Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times

Advertisements

Cabbies dont care about being PC, they know how criminals and gang bangers dress and behave.
If you're a skinny guy wearing jeans made for a 300lbs person, showing your underwear, covering only half of your ass, with a gold tooth, and a neck tatoo, you shouldnt blame the cabbie for not stopping for you.
You should look at the mirror and see why people might think you're up to no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Would be a fool to do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So you wouldn't pick up muslim or middle easterners wrapped with hooded garments & head gear, woman who cover themselves from head to toe where you can only see their eyes?

As long as you can see the person's face clearly, I would think taxi drivers wouldn't have a problem picking up a person regardless of turbans or headwear. But I hope they draw the line at a person covered in head to toe and you can only see their eyes. I wouldn't care what the gender or religion of such person is. First of all, you can't necessary tell what the gender of the person is if only their eyes are showing. This renders non-verbal communication and body language, which makes up a large portion of our interaction with people, completely void. You literally have no idea who you're transporting around (um, I think it was a woman or maybe it was a thin man, no wait maybe it was a teen girl with a belly), what they are carrying with them (i.e: handbag, weapon, maybe both). God forbid, they commit a crime against you. Politically correctness wouldn't help you then. You couldn't describe the person beyond their eye color (officer the person had dark brown eyes and black eyelashes -- yes sir, I'd recognize them in a line up anywhere!) Really?? You've just described most people from Africa, Asia, Middle East, Pacific Islanders, Aborigines and Native Peoples, and half of Europe! NYPD will have their hands full trying to comb through every immigrant or descendent from these places trying to find the ONE the robbed or assaulted you. Taxi's should have a sign "NO REVEALED FACIAL IDENTITY, NO SERVICE" just like some restaurants signs read in small print "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Deevel, so what you are saying is, since all those white guys have sunk our global economy through sheer fraud, causing a massive recession, layoffs, record foreclosures, etc, you do not put your money with banks that have white men as CEOs? You also don't invest in the stockmarket with any investment firm with a white CEO? We also know every financial recession was caused by white men in power...which means in general you stay away from any white men when it comes to anything to do with finances. All they know how to do is steal billions right?

This should make perfect sense to you. Do you agree?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM

195 posts, read 304,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I would NOT pick up any young blacks or hispanics wearing a hooded sweatshirt and/or oversized yankee hat! Why? Whenever there is a robbery or shooting of a taxi/livery cab driver, 9/10 times its either a young black or hispanic male wearing what I described above. Am I wrong? If you dont want to be profiled then dont dress the part! For the most part I myself dress neat casual, but I can recall one winter afternoon where I had to go pick up my car from the shop and threw on a black vest with black hooded sweatshirt and an army fatigue hat with the fatigue pants and timberland boots. Its not my usual attire but it was the first thing I saw that I didnt have to iron. Anyway, I could not catch a cab to save my life. They would slow down then speed right off as soon as they got a good look at me. You know what? I didnt even blame them. I wouldnt pick myself up if I were a cab driver and saw me.
I guess by that logic you wouldn't pick up a white man as they are, statistically speaking, more inclined to rape (2008 FBI Uniform Crime Report), serial kill, and perpetrate hate crimes (Hate Crimes Reported by Victims and Police," a 2008 Bureau of Justice Statistics Report). Nor would you pick up Muslims after 9/11 or Hasidic Jews as they are the largest groups committing hate crimes based on religious affiliation. While you're at it avoid those college guys, which apparently are inclined to burglar or commit larceny (American Sociological Association 2008).*

I'm not necessarily judging you, just applying your logic to similar situations.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I actually drove a yellow cab while I was in school, and I can guarantee you that back in the '80s, when crime was much worse than it is now, my biggest problems were with YOUNG people, regardless of color. After twice being beat from fares, both from times from white teenagers, I never again picked up anybody who looked under 21. And the black men and couples I did pick up were so grateful I didn't pass them by I always got good tips for taking them uptown or out of the city.

And having driven, I too faithfully report any cab that passes me by. With 311 you can do it immediately too. I have NO sympathy whatsoever for any driver who decides black people's money isn't worth it. And I particularly resent that so many cabbies are now immigrants and have picked up on the worst stereotypes of black people. New York is a whole lot better than whatever country they came from, and I can't stomach that someone would come to make a living in this country and decide that disrespecting black people is part of the way to do that. So bottom line is when I'm passed up and can get a medallion number I report it to 311 ASAP.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
This post is bs. I will agree that mostly blacks and Hispanics do the most of it, but a lot of them don't wear hoodies. They only wear it when it's colder outside?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
People are safer when they profile. The liberals are the ones that wanna cry racism anytime you profile.
Yea I'm sure trayvin martins killer agrees.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Cabbies dont care about being PC, they know how criminals and gang bangers dress and behave.
If you're a skinny guy wearing jeans made for a 300lbs person, showing your underwear, covering only half of your ass, with a gold tooth, and a neck tatoo, you shouldnt blame the cabbie for not stopping for you.
You should look at the mirror and see why people might think you're up to no good.
The funny thing is that blacks and Hispanics in new York dot even dress like that

Stop watching lil Jon videos you realize those are blacks from the south right?

What thugs in NYC wear gold teeth? Lmaoo

Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I actually drove a yellow cab while I was in school, and I can guarantee you that back in the '80s, when crime was much worse than it is now, my biggest problems were with YOUNG people, regardless of color. After twice being beat from fares, both from times from white teenagers, I never again picked up anybody who looked under 21. And the black men and couples I did pick up were so grateful I didn't pass them by I always got good tips for taking them uptown or out of the city.

And having driven, I too faithfully report any cab that passes me by. With 311 you can do it immediately too. I have NO sympathy whatsoever for any driver who decides black people's money isn't worth it. And I particularly resent that so many cabbies are now immigrants and have picked up on the worst stereotypes of black people. New York is a whole lot better than whatever country they came from, and I can't stomach that someone would come to make a living in this country and decide that disrespecting black people is part of the way to do that. So bottom line is when I'm passed up and can get a medallion number I report it to 311 ASAP.
This should end the thread. A actual cabbie telling the truth.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM

195 posts, read 304,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

^yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: