Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrensmith View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me a lil heads up... I am a medical student going to Brookdale Hospital (have heard the area isnt good) and I was looking into renting an apartment on crooke ave in brooklyn, taking the bus on ocean and church ave.... is this pretty safe to do? Including the bus. I live in Miami so I dont think I will feel too uncomfortable but I unfortunately look very distinct to people- tall skinny blonde hair blue eyed girl... bummer... any suggestions? I was thinking the bus was my best source to the hospital since it drops you right off at the door... please give some input Greatly appreciated!
Yes, the area to the immediate north of Brookdale Hospital is not the greatest. But you'll be fine taking the bus. And as checkmate said, the 35 runs extremely slow since Church Avenue is only a 2 lane street. But it is the safest way to get to Brookdale from where you'll be living.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,917 times
Great! Thanks soo much! good thing I'm a morning person :P

Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM

15 posts, read 70,536 times
This is a very helpful map, there's a music festival in commodore park on August 25/26. Closest subway for me is Dekalb, about a 15 minute walk, just how bad is it? Looks like I can walk up Flatbush Ave, then up Gold Street up to Concord Street, then across to Commodore Park, doesn't take me into too much of the red until the park.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Yeah, you should be alright if it's during the day or if you're in a crowd. The main reason those were put in red was because it's bordered by the projects. (I would've thought those would've been orange, but I don't know the area well).

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,435 times
125th and St. Nicholas isn't red?? really??

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
125th and St. Nicholas isn't red?? really??
That's correct.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Seventhfloor is like the dictator of the safety maps. No matter how much we the people "object" to something, the final say is Seventh's. Checkmatechamp is a "yes" man, and since he is avid follower of Seventh, there is no use in discussing any of the shadings on the map. I would tell everyone to take the map with a grain of salt, as it is really the opinion of one man, a man who is pretty much "immune" to the hood. I recommend people look at NYC crime maps, based on actual data, and not on one man's opinion.

Seventh this is not a slight to you, I just think the map is pretty poorly constructed. Oh, and this doesn't have much to do with the Grand Concourse issue.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
I dont live in NYC, but I have to ask if the area along Myrtle near Pratt, and then going to the hasidic blocks along Bedford, really justify "orange" we walked that just after dark early this summer - my wife, my young adult daughter and myself - my wife has urban experience but still gets nervous in borderline sketchy areas - and we were all pretty comfortable walking along Myrtle. If it wasnt yellow then, it looks like it could become yellow any day. Bedford I think presents a different issue - the standard issue long islander may not immediately recognize the safety benefits of the hasidic presence, but folks who arent hardened urbanites, but ARE familiar with those sects, might well recognize that.

I just dont think it suddenly gets that much scarier when you cross flushing avenue.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Seventhfloor is like the dictator of the safety maps. No matter how much we the people "object" to something, the final say is Seventh's. Checkmatechamp is a "yes" man, and since he is avid follower of Seventh, there is no use in discussing any of the shadings on the map. I would tell everyone to take the map with a grain of salt, as it is really the opinion of one man, a man who is pretty much "immune" to the hood. I recommend people look at NYC crime maps, based on actual data, and not on one man's opinion.

Seventh this is not a slight to you, I just think the map is pretty poorly constructed. Oh, and this doesn't have much to do with the Grand Concourse issue.
So make your own safety map then. We take constructive criticism and have made changes based on those suggestions. Let it be known that my contributions to the maps are from personal experiences and not what I've seen on TV or read in the paper.

So somebody can just make whatever suggestion to the map and we're just supposed to jump and change it? Absolutely not. Go make your University Heights/Morris Heights map, and then i'll update it. Seriously.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-17-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I dont live in NYC, but I have to ask if the area along Myrtle near Pratt, and then going to the hasidic blocks along Bedford, really justify "orange" we walked that just after dark early this summer - my wife, my young adult daughter and myself - my wife has urban experience but still gets nervous in borderline sketchy areas - and we were all pretty comfortable walking along Myrtle. If it wasnt yellow then, it looks like it could become yellow any day. Bedford I think presents a different issue - the standard issue long islander may not immediately recognize the safety benefits of the hasidic presence, but folks who arent hardened urbanites, but ARE familiar with those sects, might well recognize that.

I just dont think it suddenly gets that much scarier when you cross flushing avenue.
Updated. However the orange alludes more to the fact that after dark some of those blocks are really desolate due to most of the area north of Pratt being predominately industrial, and the residential conversion over there is still in process. With that being said,robberies late at night happens sometimes over there. Nevertheless, I extended the yellow to Classon Avenue.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City