Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Breezy Point will rise again to be a nice exclusive community that is free from the NY low lifes.
that sounds rednecky, as if no lowlives are living there already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
It looks like a downed power line started it? Or have there been updates?

CNN.com - Transcripts

Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Breezy Point and Roxbury (which no one mentions) are a private co-op.
I met a woman on the subway this weeek and her family has/had (she's not sure ) a home on Breezy Point for years, She told me that ALL the land is federally owned and the home "owners" must pay an annual rent on the land. So not quite as "private" as one might assume.
Usually when anything is built on federal beach property, if the home is destroyed it is NOT allowed to be rebuilt and the property must return to au natural.
That is the case if beachfront or bayfront homes on Fire Island are destroyed.

I don't know how The Hamptons works...it seems that they regularly demolish little "shacks" (read nice 3 bedroom homes) to build the Mansions worthy of the Maharajahs of Wall Street.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My personal opinion is this:

What happened in Breezy Point is sad, and is even sadder if it was purposeful. That being said, I would never lift a finger to help the residents there, nor should any self-respecting human being. That community has worked very hard at excluding a certain segment of the population (guess who!), and made no illusions of it either. Now that they require help however, they welcome everyone equally..funny how that works huh? I could never buy in such a community because I would never be allowed in, regardless of the vast amount of wealth I had (hypothetically) because I am the "wrong" color/ethnicity.

So while it is sad that this occured in that community, I would not lift a finger to help. I could spend 3 years assisting the community rebuild, and would be denied the ability to buy in it. Think about that. Same applies to the communities in the Bronx called Silver Beach and Edgewater Park...they make no illusion of who cannot purchase in the community and work hard to keep them out.

The destruction of Breezy Point, IMO, is no loss for NYC, although it is a loss for the small minded 1950s era Archie Bunkers who live there. Good riddance.

I thought as much when I heard several of the residents say some snarky, mean remarks about Obama coming to NYC and not visiting them. It was on NY1.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM

70 posts, read 138,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
My personal opinion is this:

What happened in Breezy Point is sad, and is even sadder if it was purposeful. That being said, I would never lift a finger to help the residents there, nor should any self-respecting human being. That community has worked very hard at excluding a certain segment of the population (guess who!), and made no illusions of it either. Now that they require help however, they welcome everyone equally..funny how that works huh? I could never buy in such a community because I would never be allowed in, regardless of the vast amount of wealth I had (hypothetically) because I am the "wrong" color/ethnicity.

So while it is sad that this occured in that community, I would not lift a finger to help. I could spend 3 years assisting the community rebuild, and would be denied the ability to buy in it. Think about that. Same applies to the communities in the Bronx called Silver Beach and Edgewater Park...they make no illusion of who cannot purchase in the community and work hard to keep them out.

The destruction of Breezy Point, IMO, is no loss for NYC, although it is a loss for the small minded 1950s era Archie Bunkers who live there. Good riddance.
Great post and I agree with you 1000% it's a shame what happened but I'm not losing sleep over the racists that live in this community.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
Well 30 something people from that community died on 9/11 and I don't think they gave a flying f**k about the skin tone of the people they were trying to save from the death at the hands of a***ole terrorists. So maybe some of the racists here need to take a look in the mirror. As for myself, i'm going to continue to care about people of different skintones, 'cause otherwise I'd be limited to vampires and Twilight notwithstanding, they're freakin' boring. Hell, I never made it past the first 10 minutes of the first Twilight movie before i fell asleep.

And I don't mind NYCHA folks getting a credit on their rent or food stamps folks getting some extra food stamps to replace the food they had to throw out. Even though I'm still paying my mortgage/co-op fees and had to re-stock my fridge on my own dime. I understand it's harder to do when you don't have that much in the way of resources. But I find the nasty reverse racism here quite sh**y and it has made me lose respect for several people who have posted in this thread. How dare those people in Breezy Point want to have a safe, friendly environment in the confines of NYC where they can leave their doors unlocked and s**t (sarcasm). Better they should live in fear with gates, huh? Especially considering some have given or put their lives on the line for their fellow NYers regardless of color. Yeah, keep telling yourselves they're the racists and don't look in the mirror.

Last edited by exscapegoat; 11-24-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Well 30 something people from that community died on 9/11 and I don't think they gave a flying f**k about the skin tone of the people they were trying to save from the death at the hands of a***ole terrorists. So maybe some of the racists here need to take a look in the mirror. As for myself, i'm going to continue to care about people of different skintones, 'cause otherwise I'd be limited to vampires and Twilight notwithstanding, they're freakin' boring. Hell, I never made it past the first 10 minutes of the first Twilight movie before i fell asleep.

And I don't mind NYCHA folks getting a credit on their rent or food stamps folks getting some extra food stamps to replace the food they had to throw out. Even though I'm still paying my mortgage/co-op fees and had to re-stock my fridge on my own dime. I understand it's harder to do when you don't have that much in the way of resources. But I find the nasty reverse racism here quite sh**y and it has made me lose respect for several people who have posted in this thread. How dare those people in Breezy Point want to have a safe, friendly environment in the confines of NYC where they can leave their doors unlocked and s**t (sarcasm). Better they should live in fear with gates, huh? Especially considering some have given or put their lives on the line for their fellow NYers regardless of color. Yeah, keep telling yourselves they're the racists and don't look in the mirror.
Agree - we know people from Breezy.
At most, they want to keep out undesirables of any color. I find myself with some sympathy there. This would always put them at odds with the PC folk.

How often I observe that people have no ability for critical and/or analytical thinking.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post

Huh? So because of 9/11, they're allowed to be racists? You make no sense. It's not reverse racism. You go around their way, and you get dissed because you're black/spanish. You're not welcome in their area, but the hurricane hits and we need help suddenly skin color become a non-factor, how fake is that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Huh? So because of 9/11, they're allowed to be racists? You make no sense. It's not reverse racism. You go around their way, and you get dissed because you're black/spanish. You're not welcome in their area, but the hurricane hits and we need help suddenly skin color become a non-factor, how fake is that.
Where is the demonstration that they are racist, and in particular, significantly more so than anywhere else ? One cannot identify a place as racist simply because few people of color live there. Or if we can do so, I have some nominations myself ! And far better ones than Breezy Point.

We visited now and then and found the people (other than those we knew) to be very suspicious of EVERYONE - as an earlier poster pointed out when s/he described an actual experience there.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Where is the demonstration that they are racist, and in particular, significantly more so than anywhere else ? One cannot identify a place as racist simply because few people of color live there. Or if we can do so, I have some nominations myself ! And far better ones than Breezy Point.

We visited now and then and found the people (other than those we knew) to be very suspicious of EVERYONE - as an earlier poster pointed out when s/he described an actual experience there.
What you think people are making this up??? Even Rockaway above 90th Street they're a little racist over there.....one time I was in a bar with my cousin down that way and some Irish guys come in talking about "look at these gangsters..." mind you me and my cousin are coming from the beach, so we weren't even dressed like thugs or anything, just t-shirts, shorts, our beach towels and sneakers....it's not because few people of color live there.....there's plenty of places in the city where few people of color live where I feel comfortable going to.....Breezy ain't one of them.....I wouldn't mind going to a bar down there, just like I would in any area of the city, but you're not welcome there so I have no reason to go.

Lol oh yeah I forgot another example: I called a Chinese spot on Beach 129th Street once and they were like "uhh...we don't deliver to your block...." Scared much?

Another example: I catch a cab on Beach 116th to go home.....this white guy gets in with me because he is going my way and the cab driver (white too) knows him personally. So the cab driver asks the guy, "what are you going so far downtown for?" like in a tone of voice like what are you going to that part of town for? because he's going close to my house.

Harlemresident, I don't know how familiar you are with the Rockaways, but I spent my whole life out here. I'm not gonna be tongue in cheek about it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City