Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 PM

449 posts, read 877,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you park both cars on the street or in a driveway? The insurance companies charge you more if you park on the street. Also, you can get a reduction in insurance if you go to your local precinct and let them etch/engrave the VIN number on your windshield.
No, I have a two-car-garage. They are never on the street. And thank you for the tip. I will go to the police and have it done, just hope they do not break the windshield, because I do not if I am covered for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
Since it's been almost 3 years since the last fender bender, wait until March and get a report. Forgot the name, but I know there is a report you can get of your driving record from the DMV, which insurance companies use along with your credit to judge your amount. Then get a quote from all of the companies.

Also if you haven't done it yet, taking a 5 hour defensive driving course will also lower your insurance.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
its a good idea to check your CLUE report. thats the data base insurance companies use to see what claims you have had .

its the credit report of the insurance world.

you are entitled to 1 free report a year.

you want to check auto and home for accuracy

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...le/landing.jsp

Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
So broken down numbers reflect only HALF a years billing, but that $2,884 is a full year. I understand.

If you are without chargeable accidents recently, and you haven't gotten any moving violations in years, then you can get cheaper insurance. But both of these items up your rates VERY HIGH.
(I once worked with a guy with a Corvette, a couple tickets and a recent accident and he was paying 10 GRAND a year...boggling.

But with your record, why not shop around?

(Is that "Umbrella Policy" covering things other than auto? Like homeowner's, renter's, flood or other liabilities? I mean, if you are covering yourself against slip and fall lawsuits up to $1 Million, then you are going to pay for it.)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
when shopping for insurance its not just chargeable accidents, its any and all claims that effect your rate regardless.

while in new york your present insurance company cant raise you for comprehensive claims the truth is they can drop you.

any claims at all including those roadside assistance perks insurance companies offer can raise your rates or get you not accepted by a new company.

geico roadside assistance bringing you gas , giving you a boost or coming to help you when you lock your keys in the car can portray you as a careless driver or someone driving an ill maintained vehicle.

broken windows, vandalisim , hit while parked,theft etc all effect new company rates or eligibility when you shop.

if its on your clue report another company can and will hold it against you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 PM

449 posts, read 877,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So broken down numbers reflect only HALF a years billing, but that $2,884 is a full year. I understand.

If you are without chargeable accidents recently, and you haven't gotten any moving violations in years, then you can get cheaper insurance. But both of these items up your rates VERY HIGH.
(I once worked with a guy with a Corvette, a couple tickets and a recent accident and he was paying 10 GRAND a year...boggling.

But with your record, why not shop around?

(Is that "Umbrella Policy" covering things other than auto? Like homeowner's, renter's, flood or other liabilities? I mean, if you are covering yourself against slip and fall lawsuits up to $1 Million, then you are going to pay for it.)
The Umbrella Policy covers the cars and the house, but I pay separetely for that one, $300 per year,plus the $2,884.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,520 times
Keep in mind that different policy prices at different companies can vary wildly by state. When I came to New York City I was shopping around and it looked like the best I could do was Progressive for $1,200 a year, then I called Geico and got the exact same coverage for $620.

I recently called them to see how my premium would be affected if I moved back home, just for curiosity. Going from parking my car on the street in Harlem to a garage in a boring suburb of Atlanta raised my premium by about 33%.

I also had a wreck I was at fault for about two years ago that they paid $3,000 to fix and it never affected my premium; I'm still kinda scratching my head on that one, but not going to complain.

Also, the personal injury protection is pretty awesome. If you're injured and a vehicle is involved, you're covered. I was walking across the street a little over a year ago and was struck by a vehicle and broke my ankle. My car was no where near me, but the personal injury protection paid all my bills since a vehicle was involved (again with no affect on my premium).

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM

387 posts, read 680,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

Also, the personal injury protection is pretty awesome. If you're injured and a vehicle is involved, you're covered. I was walking across the street a little over a year ago and was struck by a vehicle and broke my ankle. My car was no where near me, but the personal injury protection paid all my bills since a vehicle was involved (again with no affect on my premium).
I have Geico, how does that work?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,258 times
that price sounds about right, maybe a little high but corolla's are high demand for theives.

i had to sell my porsche bc of a reckless driving charge while speeding on interstate (Ohio). raised my insurance to $10k range for nyc. so no car until end of 2013 (5 years on record). if i had known i would have lawyered up.

back on topic, please drive SAFE and be smart with what tickets can ********* over for insurance!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I have Geico, how does that work?
Just call them up and start a claim process like normal. Be prepared for a mountain of paperwork.

I believe the personal injury protection (PIP) is mandatory in NY, if not all no fault states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City