Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The NYC Marathon Be Held This Weekend
Yes 10 14.93%
No 56 83.58%
No opinion 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Generators power up New York City Marathon tent as rest of city struggles without electricity after Hurricane Sandy - NYPOST.com
Quote from link, "Other sources said NYPD and Department of Transportation personnel who had been providing relief on Staten Island were told to drop what they were doing and report to Brooklyn today to get ready for the marathon."

City/state officials can take the Marathon generators and water for public use to help the people if they wish. Removing police, EMTs, and other equipment from relief and recovery efforts for the purpose of a marathon is insane so soon after the storm. Then there's the problem of shutting down city streets for the purpose of people running which could impact not only traffic, but also the moving of people and supplies to help with their recovery. Great job Bloomy

The city should have postponed the marathon. The marathon officials should have canceled the marathon and offered up their generators, water, and marathon officials/runners volunteers to assist in distributing water and other supplies to those in need. It would be great publicity with the community and lead to an even bigger marathon the next year.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
The 2004 Tsunami killed more than 250,000. Fukashima was many times worse than Sandy, also. I'm very sorry for the victims and their families, but you all lived to tell about it. I hope it teaches everyone that they need to prepare for emergencies, themselves, and not rely on the government....the lines are usually way too long.
let's see how well we can prepare without NOAA and the other preparations done by the government for this storm. sheesh.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Generators power up New York City Marathon tent as rest of city struggles without electricity after Hurricane Sandy - NYPOST.com
Quote from link, "Other sources said NYPD and Department of Transportation personnel who had been providing relief on Staten Island were told to drop what they were doing and report to Brooklyn today to get ready for the marathon."

City/state officials can take the Marathon generators and water for public use to help the people if they wish. Removing police, EMTs, and other equipment from relief and recovery efforts for the purpose of a marathon is insane so soon after the storm. Then there's the problem of shutting down city streets for the purpose of people running which could impact not only traffic, but also the moving of people and supplies to help with their recovery. Great job Bloomy
Actually the City doesn't have the authority to simply seize those supplies. The Red Cross and National Guard are now operating in all affected areas (with a few exceptions where they simply can't get there--if they can't get there, they can't get there, nothing half a million bottles of water is going to do about it) and are giving out food and water. There's nothing they can realistically do with those generators.

Quote:
The city should have postponed the marathon. The marathon officials should have canceled the marathon and offered up their generators, water, and marathon officials/runners volunteers to assist in distributing water and other supplies to those in need. It would be great publicity with the community and lead to an even bigger marathon the next year.
NYRR could have suggested that their volunteers help, but they can't force them to do so. If they cancel the marathon, the majority of the runners who were planning on coming and could actually get to NYC will just stay home.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the City doesn't have the authority to simply seize those supplies. The Red Cross and National Guard are now operating in all affected areas (with a few exceptions where they simply can't get there--if they can't get there, they can't get there, nothing half a million bottles of water is going to do about it) and are giving out food and water. There's nothing they can realistically do with those generators.

NYRR could have suggested that their volunteers help, but they can't force them to do so. If they cancel the marathon, the majority of the runners who were planning on coming and could actually get to NYC will just stay home.
Actually, they can as long as they repay the owners of the property for their use according to the linked article.

"Since emergency executive orders have been issued, the governor, mayor — or even President Obama — could take the generators for a more important use, explained Pace University law professor Bennett Gershman.

Such an emergency action would need the approval of the City Council, state Legislature or Congress. And they would have to compensate the owners of the devices."

Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM

545 posts, read 908,766 times
I have no respect for anyone who runs the Marathon. It is WAY too soon and should have been postponed.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
I have no respect for anyone who runs the Marathon. It is WAY too soon and should have been postponed.
Some of the runners have spent many thousands of dollars to come from all over the world and are already in NYC. If they hold the marathon, I have no problem with any of them who choose to run.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM

545 posts, read 908,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Some of the runners have spent many thousands of dollars to come from all over the world and are already in NYC. If they hold the marathon, I have no problem with any of them who choose to run.
Good for you.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM

151 posts, read 183,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
They are running for charity so they have my respect

Healthy people who didn't prepare for the storm and are whining because they have no electricity or because they have to wait two hours in line for gas for the generator, I'm not sure about those.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
I voted NO for the NY marathon BUT in a city that has been broke for six years (long story involving many costs not withstanding entitlements) the marathon brings in desparately needed revenue and helps retail businesses with a blip in cha-ching. Additionally, while it is understood (not) what people in the periphery are suffering many of the runners have traveled at great expense from as far as Africa and California along with family members (yeah many bourgeois I suppose). I just thought in spite of our priorities (defined as removing bodies from every nook and cranny!!! and food for survivors!) I say cancel the sucker! Geez!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
Holding the marathon is incredibly disrespectful. There aren't enough police patrolling the downtown areas at night time, yet they are going to divert resources to host this thing? Speechless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City