Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will be the next mayor of NYC?
Bill de Blasio 3 8.57%
Raymond Kelly 9 25.71%
John Liu 6 17.14%
Chistine Quinn 12 34.29%
Scott Stringer 0 0%
Marty Markowitz 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
NYC has long been known as the gateway to America. Immigrants bring new ideas, culture, customs, and business to the city among other things. Both negatives and positives I personally feel our diversity makes NYC great.

NYC's diversity is something to really be proud of. Dominicans, Russians, Polish, Jamaicans, Colombians, Ukrainians, Greeks, Italians, Mexicans, Germans regardless of where they are from they bring something to this great city. Immigrants built this city.

How I admire inspiring stories of life in another place I can share with new arrivals. How good is the food. Creative the arts. How beautiful the women (or men if that's your thing).

A mayor in NYC must be pro-immigrant. We are a haven for this cultural exchange. It wouldn't be NYC without immigration. NYC has a sample of the entire world within it's boundaries.
You're thinking of past. This city doesn' t necessarily need immigrants like it did 100 years ago. Todays 'transplants' are the new immigrants to some extent and have replaced them with a new skillet and contribution. BTW I'm personally fine with legal, hard working, law abiding, upwardly mobile immigrants. But what this city does not need to do is to remain a hub for exploitive immigrants who's goal is to suckle this city for all it's worth. A clear distinction should be made in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.

IMO should Quinn or deblasio become mayor, this city will run major deficits with nothing to show for it and quality of life will reverse to the 80s. We need a strong republican such as Kelly with the political and social acumen who can maintain the sanity and who can effectively navigate the beuracracy both in city council and Washington.

Quinn and especially deblasio will flip this city completely upside down.
Strongly disagree. Ray Kelly doesn't have much of a chance largely due to two reasons: One being the Republican platform; the other his controversial track record (A lot of people are not fans)?

Quote:
You're thinking of past. This city doesn' t necessarily need immigrants like it did 100 years ago. Todays 'transplants' are the new immigrants to some extent and have replaced them with a new skillet and contribution. BTW I'm personally fine with legal, hard working, law abiding, upwardly mobile immigrants. But what this city does not need to do is to remain a hub for exploitive immigrants who's goal is to suckle this city for all it's worth. A clear distinction should be made in this regard.
NYC would be a much different place without immigrants. That's one of the biggest draws to the city. Not to mention Americans relocating while also positive in most cases does not bring in un-American ways of thought. Immigrants are not sucking NYC dry, NYC is very prosperous as a whole and doing just fine despite some issues. There are a wide spectrum of the types of people that relocate to NYC, from the unskilled to the highly educated. Immigration is great for NYC.

Just think about what makes us unique over the rest of the United States.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Strongly disagree. Ray Kelly doesn't have much of a chance largely due to two reasons: One being the Republican platform; the other his controversial track record (A lot of people are not fans)?

NYC would be a much different place without immigrants. That's one of the biggest draws to the city. Not to mention Americans relocating while also positive in most cases does not bring in un-American ways of thought. Immigrants are not sucking NYC dry, NYC is very prosperous as a whole and doing just fine despite some issues. There are a wide spectrum of the types of people that relocate to NYC, from the unskilled to the highly educated. Immigration is great for NYC.

Just think about what makes us unique over the rest of the United States.

Statistically Kelly is the city's favored amongst all viable candidates, with Quinn in second. The only reason he couldn't be mayor, would simply be due to the fact that he would not want to be. My understanding is that he doesn't have the interest at this time.

Quote:
And the latest one brings some good news for Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who isn't even running for mayor (yet). If he were, however, according to Quinnipiac University he would be the candidate to beat, with 23 percent of New Yorkers (and 17 percent of Democrats) saying they'd like to see him in Gracie Mansion. That puts him five points ahead of his nearest competitor, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who polled with 18 percent (including 20 percent of Democrats). It appears that the poll did not ask about any of the Baldwin brothers http://gothamist.com/2011/07/27/nypd...he_peoples.php
BTW, I didn't say anything about all immigrants suckling the city, just that some of them see this as a haven to exploit the safety net system. You can't catagorize them all as being reminiscent of those who came here 100 years ago. It was a different city and a different time then. The city doesn't 'need' them, but it should welcome those who are interested in building and working along with everyone else.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Statistically Kelly is the city's favored amongst all viable candidates, with Quinn in second. The only reason he couldn't be mayor, would simply be due to the fact that he would not want to be. My understanding is that he doesn't have the interest at this time.

BTW, I didn't say anything about all immigrants suckling the city, just that some of them see this as a haven to exploit the safety net system. You can't catagorize them all as being reminiscent of those who came here 100 years ago. It was a different city and a different time then. The city doesn't 'need' them, but it should welcome those who are interested in building and working along with everyone else.
So do you really think Ray Kelly would pull ahead in our neighborhoods with high poverty rates or ultra liberal neighborhoods across the city? Even when stop and frisk is being challenged.

I still disagree, the city does need immigration today. You do see the correlation between desirability and diversity among young highly educated professionals? How about internationals relocating and adding to the fields of Arts, Architecture, Engineering, even small business?

In the past, some immigrants took advantage of those safety nets, however there was much less available going back a generation or two. Today, I am confident it is the American born most likely taking advantage.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 12-16-2012 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
So do you really think Ray Kelly would pull ahead in our neighborhoods with high poverty rates or ultra liberal neighborhoods across the city? Even when stop and frisk is being challenged.

I still disagree, the city does need immigration today. You do see the correlation between desirability and diversity among young highly educated professionals? How about internationals relocating and adding to the fields of Arts, Architecture, Engineering, even small business?

