Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 24,304 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Harlem for some years now. It doesn't bother me that my neighbors out on the street may deal drugs. They know my face; they know I'm cool...

However, I have to move now, and the place I was looking at: I was waiting in front for the broker with my friend, and some guy was obviously giving us that "you guys don't belong here" look. He then moved towards my friend, my friend moved out of the way, as he grabbed a huge stash of weed from inside the bottom of a light pole. At this point, I decided it's best we make our way out of there...

This was in Washington Heights, not far from the 168th St stop. However, the block definitely had its own "aura," and people didn't pass through here who didn't need to (hence the looks we were getting).

Now, I know this stuff goes on up here. But not being a neighborhood "regular," I felt a bit uncomfortable.

What say ye? Avoid, or no big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
I say trust your gut. If it seemed like pot dealing might be the tip of the nefarious ice berg, look at a few other apartments in other places instead and see if the vibe is more comfortable.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
If you are getting 4 nice rooms for $1K go for it.

Gotta love "You guys don't belong here" look!

Hey, maybe the "some guy" need a good swift kick in the nuts.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
Safe yourself the misery and suffer another 15 min uptown to Riverdale. You won't regret it.

Vinny BXRE

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXRENYGMAILCOM View Post
Safe yourself the misery and suffer another 15 min uptown to Riverdale. You won't regret it.

Vinny BXRE
Ya,I don't understand why people are willing to pay Manhattan rents to live in a ghetto neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,843 times
what is the block?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericomposer702 View Post
I've lived in Harlem for some years now. It doesn't bother me that my neighbors out on the street may deal drugs. They know my face; they know I'm cool...

However, I have to move now, and the place I was looking at: I was waiting in front for the broker with my friend, and some guy was obviously giving us that "you guys don't belong here" look. He then moved towards my friend, my friend moved out of the way, as he grabbed a huge stash of weed from inside the bottom of a light pole. At this point, I decided it's best we make our way out of there...

This was in Washington Heights, not far from the 168th St stop. However, the block definitely had its own "aura," and people didn't pass through here who didn't need to (hence the looks we were getting).

Now, I know this stuff goes on up here. But not being a neighborhood "regular," I felt a bit uncomfortable.

If you're not accustomed to seeing that type of stuff why subject urself to it? This is where you rest ur head.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Cops should do something about that slum that is Washington Heights.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:

Weed is all over this city my friend, its best to just ignore it and pay no mind. From Ghetto hoodrat areas to Yuppie areas to areas of glamour there is always weed to be sold. Potheads are all over the place from people of all races, creeds and income stratas. I visited Transplantish areas of the city, condos, coops, private roof top parties and I still smelled weed in the area, but these people in gentry areas were smoking good stuff like Kush or some some Sativa, compared to local ghetto hood rats who mostly smoke Purple Haze and Sours. Washington Heights is known for its notorious and lucarative drug trade for the past two decades. There is just as much weed flowing through the streets illegally just like how illegal alcohol flowed through the streets of NYC during prohibition era. I have always said the only benefit of outsiders moving to Washington Heights, Bushwick, Crown Heights etc is that your drug dealer is right next door!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:

It seems like you already decided not to take it, if you took off before the broker even got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: