Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times

Advertisements

What areas do you consider uptown?

Some people this means areas of Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood. Some say anything above 96th street. Some people even include The Bronx.

Just a simple question.......what is uptown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What areas do you consider uptown?

Some people this means areas of Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood. Some say anything above 96th street. Some people even include The Bronx.

Just a simple question.......what is uptown?
Above 135th street in Harlem. I guess it depends on who you talk to, but thats my unofficial border. I don't consider the BRONX uptown because I feel the idea of uptown is created from having a downtown. There is no part of the Bronx considered downtown.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Above 135th street in Harlem. I guess it depends on who you talk to, but thats my unofficial border. I don't consider the BRONX uptown because I feel the idea of uptown is created from having a downtown. There is no part of the Bronx considered downtown.
Well you can look at it this way. For people living in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and lower Manhattan, the Bronx is uptown for them. So some of them say im going uptown, in regards to going up or north to the Bronx.

Especially in relation to some Brooklyn hood's and Bronx hood's......you see alot of them say "Ya uptown n***s is p***y. I actually heard a few guys from Brooklyn say it.

I agree though that for people living in the Bronx, there's no uptown to them. Everything is usually to their south. But to people in the other boroughs the Bronx can be considered uptown. It is the most northern borough in NYC.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well you can look at it this way. For people living in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and lower Manhattan, the Bronx is uptown for them. So some of them say im going uptown, in regards to going up or north to the Bronx.

Especially in relation to some Brooklyn hood's and Bronx hood's......you see alot of them say "Ya uptown n***s is p***y. I actually heard a few guys from Brooklyn say it.

I agree though that for people living in the Bronx, there's no uptown to them. Everything is usually to their south. But to people in the other boroughs the Bronx can be considered uptown. It is the most northern borough in NYC.
I was speaking from a Harlem persons point of view. I actually agree with you and I think most people outiside of Manhatan consider the Bronx uptown.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:21 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
Strictly, "officially" speaking, the subway stations will say "uptown and the Bronx," no? So uptown would mean uptown Manhattan, and Bronx would mean Bronx.

"Streetwise," my admittedly limited impression is that some Harlemites and Bronxites might say "I'm going uptown" or "I live uptown" when referring to the Bronx.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
When we say uptown we are usually talking about Harlem and Washington Heights, and we are generalizing more, not getting into a specific area. We are refering to the areas above 110th. We know that Harlem starts at 110th, no matter what others say.

We usually refer to Inwood by name or we may include it in a sentence like "further uptown in Inwood" that sort of thing.

The Bronx is not referred to as uptown. The Bronx is just that.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
The Bronx is just that....thing across the Harlem River? LOL....

That's fine....from the Bronx, say the Bronx. Sounds logical.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Yeah when I was a kid we said with pride its the only boro that starts with THE

Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
Harlem and the South Bronx is considered Uptown.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM

34,068 posts, read 47,260,557 times
harlem & bronx = uptown
but i think more queens and bklyn people make this reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City