Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

None of the people in the "soup line" kitchen appear to be starving, in fact, most of them have nicer clothes and shoes than I do.

I am glad to see that Georgia is taking the hard-line and hope that other states will do the same. I'm tired of people living off of my dime. I wish that Missouri would follow suit. I know MANY people who are taking advantage of the system, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you don't have anything else to offer them, like a job for example,
so what else do you expect them to do but stay home? go out and get
into trouble?

it saves society money the way it is. you don't have to be all up people's
butts about it if you don't have a civilized, better alternative.
No body ever knocked on my door and offered me anything. All the jobs I got, or even my education, was something I had to apply to and work for.

Are you trying to say poor people have no responsibility for their lives? Shouldn't people in the projects try to do better?

And don't get me wrong, there are people from the projects who do work, and send their kids to college (or just work and move up). The issue is NY tried to take care of too many poor people from other places, when if they needed taken care of it should have been back home.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, a working people have to be responsible in order to keep their jobs and income. Poor people maybe getting crumbs, but I can see why people aren't too eager to want to pay for people to sit at home all day and drink and do drugs.

This is not true of everyone who receives help, there are people legitimately disabled, or in between jobs or whatever.

But at the same time, there's an underclass who if you give them government benefits, all you are doing is paying for and enabling their bad behavior. That negatively effects everyone in the area.

Why should NY pay for poor people to come here from everywhere to just be housed where they can do drugs and otherwise live off working people here?
Do you know any poor people personally?

Because your posts sounds very "naive".

Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
None of the people in the "soup line" kitchen appear to be starving, in fact, most of them have nicer clothes and shoes than I do.
Most people on the soup kitchen lines are working poor or middle class folks who get a pittance in foodstamps or none at all. When's the last time you've been to a "soup kitchen" to notice this or were you watching the news?

Quote:
I am glad to see that Georgia is taking the hard-line and hope that other states will do the same. I'm tired of people living off of my dime. I wish that Missouri would follow suit. I know MANY people who are taking advantage of the system, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Amazing.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
No body ever knocked on my door and offered me anything. All the jobs I got, or even my education, was something I had to apply to and work for.

Are you trying to say poor people have no responsibility for their lives? Shouldn't people in the projects try to do better?

Do you know people that live in the projects or just what you read on the internet?

If you did, then you would realize that many do work, in addition to many being unemployed.

You haven't a clue of how the other half lives, because you FEAR THEM. Until you tell me you've actually been INSIDE of a housing project and VISITED an apartment there, then you need to stop commenting on things you don't know about.

Go back to Wisconsin or wherever you came from.

Quote:
And don't get me wrong, there are people from the projects who do work, and send their kids to college (or just work and move up). The issue is NY tried to take care of too many poor people from other places, when if they needed taken care of it should have been back home.
The majority of the poor living in NYC's projects are FROM NYC.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM

180 posts, read 335,406 times

Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you know people that live in the projects or just what you read on the internet?

If you did, then you would realize that many do work, in addition to many being unemployed.

You haven't a clue of how the other half lives, because you FEAR THEM. Until you tell me you've actually been INSIDE of a housing project and VISITED an apartment there, then you need to stop commenting on things you don't know about.

Go back to Wisconsin or wherever you came from.

The majority of the poor living in NYC's projects are FROM NYC.
The majority of blacks and hispanics in NYC's housing projects moved here after WW2. Of course, the younger generations were born here.

Still doesn't change the fact that obviously they were living somewhere else in the 20th century, before you had massive housing projects constructions in the 60s and 70s.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I was perusing through and came across this article that maybe of interest to all of you? Do you think this will ever happen in NYC?

Georgia’s war against the poor: The southern state is emptying its welfare rolls at the same time that poverty is soaring. - Slate Magazine
This will be happening everywhere, including New York - people having far less money being a main impetus, and there are other factors that are ideological in origin and interest.

It isn't a huge change exactly, but more of a shift within the system that we have. Conservatives will call this an "adjustment," I think.

In the past, the benefit of the doubt went to the poor, with the goal of taking care of many people lest some actually needy people be treated unjustly if excluded. In this scheme of things, what people would term "scammers" often got away with a lot.

In the new scheme of things, in my opinion and as these case-study scenarios demonstrate, priorities will change. Obtaining assistance will be more difficult in order to prevent the "scammers" from collecting, with the result that some needy people will be (perhaps inadvertently; certainly unjustly) cut out.

Things work this way because of the "majority" thing. Someone is always cut out. Consider the death penalty. The idea is, either the death penalty is in place, meaning that some innocent people will be victimized but many criminals will be eliminated; or, it is not in place, avoiding the unjust execution of a few but also allowing many who should be executed to go free.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you know any poor people personally?

Because your posts sounds very "naive".
I do know poor people personally. Indeed, I know those who are stuck in Far Rockaway after hurricane sandy. A consequence of being poor and totally dependent upon the government is when a disaster strikes, you are totally at the mercy of Bloomberg.

Does someone who's main life experience is the welfare/social services system even have the skills to find an apartment?

All these government programs due is create dependency.

For the record, I'm black, and my grandparents purchased a house in the 30s and raised their children. In those days, there was no "welfare". Either you got it together and did it or you went all the way under.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
The majority of blacks and hispanics in NYC's housing projects moved here after WW2. Of course, the younger generations were born here.

Still doesn't change the fact that obviously they were living somewhere else in the 20th century, before you had massive housing projects constructions in the 60s and 70s.
You will learn which things to ignore here, and why ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City