Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM

58 posts, read 237,506 times

Advertisements

Use to get the milk left in the box by Dellwood dairy. In winter was best...like you said the cream would rise to the top of the bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsavelli View Post
Does anyone remember the bagel man and the milk man? The bagels were still hot and the milk had cream on top. Dugens used to come around and my mom would buy fresh cakes and we would ride on the truck. Try that today with all the law suits. I remember going off to Mentone and drag racing, these were great times!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Two of the most popular bars up in town. Don't forget the Rosedale tavern on Sunrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle Brunson View Post
was online and came across this site what memories didnt realize how much i missed rosedale great place to grow up just gonna throw out some MOD CUT: not a reunion site places some still here some long gone ps 195 schoolyard handball st clares school brookville park killanes pit stop pals
clubhouse carnabys Mod cut more lol

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Default and Charles Chips

of course, I remember Dugan's! They were originally Krugs in Brooklyn & then Krug-Dugan's.
And if you went off to Mentone you were a bad boy!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Use to go to Brownies to buy brand new Pensey-Pinkies to play stickball with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie W View Post
I remember all these places! The stationary store was Brownings. I remember Elsie's very well, they were so nice. I lived in Rosedale from 1950 to 1972 when I got married and moved to Woodhaven. Really brings back lots of memories!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,143 times
I grew up in Rosedale fro 1963 and my parents were still living there until 2004! I went to PS138 and remember the tunnel, roses deli and all the fond memories of the Old rosedale. Mod cut: not a reunion site

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-20-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Not a chat board or reunion site.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 PM

40 posts, read 173,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens54 View Post
Two of the most popular bars up in town. Don't forget the Rosedale tavern on Sunrise.
That was one of my hang outs of choice in '69 and '70 .

Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,058 times
for those asking about Uncle Miltie's Candy store in Rosedale, it was owned by my father from about 7 years. He sold it around 1962.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-23-2009 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: NOT a good idea to post your name or other identifying factors online. Please see the terms of service.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 20,092 times
I was wondering if any one knows who Weller, Mayda, Newhall, Huxley, Caney, Edgewood, Bentley, etc were? These streets have to be named for someone.....

When my parents moved onto 148 Avenue and Weller Lane, we could sit on the stoop and see all the way across the swamps to Idlewild Airport. There was a street mid-way along Brookville Blvd. in the middle of the swamps. I always wondered what happened to those houses and the people who lived there....Why did they tear down those houses?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM

40 posts, read 173,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeniey View Post
I was wondering if any one knows who Weller, Mayda, Newhall, Huxley, Caney, Edgewood, Bentley, etc were? These streets have to be named for someone.....

When my parents moved onto 148 Avenue and Weller Lane, we could sit on the stoop and see all the way across the swamps to Idlewild Airport. There was a street mid-way along Brookville Blvd. in the middle of the swamps. I always wondered what happened to those houses and the people who lived there....Why did they tear down those houses?
The burnt up and burnt down mostly at seperate times in the 50's , but some burned together on that block south east of the wooden bridge . I am on 148th just east of Brookville , and as a kid would hang out in the swamps . When there was a fire I would walk to the site as kids do . Many houses were abandoned and lived in by squaters I guess , but some were kept up , and had fresh paint . None exist today . Less dumping there now as well . Pretty darn clean IMO . Still no frogs in the area , but that could be for other reasons . See a possom in my yard every couple of years or so .

Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 14,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by up1950s View Post
It still is great . You just have to not leave your keys in the car .
Park facing the right way on the street .
Lock your doors .
Stay behind those locked doors .

Actually I have had few problems here , 1953-2009 so far . Many places I had wished to live on this rock have had news worthy crimes , where Rosedale has not . It was better , so has most other places , just ask the neighbors in the towns you all fled to . If none of you ran like rats off a sinking ship in the 1980's when the schools were reorganized , the place would still be mostly what you admired . I get along with as many neighbors as I did many decades ago . You folks didn't get kicked out , you gave it away IMO . I hope for your new towns sake you stay put , or move for other reasons than what most of you fled Rosedale for .
Well said up1950, very well said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City