Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

That would've been a GREAT deal, even tough the FD is dead boring after 7pm.

But almost $1,400 for a room? meh...

BTW, the food in NYC can be pretty good and not so expensive if you know where to buy....
It is dead but it's only a short distance away from better nightlife...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Right next to Chinatown, too. Some decent eats and good food shopping (for produce, seafood and meat *IF* you know where to go) in Chinatown, which is close enough to take advantage of even if you live in FD.

FD is a great bargain for Manhattan.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
skilldeadly, you're exaggerating wildly, unless you're only talking about Manhattan below 96th St. Also the food here is better than anywhere else I've spent significant time, and I mean all the food, not just fancy restaurants. Even a bad slice of pizza by NY standards is better than what they call pizza in other places.
Exaggerating wildly? Really? 1000-1400 for Manhattan? When out of towners speak of Manhattan they think Empire State Building and WTC and Times Square, they don't think Morningside and Harlem. Craigslist and the scams that are on there don't help either. They assume those ads are real. The best I have seen below 86th is 1500 for a 1 bedroom on the LES and that might even be a scam.

By food I mean groceries. You can't tell me that the groceries you get in Manhattan (hell this whole area) is any good. Maybe I'm spoiled with Wegmans upstate, but the fruit and veggies here are gross. Plus its far more expensive for lackluster product.

Food itself is great in NYC. You can get anything you want. You have so many choices it makes your stomach hurt trying to get to even 1% of them. But it's very very expensive. 10 dollars for a salad. That's fair lol.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Quote:

True, but for $1,400 you can get yourself a studio or 1 br apt in a more vibrant neighborhood. Think LIC, Sunnyside, Astoria, Prospect heights, Fort Greene, Carrol Gardens, etc..

If I was single, I would prefer living by myself.
I couldn't stand bringing over to my place a nice lady for an after-party (of 2), just to have a roomie in his pj's creeping around the apartment.
But I know people do it.
it's just not for me....But hey I guess to each his own, right?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Right next to Chinatown, too. Some decent eats and good food shopping (for produce, seafood and meat *IF* you know where to go) in Chinatown, which is close enough to take advantage of even if you live in FD.

FD is a great bargain for Manhattan.
It really is. I always thought it was a boring place just because once the workers leave, it trails off. But they are constantly putting more bars and resturants down there. Trying to push more people to move there. I say LES and FD are the two areas that are ready to grow because of the bargains to be had.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
True, but for $1,400 you can get yourself a studio or 1 br apt in a more vibrant neighborhood. Think LIC, Sunnyside, Astoria, Prospect heights, Fort Greene, Carrol Gardens, etc..

If I was single, I would prefer living by myself.
I couldn't stand bringing over my place a nice lady for an after-party (of 2), just to have roomie in his pj's creeping around the apartment.
But I know people do it.
it's just not for me....But hey I guess to each his own, right?
That's true. It's personal preference. I have lived with someone all my life, whether its parents, my friends, and then now my GF. I'm used to having someone there. Honestly, I never had to worry. But I also lived in Upstate where a roommate in his PJ's is the normal outerwear lol. Unless you have a hermit roommate they are out working long hours then going out and having fun in the city. You probably rarely see each other.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
It really is. I always thought it was a boring place just because once the workers leave, it trails off. But they are constantly putting more bars and resturants down there. Trying to push more people to move there. I say LES and FD are the two areas that are ready to grow because of the bargains to be had.
Love the LES!

I think the LES has already been growing for quite some time, but the lack of subway service is keeping it a bargain. There's only 3 or 4 subway stops for the whole neighborhood and all of them are west of Clinton st leaving more than half of the neighborhood to rely on busses (unreliable, oye..). That reminds me I need to go eat at Shopsin's. Anyway, the FD is far less remote, most subway lines run through it with plenty of stops.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Exaggerating wildly? Really? 1000-1400 for Manhattan? When out of towners speak of Manhattan they think Empire State Building and WTC and Times Square, they don't think Morningside and Harlem. Craigslist and the scams that are on there don't help either. They assume those ads are real. The best I have seen below 86th is 1500 for a 1 bedroom on the LES and that might even be a scam.

By food I mean groceries. You can't tell me that the groceries you get in Manhattan (hell this whole area) is any good. Maybe I'm spoiled with Wegmans upstate, but the fruit and veggies here are gross. Plus its far more expensive for lackluster product.

Food itself is great in NYC. You can get anything you want. You have so many choices it makes your stomach hurt trying to get to even 1% of them. But it's very very expensive. 10 dollars for a salad. That's fair lol.
There are plenty of good places to get fruit and veggies, you just don't know where to go. For starters familiarize yourself with the farmers markets locations and schedules.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
True but I think that area will always be "deader" comparitively. Its a business area and a tourist area but both things wane by night time. The businesses in that area are mostly geared to cater to that vibe. Its gonna take more than a few nightlife places to overcome that.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
True but I think that area will always be "deader" comparitively. Its a business area and a tourist area but both things wane by night time. The businesses in that area are mostly geared to cater to that vibe. Its gonna take more than a few nightlife places to overcome that.
I doubt it will ever be "the place" to hang out. I think a small amount of nightlife is fine for the area. Kind of like the UES. You live there and travel someplace else to party. For people that want everything within walking distance, it's not optimal. But for someone that doesn't mind very nice places with lots of options because of the subway lines that go through there, then it's perfect. I would think it's a great seller to people that want the Manhattan location but don't want to have people milling around at all hours. I wouldn't say families, but maybe older professionals or younger people that don't like all the noise and congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City