Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just having a bad week, but it just seems like everytime I turn around I am handing over more and more of my hard earned money to New York State.

Last week I renewed my driver's license and bam!, that will be eighty buck please.

Hand in my tax sheets and was surprised by a whopping NYC/NYS income tax. 5 thousand bucks, really?

Notice comes in the mail on Tuesday and NYS wants $375 by the end of the month for me to keep good in my professional registration. I am underemployed and the state wants me to keep good on a license that I cannot even make use is. Lady says, "pay it, or lose it!"

Spring is finally here, and to relieve a little stress signed up for Zipcar and thought I would head out of town on my one day off. Bam! 20% rental car tax on already inflated fees. Bam! Hit the tolls. Bam! That will be 8 bucks to enter the park. But it isn't even Memorial Day yet. Pay up, or get out! BAM!

This was all in just one week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Sound like you should move to someplace that has lower taxes,fees and surcharges.There are a lot of options.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Maybe I am just having a bad week, but it just seems like everytime I turn around I am handing over more and more of my hard earned money to New York State.

Last week I renewed my driver's license and bam!, that will be eighty buck please.

Hand in my tax sheets and was surprised by a whopping NYC/NYS income tax. 5 thousand bucks, really?

Notice comes in the mail on Tuesday and NYS wants $375 by the end of the month for me to keep good in my professional registration. I am underemployed and the state wants me to keep good on a license that I cannot even make use is. Lady says, "pay it, or lose it!"

Spring is finally here, and to relieve a little stress signed up for Zipcar and thought I would head out of town on my one day off. Bam! 20% rental car tax on already inflated fees. Bam! Hit the tolls. Bam! That will be 8 bucks to enter the park. But it isn't even Memorial Day yet. Pay up, or get out! BAM!

This was all in just one week.
What are you licensed in?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM

108 posts, read 171,411 times
I'm often amazed at this myself. All these small taxes and tolls must add up to a huge sum for the city.

Which wouldn't be so irritating if NYC Dept's and agencies weren't so mind-numbingly slow and aggressively incompetent. It all seems designed to drive the remaining middle class out of NYC.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
To be fair, the drivers license renewal breaks down to $10 a year. Which isn't too terrible. (I know, I feel your pain, I renewed last month myself).

As far as getting out of the city, there are ways to avoid tolls depending on where you are going. I know you can get between Manhattan and the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn without paying tolls if you know which bridges to use.

As for your taxes, there is an option. I'm guessing you're getting 1099's. When you fill out the W-4 for clients, simply calculate the taxes from checks as if you were on payroll and every month put it aside in a bank account so you have the money when you're hit with a large chunk at the end of the year. (This is what I did when I was freelancing).

I won't deny it's expensive to live here and we get nickel and dimed every where we turn. It's one of the reasons I am looking to move out of here.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 20,726 times
As long as Conjestion Pricing and that 5 dollar toll isn't happening on the "free bridges", I'll stay in New York, however Gas Prices and some Tolls are the things that cause you to bite your lips, I prefer Pennsylvania's and New Jersey's gas prices over New York's.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Anyone paying $5,000 in taxes to NYS and NYC is doing pretty well. Hard to make that klind of money in Podunc.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
NYC has a lot of hangers-on who need supporting. Someone's gotta pay.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
I make around $70,000 a year. It might sound pretty good, but I am also paying back a lot in student loans.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I make around $70,000 a year. It might sound pretty good, but I am also paying back a lot in student loans.
Did you not have any withholding on that income? You shouldn't owe anything right now.

Also, Zipcar pays for the tolls for you, so you don't have to pay anything if you're using a Zipcar. Or did you pay in cash instead of using the Zipcar's E-Z Pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City