Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

4 or 6 years. the NY state online juror handbook will tell you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Thanx.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I never responded the last 2 times that I got the letter in the mail
and that was about 3 years ago. I have no interest and I would do my best impression of rainman to get out of the jury pool.
They don't have the resources to track down everybody who doesn't show up. I don't fall for the
scare tactics.

I could care less about doing my "civic duty." In life you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do.
Sorry, but I think that's a deplorable attitude. Your government doesn't ask much of you, even when we're ostensibly at war. It's the least you can do.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In New York,
How long does doing jury once free you from serving a SECOND time.
It was 3 years in NJ, is it similar in NY?
I just served in Brooklyn in March, and was told I'd be free from jury duty for eight years. But, they also told me to keep my letter of service as proof because I could receive another notice as soon as next year. I liked it, it was fascinating. I'll do it again.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Default I got picked to serve on a criminal case

for 2 weeks last winter. It was the last thing i wanted to do but there was nothing i could do. when i was serving my workload at the job quadrupled and when i came back i had to work 6 days per week (but i got a chance to make extra $$$) for the next 2 months to make up the work, and all the serving and extra work drove my glucose up, but in the end i was still glad i served. i hated the other jurors(they used to gossip that they found me "boring" but that's their loss, i wasn't there to make friends)

worst thing was spending too much time waiting and waiting instead of being in the jury box. it was kind of fun even tho i didn't go to lunch with anyone

Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Default no problem

take me to lunch makosa, just don't call me "boring"!!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I don't know about New York, but here it's considered contempt of court if you don't show. That could result in a fine and jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I never responded the last 2 times that I got the letter in the mail and that was about 3 years ago. I have no interest and I would do my best impression of rainman to get out of the jury pool.
They don't have the resources to track down everybody who doesn't show up. I don't fall for the scare tactics.

I could care less about doing my "civic duty." In life you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do.
Despicable. Tens of thousands of young men (and women) have given their lives to protect our freedoms and rights, including those to fair trial with a jury of our peers, but you could care less. And you say it as if you're proud!

I've proudly served as a juror at three trials. I never enjoyed it, and each one cost me time, money and inconvenience, but the accused have a constitutional right to a jury trial, and the least we can do is sit and listen. Hey, it's not all about YOU.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Default well isn't it still civil contempt

vs criminal contempt? a violation of the judicial code vs the penal code?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
take me to lunch makosa, just don't call me "boring"!!
Of course you're not boring and lunch anytime! Did you find the jury duty experience to be better than you expected? If jury duty was the lottery I'd be a rich man. This was my fourth time served and every time except once, I caught a case. Like the judge said, Brooklyn court is very busy, aren't they all!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Default I was in The Bronx

we got there at 10 AM (but i got there early to have a big breakfast because we didn't lunch until after 1)

sometimes we got sent home early, once we stayed home, called in at 11 then were told not to come in but we still got credit for the day. they made us come in on the snowstorm of 2/26 only to sit in the jury box and be told to go home because court was cancelled

i was an alternate juror as was another juror. what annoyed me was the second to last day. we were not allowed to sit in on the deliberations because we were alternates so they locked me in a room with a moody temperamental woman juror who starts a conversation with me then cuts me off when i tried to answer her. then she asks to borrow my cellphone to call her babysitter(how rude). the last day i was locked in with this woman for hours with nothing to say so i read the paper and tried to guess if i could see NJ from The bronx

finally the verdict was in, defendant acquitted and w all had lunch together on the court

after we went down to the assembly room to pick up our proofs of service papers. it was there that the loudmouth ringleader of the jurors started whispering telling everyone i was boring

i almost told her to go **** off but i knew better

once i get out on the street, a fight breaks out between 2 young kids, cops start scrambling. i got out of there as i did not want to end up back in court as a witness...

i will never forget 2/16-3/2 of last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City