spent paying the staffing agency!
I think these companies are suffering in productivity, though. Or I hope they are. At my last company, I was the last employee they hired on permanently (other than upper management and c-levels) before they went strictly temp. Everybody HATED that company. You could just feel the disdain and lack of energy at office gatherings. Happy hours were notorious bitchfests and it was sad how everyone hated their bosses, the CEO, etc. Bonuses had been done away with, they even got rid of the Christmas party for christ's sake... and yet our CEO was making a record $10mil and having a helicopter pad put on the roof... and our company wasn't even turning a profit, and hadn't been for 6 years. Everybody who worked there who didn't have a C in their title absolutely despised the company and were looking for a way out.

That experience totally jaded me. I will avoid working for a corporation ever again if I can.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I don't know about the rest of you but I only will work for someone else as a means to an end. I keep developing my own business model by the day. When I have enough cash to actually make it realized I'm done with these *******s. When the CEO looks around and wonders why all his/her employees have crap for brains they should understand this. Maybe then they will not take profit at a 500 to 1 ratio.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Quote:
I know and that is the problem! Like I said back a few posts ago, people have become too expendable to corporations. It is kind of like having a number stamped on your back.
Well OJT can never completely go away...Companies these days have such proprietery systems and databases, and no 2 corporate cultures are alike anymore...that OJT is a must in some aspects, you can have a Masters degree in your field and come into a company in your field and be completely clueless on how things get done. I've seen it.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Well OJT can never completely go away...Companies these days have such proprietery systems and databases, and no 2 corporate cultures are alike anymore...that OJT is a must in some aspects, you can have a Masters degree in your field and come into a company in your field and be completely clueless on how things get done. I've seen it.

Maybe so. Why then, is it, that they expect you to have experience in it, when it is proprietery to them?! I swear, I have nothing to lose at this point. Do not be surprised if I just bust out my AK and start taking the right people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City