Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman Jr View Post
Not sure what you consider art but writing your name, street cliq, block, etc in graffitti would not be consider art to a lot of people. Also, performing your "art" when you are not asked or wanted to is similar to pushing views/morals on a person.

Graffiti Photo Kings on Vimeo
*sigh*

I never once implied anything you just said. I did however say beauty is in the eye of it's beholder. What's art to you, most likely isn't art to me or the next guy & girl. That's the beauty in it. We don't have to agree on this and we won't. I was never trying to imply that graffiti is a cool thing to do. I just happen to LIKE these photos. TO ME, they are a work of art. From a photographic stance, to be more specific.

Furthermore Art/being an artist, is a skill EVERYONE (in today's society) seem to think they possess. "Oh anyone can do that" -_____- I'm not talking about "names/gangs" - that's tacky to me and pointless.

Please explain to me how performing your art is like pushing your (personal) views/morals on a person? You can like or disagree with an artist point of view, most don't mind that at all. That's the point of being an artist, evoking emotion/causing controversy (not saying all graffiti artist will be/want to be the next 'great').

I was just a little ticked off at some of the responses, so narrow-minded. Let's look at the photos for what they are and NOT what they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Ok that's gross and even more scary that people would pay to see this.

Wasn't there also some story about a woman giving birth on stage as performance art a few weeks ago? I remember reading it somewhere.
Yes, some crazy hipster treated to do this a few months back, don't have any updates...But if you read it I guess the child is born.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-18-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Yes, some crazy hipster treated to do this a few months back, don't have any updates...But if you read it I guess the child is born.
I knew I wasn't imagining it. And to think she named her son after a household cleaning product.....
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...llery-patrons/

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM

17 posts, read 45,939 times
Ive been living in nyc my entire life (24) and my mom used to tell me about how
dirty it used to be..i do recognize some of those trains, like the A/C and the 5 (or
some other number train). LOVE the photo of the chick on the back of outside..
looks like Far Rock, only place I know where you cross so much water. Sometimes
you can see the remaining tags in places..especially the Q to Coney Island. If
your not a native New Yorker sometimes its hard to see the beauty. NYC for life.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Ok that's gross and even more scary that people would pay to see this.

Wasn't there also some story about a woman giving birth on stage as performance art a few weeks ago? I remember reading it somewhere.

Another attention starved "artist" attempts to do something edgy.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
OMG I was crying laughing from the video you posted in that thread.

I work on the border of Williamsburg and Greenpoint. It's now going to take all my strength to not take a baseball bat with me on my way to work tomorrow.

ETS: Unless I beat someone down with it and call it performance art of course.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 AM

111 posts, read 173,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
*sigh*

I never once implied anything you just said. I did however say beauty is in the eye of it's beholder. What's art to you, most likely isn't art to me or the next guy & girl. That's the beauty in it. We don't have to agree on this and we won't. I was never trying to imply that graffiti is a cool thing to do. I just happen to LIKE these photos. TO ME, they are a work of art. From a photographic stance, to be more specific.

Furthermore Art/being an artist, is a skill EVERYONE (in today's society) seem to think they possess. "Oh anyone can do that" -_____- I'm not talking about "names/gangs" - that's tacky to me and pointless.

Please explain to me how performing your art is like pushing your (personal) views/morals on a person? You can like or disagree with an artist point of view, most don't mind that at all. That's the point of being an artist, evoking emotion/causing controversy (not saying all graffiti artist will be/want to be the next 'great').

I was just a little ticked off at some of the responses, so narrow-minded. Let's look at the photos for what they are and NOT what they were.
Defacing public/private property is pushing your personal views on a person/society. Keep that "art" in an art gallery or a canvas.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You mean you didn't appreciate the responses declaring graffiti to be vandalism? Then I must ask you the same question I always ask such people: if someone came along at night and tagged your house (or your living room, if you happen to live in an apartment), would you still call it art?

The bottom line--which doesn't change no matter how many times you try to justify it--is that defacing someone else's property is not art. Never has been, and never will be. The ONLY exception to the rule is when it's commissioned.

Anyone who says the subway had "character" when it was full of graffiti is facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. And probably consuming certain controlled substances, as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Studded Leather...please provide your address, so I can have artists create a masterpiece of graffitti all of your home, car, and place of business. Since you can mentally detach the vandalism aspect, you will surely appreciate the art itself and we will all marvel at its beauty and agree with you.

Until then, you are just making excuses for the defacement of private property.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The way some people become nostalgic about the violent, crime ridden NYC of the 70's and 80's reminds me of how eager young people used to be to go to fight prior to the Vietnam war. So wide eyed and excited about all the heroism and glory they would get to experience but completely unaware of the extreme suffering they were about to face.

Of course not all was bad about that time period in the city and not all is good now, but la
rgely life is much better and less harsh than it was then. Anyway, enjoy the safety and relative prosperity of today because bad times always cycle back. Anyone that wants graffiti and fear will eventually get to experience it.
Oh, nobody really misses the crime. They miss a city that was more genuine, more real. One that was not dominated by chains and the uniformity that brings.

To live in New York is to exhibit a certain machismo. Its crowded, expensive, fast-paced, and always a bit mad. It's also exciting. The graffiti trains were a part of that machismo. The ever-present feeling of living in a place that is great, but also scares most people.

Not saying it's rational. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City