Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What kills me when people try to tell me how expensive MY city is. I think I would know, I've only been living here my entire life.

And a lot of people who are considering moving to the city are actually most often seeking outer borough accommodations. Then people will tell them that they have to live in the most ghetto areas of the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens if they aren't rich. I just saw a post where someone suggested that maybe a poster can find a place in Astoria for 1200/mo. Of course you can. People exaggerate so viciously here.

Most people who post here about moving to NYC seem fairly cognizant of the fact they'll be downsizing appreciably, but when they're told they're going to be homeless my eyes can't stop rolling.
That is so true! But for us native NY'ers, it's not THAT expensive because most of us make the salary that affords us to live here. It's all relative and people sometimes don't realize they have to readjust. When people come from outwest, midwest or down south where it's less expensive, the prices here are like a culture shock lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
In all fairness, your situation is more unique than the average waitress making minimum wage at a divey diner. The "chain" you work for most likely pays better hourly than most other places and I'm sure the tips are better there than if you worked at the corner coffee shop. Know what I mean? Also, you're sharing an apartment and not renting on your own so your portion of the rent might be lower than someone having to rent on their own. For a single person to rent their own apartment in a nice neighborhood might not be feasible because it's hard to find a 1 bedroom apartment or studio under $1000 in a good area in one of the boroughs. I would even exclude Manhattan. Wages in the food industry vary drastically. Waiters at The Four Seasons or Club 21 are probably making over $60k. I honestly don't think people intend to scare other posters but maybe trying to "keep it real". Sometimes people have this dilusional fantasy that if they can "make it here" they can make it anywhere but sometimes it's just not the case.

Well a few things, I have two serving jobs I no longer work for a H. I live in a share because I'm paying thousands for cosmetic surgery, but there's no reason why I couldn't afford 1200-1400 in rent if I weren't. Wouldn't want to pay more than that. Thirdly, there's about a million places that servers in NYC can do pretty well in (as in make over 50K), not just the Four Seasons or 21 Club, if they're actually willing to work full time and not the average 30 hours a week most servers work. There's no reason someone planning to serve in NY should look at a diner or coffeshop unless that person is unattractive, overweight, old, or has poor English skills. One of my jobs is just a regular sports bar on 3rd avenue and the head bartender at my job makes far more than 60K.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Well a few things, I have two serving jobs I no longer work for a H. I live in a share because I'm paying thousands for cosmetic surgery, but there's no reason why I couldn't afford 1200-1400 in rent if I weren't. Wouldn't want to pay more than that. Thirdly, there's about a million places that servers in NYC can do very well in, not just the Four Seasons or 21 Club. There's no reason someone planning to serve in NY should look at a diner or coffeshop unless that person is unattractive, overweight, old, or has poor English skills. One of my jobs is just a regular sports bar on 3rd avenue and the head bartender at my job makes far more than 60K.
I was just using those places as examples-that's why I pointed out that the salary is drastic. I have been to those restaurants several times but I wouldn't know their exact salary but imagine from what we paid that they aren't making $9/hr. That's exactly why I compared your scenario (didn't know you no longer work at the H). But also, you're working 2 jobs. If you worked at only one, would you still be able to afford the way you live now? And I think you hit the nail on the head. If you look a certain way and choose to work in a certain place, there is no money to be made. I respect anyone who will work 2-3 jobs to support themselves. There are people out there that want to work only 1 job but then complain that they're broke.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
But a lot of people are unattractive...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,702 times
So just like anything in life..the better looking you are, the more successful you will be lol

208 posts, read 464,230 times
I agree it doesn't take a lot of money to still have a good life in NYC. You can make under 50K and be able to live in your own apt.

3,052 posts, read 4,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I respect anyone who will work 2-3 jobs to support themselves. There are people out there that want to work only 1 job but then complain that they're broke.
Thanks, and I agree. I do work a lot, but a lot of my friends that don't work in the service industry I would say work as many hours as I do...and paradoxically for some reason servers seem to like working 30 hours or under, always ask to go home early, and then complain about how little money they have.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,508,457 times
Quote:
I mean, NYC is expensive, but some posters act like you have to be in a high powered job making at least 200K to live in the city.

I'm FROM the city, born and raised in Manhattan. I currently live in Borough Park, Brooklyn. Not the sexiest neighborhood, but it's safe. I could afford to pay more in rent, but I like having spending money.

I wait tables for a living. I've seen people tell people who work in the service industry that they will not be able to afford living in the five boroughs unless they can tolerate living in the ghetto. That just isn't true.

I'm a waitress and I get my nails done about twice a week, go the hair salon every two months (to get a full sew in, about 350 bucks), get my brows done, eat out, and pay my rent and am paying for cosmetic surgery. Life in the city isn't cheap, but I don't see why people need to scare others into thinking they have to have an extremely high powered job to move to the city or prepare to live on the streets.

It depends if you are single or not.I think it is hard for a family

Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks, and I agree. I do work a lot, but a lot of my friends that don't work in the service industry I would say work as many hours as I do...and paradoxically for some reason servers seem to like working 30 hours or under, always ask to go home early, and then complain about how little money they have.
I don't knock anyone who is willing to work in the food industry. I don't know if I could do it because I hate dining with very fussy people who want to change the entire menu lol...but it IS hard work constantly running around and being on your feet. Your 30 hours is nothing like my 30 hrs. I'm mentally drained but as a food server I think you get mentally and physically drained when you push those 40-50 hr weeks.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,164 times
I don't know how you can say NYC isn't pricey, when I think 99% of EVERYTHING there is more money.

I really can't think of an item that would be cheaper out there. Doesn't that make it pricey in comparison to the rest of the US?

Cigs alone are about $4-$5 a pack more, McDonalds prices in the city are higher than NJ, drinks on average is more expensive, and housing certainly gets you less bang for your buck in the city. It's pricey, no denying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City