Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

I'm a young black professional female in my mid-20s looking to buy property. The three areas that have caught my attention are: Harlem, UWS, and Astoria. My preference is Harlem.

Criteria:
Middle class neighborhood where I won't have to worry about my safety coming home late at night from work since I will be living alone.
Preferably other young professionals (diverse).
Aesthetically pleasing.

Any insight as to particular areas within Harlem, UWS, and Astoria to check out?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 PM

110 posts, read 300,101 times
West Harlem is pretty nice, especially 110th to 116th on the far west and the brownstones around 135th-145th. There are lots of shops popping up on Lenox as well. UWS has always been nice as long as you don't buy on the busy streets. There are a lot of very cute, small buildings there.

Astoria is lovely, but there are parts that are far from the subway and it's not the most diverse place in the city. I say buy in Harlem. It needs more young Black professionals that will inspire the local teenagers to do more with their lives than be part of neverending drama. And the price isn't too bad either.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Astoria is lovely, but there are parts that are far from the subway and it's not the most diverse place in the city.

Astoria is one of the most diverse areas in the tri state area I'd go so far to say. Or does diverse only mean an equal amount of black people to white people?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
What is your budget?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Astoria is one of the most diverse areas in the tri state area I'd go so far to say. Or does diverse only mean an equal amount of black people to white people?
Well it depends. I've seen and heard that there are mostly White, Latino and people of Indian descent in Astoria. I was looking at Astoria when I was considering moving but one of the things deterring me was that I felt a bit out-of-place. It is lovely nonetheless. If you don't care about that kind of thing, it's a great neighborhood and they have awesome street fairs.

And yes, what matters more here IS your budget.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Well it depends. I've seen and heard that there are mostly White, Latino and people of Indian descent in Astoria. I was looking at Astoria when I was considering moving but one of the things deterring me was that I felt a bit out-of-place. It is lovely nonetheless.
Interesting,I never thought of Astoria as lovely.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What is your budget?
about $400k

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Interesting,I never thought of Astoria as lovely.
Really? There are a lot of detached single-family houses the further you get from the train station and they're really nice. There's a very suburban feel about the area which is nice. Depends on what you call "lovely" I suppose.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Well it depends. I've seen and heard that there are mostly White, Latino and people of Indian descent in Astoria. I was looking at Astoria when I was considering moving but one of the things deterring me was that I felt a bit out-of-place. It is lovely nonetheless. If you don't care about that kind of thing, it's a great neighborhood and they have awesome street fairs.

And yes, what matters more here IS your budget.
Why did you feel out of place? Are you east asian or Black? I know Astoria has Greek and Italians, young suburban white transplants, hispanics off all origins, south asians and egyptians

Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Astoria has lots of diversity with "OTHER" groups (Asians, Hispanics, whites, Indians, Greeks) but not so many blacks. So I'm putting it out there; as a black person when I'm talking about diversity, I usually mean "are there other black people"? All said, the parts of Astoria I've been to (Ok, it was just the beer gardens), I liked. I should point out though, I was one of only two black faces in the whole place. Matter of fact, the friend I was going there with, who happens to live in Astoria, made some joke about being able to tell which train goes to Astoria- it's the one with no black people on it. Oh, I should also say that I didn't feel any hostility or funky looks, I was noticed that there weren't too many black people about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: