Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
how safe is pelham bay park during the day?
It's not that bad. Most common thing is robberies around the El. I wouldn't call the area "up and coming" though. If anything it has been seeing a slow decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 AM

335 posts, read 1,436,046 times
thanks hustla.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
No, it doesn't. It needs to a) build more housing and b) lower taxes to encourage job growth and contruction.

Also, what's wrong with moving out of the city. Thousands of people do that every year.
a) need more land to build more housing, which NYC no longer has!

b) That's been done, with these tax abatements on luxury condos! Good in the short term, but will create a seriously uneven and unfair property tax distribution in the long run!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 197,410 times
I haved life in the Bronx for 38 years now..I must say the Bronx has changed. However it's like everywhere else you have the good and the bad areas..A nice place to look at would be White Plains Road toward Clason Point..Very nice neighborhood..Tremont area I would stay away from....Then again you got Tremont going down by throgg neck and there are very nice area there..So do your homework before you make a decision..Rents are increasing by the numbers....Good luck..

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
As a native Bronx resident, I can say that up-and-coming does not really apply to the Bronx the way it has traditionally applied to neighborhoods. Since the Bronx was decimated for a host of reasons, up and coming neighborhoods in the Bronx means there are now supermarkets, laundromats, stable crime rates, rehabbed housing (although still low income), and other basic amenities that make the area liveable, although not nice, trendy, or pleasant by any stretch.

If you seek up and coming, the Bronx is at best just waking up from a 30 year coma...life is still much the same it was back then. It has certianly improved from the burnt out shells and rampant crime, however it still has a ways to go before it is liveable by any 1st world standard.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
how safe is pelham bay park during the day?

Very. I've been going there since 1973, and never had a problem...

Yuppies! Look out! gang members! unsafe! Stay away!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM

216 posts, read 993,015 times
did u hear about the gun battle that happened a few weeks ago at the park ? one ended up shot and in critical condition. dont know if he survived.

regardless, its an overall safe park. my ex was from crosby ave, and we frequented it often, during the day and night. occasionally things can happen though (its still the bronx lol).

Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
did u hear about the gun battle that happened a few weeks ago at the park ? one ended up shot and in critical condition. dont know if he survived.

regardless, its an overall safe park. my ex was from crosby ave, and we frequented it often, during the day and night. occasionally things can happen though (its still the bronx lol).
Where?
Hunter's Island? Down where the dump used to be, by the WWI monument?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM

216 posts, read 993,015 times
i dont know the details. there was a brief thing on it in the paper.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 PM

I once got a tour of Hunter's Island, by Dr. Ted Kasimiroff himself. If ever a man loved the Bronx, it was he.

There's a trail that goes around the margin, by the shore...it's the southernmost piece of rocky coastline on the Eastern Seaboard. There's a fresh water spring there, somewhere. And, in late September, there's a patch of New England Aster, most beautiful of autumn wildflowers.

I've gone hiking there even on crowded summer weekends and seen nary a soul. Hell, I could probably live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City