Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 11,319 times

Advertisements

My husband, son and I are just starting to explore areas outside of Brooklyn for a potential move. We absolutely love Brooklyn, but we want more for our money. We miss having outdoor space, and need a good school district for our 4 yr old son. We like urban living (walkability, seeing people on streets, etc.), so don't want to go to Westchester, etc., but have passed through the Bronx and Yonkers on our way to check out Westchester in our earlier search, and became curious about them. Are there any parts of the Bronx/Yonkers that are "up and coming" and relatively safe with easy access to the city? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I know absolutely nothing about them other than the trash talk I've heard. Should I believe the negative hype, or can i find a hidden gem? How 'bout Queens? Any areas that aren't all "Mary on the Half-Shell" and fit the above description?

Thanks so much for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Melrose is the new up and coming neighborhood in the Bronx. Check out ther area, if you like the vibe start filling in applications.

As for hidden gems there are these landmarked historical districts.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerdelore View Post
so don't want to go to Westchester, etc., but have passed through the Bronx and Yonkers on our way to check out Westchester

Yonkers = Westchester

Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
If you want a good school district AND more value for your money, that eliminates almost everywhere in NYC! "Up and Coming" and good school districts never go hand in hand remember.

Considering all your requirements, Riverdale is probably the only option, mostly because you need a good school district.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
There are a couple of areas in Queens that have blue ribbon schools. They are walkable but probably not as commercialized as Brooklyn.

If you insist on Brooklyn, consider either Catholic or private schools. If you plan on sticking to only one child, then maybe you can look at independent private schools whose tuitions are almost the same as the residential tax in suburban good school districts.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Eastern Queens has very good zoned schools, District 26; however, that part of the borough is not as walkable as other areas, and tends to have more in common with closer-in Nassau County than it does with the urbanity of Manhattan. Riverdale has decent schools as well, and is a bit more urban in places, but it is not a 24-7 area as businesses tend to close relatively early, when compared to Manhattan. Forest Hills would also be on the list to consider, and is a bit more built-up than Eastern Queens.

Yonkers has a couple of outstanding schools, and then some problems. The issue in Yonkers is that virtually every school is a magnet school because of the loss of a desegregation lawsuit in the 1980s that requires busing to balance neighborhood demographics. Two magnet programs are very competitive, however, at Pearls Hawthorne and Yonkers High (IB-only curriculum in the entire school).

NYC schools are a challenge in dense areas popular with families, too, like the UES, TriBeCa, and Park Slope because the school class can be overcrowded, such that your student could be reassigned to another neighborhood school that may not have the same reputation as the program into which you thought you were buying/renting.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM

So which areas are they? I don't know a thing about Queens. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
The problem in the city is that improved schools are probably the LAST thing to get better when a neighborhood gentrifies. First comes better housing, then better retail, then the nightlife and restaurants, and finally the schools. But by that time the neighborhood is already so desirable it's no longer affordable.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Default School zoning question . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
NYC schools are a challenge in dense areas popular with families, too, like the UES, TriBeCa, and Park Slope because the school class can be overcrowded, such that your student could be reassigned to another neighborhood school that may not have the same reputation as the program into which you thought you were buying/renting.
One of the big reasons we're looking to move is because our zoned school has a horrible rating, and after reading a bit more about it, it just doesn't seem like a good fit for us as all. My son's not in school yet, so I'm not well versed in the ins-and-outs of NYC school zones, etc. Do we necessarily have to move to get into a better school, or will we be stuck going to a sub-sub-par school if we stay? I know I can apply to "out of zone" schools but what are the chances we'd actually get in?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Have you thought about moving to Long Island? Yes, the taxes are much higher than Queens but there are great school districts and the majority of your taxes are actually school tax. When I was house hunting, I chose the areas I liked based on the school districts. I am originally from Queens but the houses cost more, the property is less and not all areas have great schools. I ended up moving to Franklin Square. We're in Nassau's 5th top school district and the area is walkable. I have the benefits of LI but in an area where I still feel like I'm in the boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City