Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,778 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people are mocking you here because of previous posts...deserved or not, I am sincerely not when I say you might want to consider that your unhappiness has nothing to do with where you are living or have lived. Sounds like maybe you are expecting place you move to to be "the answer" but and provide you with something you feel is missing in your life...but what it might (most likely) actually be is inside yourself that is the root of your u.nhappiness. Before packing up and uprooting again, it might be helpful to do some deep reflective work to figure out within yourself what the real issue is...what you might be hiding from or keep running away from. No thing or person or place outside of yourself is going to fix that. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
you know what haters do?
they complain about new places, yet they keep moving around for find a new place to settle
You know what true haters do? They act like cowards by making fun of people behind the safety of the internet instead of offering real advice or trying to help and/or understand them.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,165 times
Don't beat yourself up. It takes a lot of guts to move from a small town to Harlem. I have lived in NY all of my life and I contemplated Harlem for a day and that was enough for me. If I recall correctly, you moved to Chicago in search of a better quality of life. It appears that your money seems to go further there. You need to decide what is important to you.

Rent in NYC has gone up astronomically. It is very difficult to have a good quality of life here. I've been apartment hunting and it boggles my mind what you get for the money today. I plan to relocate for a better quality of life.

I recommend that you come back for a visit to figure out if it is just nostalgia. Sometimes we have to leave to understand what we had. Good luck!

Last edited by goodlife36; 02-16-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,720 times
No matter where you live you have to work at having a comfortable environment unless you're someone like Mark Zuckerberg or Oprah Winfrey and even they probably had some problems here and there.

I've seen people like you along the way when they had to "rough it" in life because they're not used to it, never had to live it then are easily discouraged.

Baby you can't change the world overnight and sometimes never, you can only do your best, strive for better. Once you do you'll be so proud of yourself and no one can give you that or take it away.

Btw, don't be hatin' on my mid-western food!

I miss my Chicago style pizzas, and real sausage, hoagies, and good pork breakfast sausage. New York can take that greasy drippin' pizza. Yeah I said it! Only a few I can stomach.

And don't get me started on grocery store produce of NYC. Looks like the mice been running over it all night nibbling. Rotten fruit still left out to be sold. I love NYC but with the exception of 5-star restaurants and parts of Manhattan buying real FRESH foods is like finding $100 bills on the street.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,925 times
Lol, I never had a problem buying fresh produce in Manhattan. But then again, I lived next to Fairway. And to the people who think I'm miserable no matter where I go... there is some truth to that. It's sort of hard to be happy when you used to be middle class and now you're not. The last several years of my life have been a living hell. It's sort of like there's nowhere to run in this country anymore, it just sucks ass no matter where you are. And to the people trying to mock me behind a computer screen, you are a bunch of douchebags. If your lives are so great and you're so happy you wouldn't feel the need to beat up people for no good reason. I didn't live in Harlem because I liked it, I did it because I was poor and struggling, needed a roof over my head. If you're all uppity and rich good for you. Congrats.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 02-16-2012 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
So I moved to Chicago for work, to be closer to family, and have a more affordable place to live. I have never been so unhappy in my life. People here are the worst, so fake. At least in New York if someone needed to talk smack they did so to my face. Also, the food is terrible. Saucy sausage on dough is considered 'pizza' here. And you cannot find a NY style slice if your life was to depend on it. I miss it so much... I had to vent to all of you. I didn't realize what a good thing I had there until I lived in this place. F.
I know this nice chick from Tennesse, no joke. She lived in NYC for two years in small shoebox apt with her boyfriend and dog paying 2500 dollars a months rent. She decided to move back to the South. After four months she missed NYC and decided to move back up north. For her NYC had more to offer especially job wise. Plus she told me that life back home is bland and NYC is more colorful. But how can it be more colorful when gentrifiers are a like in thought and mindset aswell in color to some extent. I find it quite surprising that outsiders love NYC more than some locals do. Oh btw I love Chicago style Pizzas they are so much dough and meat and thick cheese. Chicago style Pizzas is really designed for midwestern stomach.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,256,981 times
The original pizza is of course Margarita with virgin olive oil, tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil.

But my favorite Pizza is with

Pepperoni
Ham
Bacon
Extra cheese

I guess I don't live long.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,941 times
"you might have change the scenery but not the situation"

im like that too except nyc is the only place i was happy ever in my life.. now im back in my old city and god i hate it ! but i didnt have a choice
but i thought chicago would be the closest thing to nyc living, i guess not

Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,921,791 times
If I ever left NYC Chicago would be one of the last places I would move to.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
If I ever left NYC Chicago would be one of the last places I would move to.
I concur. Why would I move from one big city to the next it doesnt make any sense. For me I rather move from a big city like NYC to a small city like DC or a mid size city like Seattle or Las Vegas or even Detroit Big Cities like Houston, LA and Chicago are not options for me. To the OP your best bet is to go back to NYC or the closest thing to NYC interms of culture and gentrification is San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City