Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I am still wondering why so many want to be NYers put Harlem as their first consideration.
Because most Americans are sheep and they have bought into the commoditization of certain neighborhoods.For the most part they have little or no knowledge of the crime rates and day to day quality of life.They just blindly accept whatever crap is pumped out about the next new "in" neighborhood.

Because of television,advertising and the failings of the educational system we have lost the skills required for critical thinking and analysis.We let the corporations and the media do the analysis for us and then just accept it.This is why we have "lost our way".

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-12-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Because most Americans are sheep and they have bought into the commoditization of certain neighborhoods.For the most part they have little or no knowledge of the crime rates and day to day quality of life.They just blindly accept whatever crap is pumped out about the next new "in" neighborhood.

Because of television,advertising and the failings of the educational system we have lost the skills required for critical thinking and analysis.We let the corporations and the media do the analysis for us and then just accept it.This is why we have "lost our way".

Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM

42 posts, read 169,612 times
The reason us 'want to be' new Yorkers pick Harlem is simply because it's the cheapest area in Manhattan. Many of us come to our senses after we discover the animals and savages that live there. It is still a rotten ghetto.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM

5,525 posts, read 8,791,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
The reason us 'want to be' new Yorkers pick Harlem is simply because it's the cheapest area in Manhattan. Many of us come to our senses after we discover the animals and savages that live there. It is still a rotten ghetto.
Animals and savages?

Please crawl back under the rock you came from.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,942,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Animals and savages?

Please crawl back under the rock you came from.
The rock I live under is in Harlem, has been for some years, and I am from New York - as is my significant other, who is a Harlem native.

Unfortunately, there are a great many people who behave exactly like savages in Harlem. They do so on the streets every single day. Or in movie theaters and restaurants. This is a fact. All of the denial in the world will not change this fact, on the contrary, it makes finding a solution near impossible.

However, I would never say they are like animals, who do take take care of their young, for example. People should avoid such comparisons.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times
the internet has people talking super reckless.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 AM

175 posts, read 423,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

A lot of transplants end up in Harlem because they think that if they're not living in Manhattan (or maybe a hipster neighborhood in Brooklyn) then they're not "really" living in New York City.

It amazes me that people would rather move to a random block in Harlem than consider any of the other boroughs. Because of television, what they think they know is that Queens nothing but Archie Bunker and that the entire Bronx is just one big ghetto.

Too many Sex and the City reruns, not enough common sense .

Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM

120 posts, read 203,608 times
Harlem is not for everyone. But I have lived in the city for over a decade, looked in many locations and boroughs, and still decided to move to Harlem.

I don't regret it and did not move to a random block. I chose very carefully and don't regret my decision one bit. I like the neighborhood, I like the people.

It is not right for everyone but it is right for me.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,267,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I am still wondering why so many want to be NYers put Harlem as their first consideration.
Because they want the manhattan zip code and the location and comparative price of Harlem makes it attractive to these people.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,065,085 times
Harlem is so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City