Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,658,854 times

Advertisements

I am still wondering why so many want to be NYers put Harlem as their first consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,952,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I am still wondering why so many want to be NYers put Harlem as their first consideration.
Because it is important for many Americans, especially liberals, to demonstrate that they are not racists, and that we live in a "post-racist" culture. They do so by moving to a predominantly black area like Harlem. In addition, I have observed that many do so in order to consume ghetto culture, keepin' it real and all - deficits in their own lives. The oddest thing ? I don't think they are even consciously aware of this.

Whereas, the natives who have moved here have been priced out of their original neighborhoods, and/or no longer want to live there given absolute transplantization - what I would call it. They are no longer neighborhoods. People who had no business moving to New York in the first place did so, stayed, and changed areas into something close to what they already knew out there in non-New York America.

My observations.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM

5,527 posts, read 8,800,582 times
Quote:
I've met many Europeans who move to Harlem and I find that they do so, living in the newer developments or expensive brownstones, because they come w/o the negative stereotypes many Americans still have. Perhaps they romanticize the place, I don't know.

I've also met younger white kids who've moved to H and who also simply don't
Labor under all the negative stereotypes. They want a place to live in the city and find it isn't nearly as awful as Folks say. Plus they like the convenience to the rest of e city. Again, these are kids with decent jobs who don't have live in the worst areas of Harlem

But white families moving here is rarer because, like I say, of the schools. The one that I know has gone private.

I have also talked to people who actually relish Living in a community that is mixed income, unlike most of Manhattan, and don't freak out that they have neighbors who are poor. And those who have bought, of course , believe that their property will ultimately appreciate to downtown levels or close to them

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM

174 posts, read 415,669 times
I live on the UWS and I have children. Personally I would not move past 96th.
Its so different when you dont have kids I think and I would probably not mind as much. I live down in the 70's and feel very safe. I do come from a Country where guns are illegal so it does scare the crap out of me these shootings.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM

55 posts, read 124,587 times
Quote:
Harlem is definitely not my first choice, my husband was pushing it because its less expensive than the rest of the areas we have looked at. As I said before my husband is cheap. I was never very interested in the possibility but i wanted to make sute i wasn being close minded.

I don't mind living is a diverse neighborhood, either racially or economically. I'm from Reston, VA just outside of DC and while our rough areas aren't nearly as bad as some it is diverse. And the point of Reston, when they were planning it, was to put all different types of housing near each other. You literally have million dollar condos near the homeless shelter and subsidized housing near upscale neighborhoods.

After reading all of these comments I am definitely taking harlem off the list. I was told Williamsburg isn't kid friendly, so I haven't looked there but the affordability of many of the kid friendly suggestions kind of freaks me out. I'm looking forward too exploring the city this summer and seeing our options.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,658,854 times
Op, you should change your title, ask "Queens" instead of "Harlem".

Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times
I posted about some of the various kid-friendly activities in Jackson Heights, Queens. You might put it on your list to check out, as rents are very affordable. The post where I listed activities and linked to photos of Play Street is here https://www.city-data.com/forum/23973087-post7.html

The problem is that your husband would not have a 30 minute commute to the Financial District. Jackson Heights is close to Manhattan by train (12-15 minutes on the E or F, once on the train) which could make a 30 minute commute, but that would be to Midtown, not downtown. I think a commute to the Financial District would be 45-50 minutes, and that's only if you got an apartment that is in quick walking distance to the main Jackson Heights train station.

Anyway, definitely check out the post I linked to above.
If you only have time to click one link, click the one on the Play Street as that gives a good indication of the number of small kids and the multicultural nature of the neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
I don't think Harlem would be a good fit. Harlem is nothing like Reston, more like parts of Northeast DC in terms of overall crime rates and age/condition of housing. Queens is a better consideration for a family, though, as pointed out above, the commute will not be 30 minutes to the financial district. Closer-in areas of Brooklyn, such as Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, etc. would be within the preferred commute range, but the areas are also not bargain-priced. Parts of the Upper East Side would also fall within rental range, if you were considering a 2BR, around $3k, but you might also consider Forest Hills in Queens as it is a good area for families. Forest Hills is about 45-60 minutes to the Financial District, requiring subway connections, or the QM11 express bus which takes about an hour.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 AM

55 posts, read 124,587 times
My husband doesnt need to go to the financial district, his job is in midtown so Ill definitely check out some of the areas suggested.

I think its safe to say Harlem isnt going to be considered anymore. The last thing I would ever do is put my kids at risk- no matter how affordable my husband thinks it is.

I appreciate all of the advice!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
With kids, I recommend the part of Harlem that's South of 96th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City