Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

I am all about:

street cars
bike lanes
dedicated bus lanes
pedestrian plazas and zones
removal of highways when feasible
expanded freight train/barges
more trains
solar panels on all government buildings and on a % of all highrises
changing all garbage cans on street corners to a 3 unit can (glass, plastic, regular garbage)
all government vehicles, including buses 100% electric
all cabs 100% electric with plug in stations throughout the city exclusively for their use
more parks and 100% waterfront access in all boroughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
blah blah another discussion that goes back and forth amongst car haters, and those who use/need them.

The US, including NYC, rely on and need cars. When you come up with ideas that work, and can sustain transit/life without the incredibly auto subsidies NYC gets- then I'd love to hear them.

Start ticketing bikers, and pedestrians too- and we'll start to see everyone sharing the road a little bit better causing less driving frustrations, and walking/biking frustrations for everyone.

When's the last time you've seen a jaywalking ticket issued in this city?
or the last time you've gone a day without hearing about a biker getting killed- shortly after seeing one blow through red lights like they only apply to cars.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
It would be a massive improvement if all automobiles were banned outright in lower Manhattan and parts of the other boroughs--except for emergency vehicles, cabs and deliveries/moves. There is no need to take a private vehicle into the city when there are subways, buses and cabs. However, there are too many idiots with expensive cars that absolutely have to show off at all times so I doubt this will happen.
If there weren't needs- people wouldn't be doing it.

Do I love driving in lower manhattan, HARDLY- do I do it on a weekly basis, sure. 5 times out of 7 it's not for pleasure... and why should cabs be exempted from this rule? They're private vehicles too.

Is your issue cars, or parking?!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
it is simple build up staten island it is much less dense than the rest of the city (about 8,000 ppsm).
and add more bridges from staten island toward the city.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM

80 posts, read 174,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
blah blah another discussion that goes back and forth amongst car haters, and those who use/need them.

The US, including NYC, rely on and need cars. When you come up with ideas that work, and can sustain transit/life without the incredibly auto subsidies NYC gets- then I'd love to hear them.

Start ticketing bikers, and pedestrians too- and we'll start to see everyone sharing the road a little bit better causing less driving frustrations, and walking/biking frustrations for everyone.

When's the last time you've seen a jaywalking ticket issued in this city?
or the last time you've gone a day without hearing about a biker getting killed- shortly after seeing one blow through red lights like they only apply to cars.
If NYC depends on the automobile, why is it that less then half of New Yorkers own one? Even lower in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Why is it that even less commute via automobile?

Automobiles cause a lot more problems in this city than bikers and pedestrians. The city should be pedi-centric. The more urban NYC gets the better it is for New Yorkers.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If there weren't needs- people wouldn't be doing it.

Do I love driving in lower manhattan, HARDLY- do I do it on a weekly basis, sure. 5 times out of 7 it's not for pleasure... and why should cabs be exempted from this rule? They're private vehicles too.

Is your issue cars, or parking?!
My issue is congestion and the myriad of problems associated with it. Why do you need to drive around the city when there are subways, buses and trains? You spend money on gas, time finding a parking space, frustration at the insane traffic patterns, and sometimes a ton of money on parking garages.

I excluded cabs because I recognize the need for occasional transport by car--getting an elderly person to a doctor, or a drunk college student who needs to get back to the dorm but is too intoxicated to manage the train, etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobroguy View Post
i am all about:

Street cars
bike lanes
dedicated bus lanes
pedestrian plazas and zones
removal of highways when feasible
expanded freight train/barges
more trains
solar panels on all government buildings and on a % of all highrises
changing all garbage cans on street corners to a 3 unit can (glass, plastic, regular garbage)
all government vehicles, including buses 100% electric
all cabs 100% electric with plug in stations throughout the city exclusively for their use
more parks and 100% waterfront access in all boroughs

f a n t a s y - l a n d

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
My issue is congestion and the myriad of problems associated with it. Why do you need to drive around the city when there are subways, buses and trains? You spend money on gas, time finding a parking space, frustration at the insane traffic patterns, and sometimes a ton of money on parking garages.

I excluded cabs because I recognize the need for occasional transport by car--getting an elderly person to a doctor, or a drunk college student who needs to get back to the dorm but is too intoxicated to manage the train, etc.
plenty of subway workers get to work via automobile, and all maintenance trucks need automobiles.

the subway itself relies heavily on auto subsidies-
gas taxes, $1 cab surcharges, TBTA tolls (more than 4 dollars of each toll goes towards NYCT and MTA Rail), registration and car rental taxes, etc.

buses, are autmobiles.

trains, have sometimes awkward patterns of operation. LIRR has 90 minute gaps between trains, MetroNorth does not run late at night, and NYCT subway trains on weekends esp. in the evening can be incredibly awful.

If you live in upper Manhattan, and work in greenpoint, you might find yourself with a 10 minute drive, of 55 minutes in public transit.

This city makes it incredibly difficult on auto drivers, which isn't always particularly fair, especially when you consider the region just outside NYC and how difficult life can be for people from Jersey and Long Island who work or go to school in either NYC, or the outlying areas.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
If NYC depends on the automobile, why is it that less then half of New Yorkers own one? Even lower in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Why is it that even less commute via automobile?
Because it is SO cost prohibitive, and time consuming to own an auto.

I'd be willing to wager though the higher levels of income and education, the more likely one is to own an auto registered in this city.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:

Because I hate buses with a passion !!

Subways are fine if I lived in the City, but I don't.

I would rather be in the comfort of my own car and regulate the temperature and listen to music than have to ride on public transportation with disgusting skanky ass looking people.

I hate having to listen to other people talking, to the schoolkids that behave like animals to smelly people that do not bathe, seeing people eat food on the trains....I could go on!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City