In the some immigrants took advantage of those safety nets, however there was much less available going back a generation or two. Today, I am confident it is the American born most likely taking advantage.
It's fine to disagree, I'm just pointing out the data. Keep in mind that voter turnout is terribly low in NYC, especially in the last election and especially in the worst neighborhoods.

Essentially you have roughly over 10% of the city punching a ticket and deciding who is going to lead the other 7 million or so. So with that being said, it is very possible that a republican canndidate could win the race, just as Gulliani and Bloomberg have done.

I still disagree on the immigration issue as well. NYC is nolonger a manufacturing city in need of low skilled laborers in textiles, and brick layers. There's nothing wrong with either of those professions--but the city doesn't 'need' them like it did in the past. NYC as a 5-borough city consolidated itself around 1898 or so, and the city without a doubt absolutely had a role for large swaths of low skilled immigrants. Today though? Not really.

As far as the city's need for professionals in STEM fields, small businesses, arts etc etc...I don't know the data, but my contention would be that transplants are the new 'immigrants' fulfilling those roles. Every newly minted college degreed kid from LA, to Alabama has stars in their eyes hoping that they can make something of themselves and swing right in here hoping to snatch up one of those jobs or to become entreprenurial on their own.

We don't necessarily need international diversity immigrating to the city--because we have it right here in the rest of the US.

Sorry to say, but the city doesn't 'need' the influx that it once needed from Italy, Russia, Poland, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc etc that it once did. Should we welcome those whose intent is to come here legally, work hard, abide the law and create a pathway for upward mobility for themselves and their families? Absolutely. I'd welcome them. But, for those who come here dinstinctly because we are lax on immigration laws hoping to exploit the city's safety net for all it's worth, need not come here IMO.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
It's fine to disagree, I'm just pointing out the data. Keep in mind that voter turnout is terribly low in NYC, especially in the last election and especially in the worst neighborhoods.

Essentially you have roughly over 10% of the city punching a ticket and deciding who is going to lead the other 7 million or so. So with that being said, it is very possible that a republican canndidate could win the race, just as Gulliani and Bloomberg have done.
Good point.

Quote:
I still disagree on the immigration issue as well. NYC is nolonger a manufacturing city in need of low skilled laborers in textiles, and brick layers. There's nothing wrong with either of those professions--but the city doesn't 'need' them like it did in the past. NYC as a 5-borough city consolidated itself around 1898 or so, and the city without a doubt absolutely had a role for large swaths of low skilled immigrants. Today though? Not really.

As far as the city's need for professionals in STEM fields, small businesses, arts etc etc...I don't know the data, but my contention would be that transplants are the new 'immigrants' fulfilling those roles. Every newly minted college degreed kid from LA, to Alabama has stars in their eyes hoping that they can make something of themselves and swing right in here hoping to snatch up one of those jobs or to become entreprenurial on their own.

We don't necessarily need international diversity immigrating to the city--because we have it right here in the rest of the US.

Sorry to say, but the city doesn't 'need' the influx that it once needed from Italy, Russia, Poland, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc etc that it once did. Should we welcome those whose intent is to come here legally, work hard, abide the law and create a pathway for upward mobility for themselves and their families? Absolutely. I'd welcome them. But, for those who come here dinstinctly because we are lax on immigration laws hoping to exploit the city's safety net for all it's worth, need not come here IMO.
There is a shortage of STEM field workers in the USA. How about service positions? Also again the Arts? Small business (in terms of new ideas)? Architecture?

How about the atmosphere of NYC in general? A place where people from all over coexist. That alone is a major selling point. We would loose so much international appeal by loosing our cultural diversity. How could we be considered a world class city without them.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Good point.

There is a shortage of STEM field workers in the USA. How about service positions? Also again the Arts? Small business (in terms of new ideas)? Architecture?

How about the atmosphere of NYC in general? A place where people from all over coexist. That alone is a major selling point. We would loose so much international appeal by loosing our cultural diversity. How could we be considered a world class city without them.
True, there is a shortage nation wide but they are in specific fields. Either way, I don't think we need as many Electrical Engineers today as we did brick layers back in 1900. My understanding is that those fields are filled or are easily filled by the lure of the QOL and desire for some to live in NY.

As far as service positions go--you got me there. There is without a doubt a need for those roles to be continuously filled due to high turnover rates, however I was never against immigrants filling them. I'd just prefer them to do it legally and on the books.

That being said, I'm all for cultural diversity and the pools of talent that we inherit with it. My argument isn't anti-immigration BTW...it's anti-illegal, exploitive immigration. If anyone wants to come here and become an architect, an artist, open a small business or whatever, more power to you. I'd welcome them all from Australia to the magnetic North Pole.

But for those whose first stop is the city shelter--need not apply IMO.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I don't like any of these candidates. I could see how Quinn is attractive to a lot of nyc dems but I don't like at all how she pimped herself out to Bloomberg. I will be looking deeply into third party/alternative candiates for this election. BTW OP you notably left off Thompson who only lost by a relatively small margin last time.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

588 posts, read 947,714 times
Quote:
exactly

Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

IMO should Quinn or deblasio become mayor, this city will run major deficits with nothing to show for it and quality of life will reverse to the 80s. We need a strong republican such as Kelly with the political and social acumen who can maintain the sanity and who can effectively navigate the beuracracy both in city council and Washington.

Quinn and especially deblasio will flip this city completely upside down.
Thank you. It's true. We all know what will happen if Quinn and DeBlasio get elected as mayor...they will cater to the labor unions, teacher's union, undo the aggressive yet positive school reform Bloomberg is doing, continue not to support the stop and frisk which keeps people in high crime areas such as the "hood" on their toes knowing that the cops could stop and search them, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City