Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Astoria has lots of diversity with "OTHER" groups (Asians, Hispanics, whites, Indians, Greeks) but not so many blacks. So I'm putting it out there; as a black person when I'm talking about diversity, I usually mean "are there other black people"? All said, the parts of Astoria I've been to (Ok, it was just the beer gardens), I liked. I should point out though, I was one of only two black faces in the whole place. Matter of fact, the friend I was going there with, who happens to live in Astoria, made some joke about being able to tell which train goes to Astoria- it's the one with no black people on it. Oh, I should also say that I didn't feel any hostility or funky looks, I was noticed that there weren't too many black people about.
Generally blacks in Astoria mostly live in pjs like Astoria and ravenseood pjs. If your black and educated you better be transplant from minnesota so that you can fit onc with other midwesterners wheter they are white mexican or black and.educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintransition View Post
I'm a young black professional female in my mid-20s looking to buy property. The three areas that have caught my attention are: Harlem, UWS, and Astoria. My preference is Harlem.

Criteria:
Middle class neighborhood where I won't have to worry about my safety coming home late at night from work since I will be living alone.
Preferably other young professionals (diverse).
Aesthetically pleasing.

Any insight as to particular areas within Harlem, UWS, and Astoria to check out?

Thanks!
You're a BP and you're not interested in Brooklyn? Blasphemy!

In all seriousness, I don't know how far along you are in your search but I recommend StreetEasy.com as THE resource for listings. It lets you search by sections within these areas so you can see what there is in your price point. Also, recommend going to open houses on the weekends for places that are in your price range. Not only will it give you a tangible sense of what is out there but will also give you an idea of what the areas are like (during the day, at least).

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM

180 posts, read 335,389 times
I don't understand the reason why you feel the need to point out that you're black... Does it really matter?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
When you're looking for a place to live, being black ALWAYS matters. Sometimes only a little, sOmetimes a lot. But it matters.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM

180 posts, read 335,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
When you're looking for a place to live, being black ALWAYS matters. Sometimes only a little, sOmetimes a lot. But it matters.
You're probably just saying that to "keep it real"..

Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
I don't understand the reason why you feel the need to point out that you're black... Does it really matter?
You must not live in America or if you do you're blind to the fact that yes, it still matters.

I have a black friend, who is well paid lawyer, that questions whether or not her co-op board would have admitted her if she had to go through them (she bought it form the sponsor so there was no board approval). She lives on the upper east side.

I have another black friend, another a lawyer in the upper east, who was in her building doing laundry and was told "you're not supposed to use this elevator." Apparently, her neighbor thought she was a maid so she was supposed to use the service elevator.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
about $400k
Hope that's a down payment.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,943 times
Quote:
about $400k

Ok, this makes it easy. Astoria is all you can afford unless you buy in more seedy parts of Harlem like east of the subway or north of 145th st. Don't forget to factor in taxes and maintenance fees. A studio may be all you can afford unless you're in a not so desirable area or far from the subway.

Good Luck

Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Ok, this makes it easy. Astoria is all you can afford unless you buy in more seedy parts of Harlem like east of the subway or north of 145th st. Don't forget to factor in taxes and maintenance fees. A studio may be all you can afford unless you're in a not so desirable area or far from the subway.

Good Luck
Absolutely not true. You can get a co-op (not a condo) in these areas for around $400K. A studio or maybe a small one bedroom.

Here is the upper west:
StreetEasy: Apartments for Sale in All Upper West under $400,000

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
I'm thinking that in Astoria, you can get a 2BR condo for around 400K. I'll let Astoria realtors confirm or deny that. Similarly, a 2000 square foot town house in Castle Hill, Bronx, can go for about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: