Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times

Advertisements

The streets were probably flooded and it was raining but still a rapid fire spread due to the strong wind gusts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Saw this picture earlier...I am just speechless &, being in NC, feel so helpless. I must say the FDNY has been working their butts off in Breezy for hours! I've been listening to their radio trans, it's all so surreal. My sil is going to try to get to their house tomorrow to assess the damage. I hope it's still there
I am glad that your in-laws are safe, and do hope that their house was not affected by the devastating fire situation in Breezy Point. It's just so tragic for all affected, especially given the magnitude of the fires.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I don't have a facebook so I can't see. But I was literally coming here to post this pic. Same one?

The ocean is to the right of the photo. My MIL's house is in the area in the upper left-hand corner.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Saw this picture earlier...I am just speechless &, being in NC, feel so helpless. I must say the FDNY has been working their butts off in Breezy for hours! I've been listening to their radio trans, it's all so surreal. My sil is going to try to get to their house tomorrow to assess the damage. I hope it's still there
That neighborhood is full of cops and fire fighters. They took a hard hit during 9-11.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I saw earlier on NBC that when the fires started there, the fire engines simply couldn't get to them at first because was simply too high/deep for the fire trucks to get close enough to put the fires.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
And when the firemen did get in there was no water and they were pumping salt water from the ocean through the trucks. The firefighters were standing in chest deep water trying to put out the fire.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Nice to see the American flags raised from the embers today.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM

17 posts, read 34,288 times
Why can't I find a listing of the streets/walks affected in Breezy Point fire?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM

292 posts, read 705,066 times
I read that the fires started because someone was using candles. I cannot even get into how outraged I am that anyone would light candles instead of using flashlights, when there were these kinds of warnings in place about the size and power of this storm. Even during a normal blackout with NO high winds, it is dangerous to use candles for longer than it takes to find a flashlight.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I read that the fires started because someone was using candles. I cannot even get into how outraged I am that anyone would light candles instead of using flashlights, when there were these kinds of warnings in place about the size and power of this storm. Even during a normal blackout with NO high winds, it is dangerous to use candles for longer than it takes to find a flashlight.
Battery operated LED candles are good for storms. They give off enough light so one isn't sitting in complete darkness and you don't have to worry about them setting anything on fire. I like them anyway for decor and Christmas decorations, but they also came in very handy during the power outage. I'd also suggest a medium to large size battery operated lantern. It illuminates a room pretty decently for tasks like heating up food, etc.

Have they established the cause yet? It could also have been gas lines ruptured during the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City