Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Best job???
Yeah, it was a fun job! I loved my coworkers. Over a period of 3 years, I received well over 400k in severence payments.

Quote:
Unemployment benefit greater than your salary???
My last two months, I only worked very casually, just once a week.

Quote:
The max unemployment is what, $500 weekly!!
Maybe in NY. I don't live in NY. I think it's 575 here. $2,320/month for doing nothing was fine with me.

Quote:
You need to find a better job.....
Do you get paid $500/day to have fun?!?! That's what I was doing. Working for fun. I haven't needed to work for over 25 years.

Quote:
Also, seems as if this best job found it cheaper to dump the cost of benefits and payroll taxes for your position, than the cost of the meager "serverance".
My status was changed 4 times in 3 years (the 5th time being the lay off). Most of the changes in my status were increases to keep me. I actually got severence when going from part-time to full time, or increasing my full time hours, etc. When the recession hit, they laid everyone else off over a period of many months first. I was the last to go. So, no, they were doing everything they could to keep me for a very long time. Eventually, the recession hit the company too hard. They did call me back when business improved 6 months later, but I declined because I was busy pursuing other interests.

Quote:
So, you really weren't getting the better of it, you only *thought* you were.....
The company was very poorly managed. Trust me, I was getting the better of it. I thought it was funny as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I sometimes received 2 severences within a year. Over the 3 years I worked for them, I received a total of 5 severences.
Now THAT'S a job I would consider coming out of retirement for.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:15 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I'm really starting to hate corporations, you give them blood and they just boot you out at will- maybe should be like kids of today.. have NO work ethics at all and no allegiance or loyalty- and I seem them come n go be late no shows and guess what- they still working!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM

106,690 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i happened to have my son here earlier who is a ny labor law attorney so i showed him the question..

the answer is it is going to depend on the wording in your contract and what defines termination.

he said you could make an argument of constructive termination.

that means that the terms of your employment and contract were so drastically changed that effectively you were terminated from what you were doing or were forced to leave by the new construction of duties...

depending on the contract wording you may also have breech of contract .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-31-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
What amazed me is that there is no salary mentioned. I have never seen an employment contract without the precise wording, something to the effect of "and will be paid $2,000 per week."
I mean, a contract is always a quid pro quo and there's no QUO mentioned in the thread.

As soon as that amount is abrogated the contract is breeched. And of course, who would not want to work part time as a junior accountant as long as he is receiving a comptroller's salary?

Oh well,
Since OP's problem was a year ago and he's only made two posts, I guess we will never know what happened. Par for the course, I guess.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkemployment123 View Post
Thanks for your reply. In my current employment contract, it states" should your position be terminated, you will be entitled at least 6 month of salary and benefit". My current position is a controller and they plan to change my position to a part time accountant position since our company has a change of the management.
It seems to me that "your position is terminated" unless there is a definition section in the contract defining termination precisely.

Change of management maybe but thank Obamacare for this change. That's just a smokescreen.

Maybe the NYS Dept of Labor has a Help LIne, FAQ or some other resource that would help you. If you talk to a human it is possible that they will tell you to talk to an attorney as they are not authorized to dispense legal advice.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:09 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Not sure in your situation. However, I've seen colleagues get Layoff with a severence and then they were given contract positions for x amount of time to continue there work. If I were you, i would try to get this arrangement since its more clear cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City