Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You didn't read the story, because if you had you'd see that he only made Illinois state minimum wage of $8.75 an hour. Dude never touched $10 an hour.

How can he save money paying $320 a month for shelter and his hours aren't guaranteed?
A MCD shift typicaly lasts 37 - 40 hours a week so he should have grossed around $15.5K/year at his rate. Net of income tax and shelter he should still have $6K/year. I agree it's hand to mouth but it's still enough to save for a ticket to move elsewhere with lodging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
One thing that I've learned in history: When a policy, or the enforcement of it, becomes either extreme or inflexible, and/or creates unintended/perverse consequences, public dissatisfaction will grow, even among initial supporters of the policy!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
smh alright bro. there is always a possibility, so he might have some extra
money to take that chance, even tho most people wouldn't even risk it.
they'd just stay and look for another opportunity right where they are.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
A MCD shift typicaly lasts 37 - 40 hours a week so he should have grossed around $15.5K/year at his rate. Net of income tax and shelter he should still have $6K/year. I agree it's hand to mouth but it's still enough to save for a ticket to move elsewhere with lodging.
The reason why his money never rised or kept going down is because the new franchise owners or the store he would transfer to would drop his pay back to the bare minimum.

I never heard of such a thing before this article. I had no idea your pay could be demoted for these reasons.

I agree that he needs to do SOMETHING. Maybe he could go stay with his mom and sis on the couch or go live in a homeless shelter until he can save up to get out of there.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM

106,714 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Come on Mathjak! The 70s???!! You're comparing the easy, go lucky 1970s to 2012??

Many adults won't qualify for a loan if their credit is messed up.

Please step out of the "bubble" and read REAL LIFE.
really, i don't know how old you are but it was just as hard back then with 18% prime rates.3/4's of us going to vietnam, and no gas.

the equities markets were dead for 20 years and companies were going no where.

your living in your own world if you think that was happy go lucky times..

Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Read about these cutbacks Bloomberg has been instituting to the one remaining city welfare program that pays for private apartments, HASA.

Bloomberg Plans More Budget Cuts and Changes to HASA Eligibility — AIDS Issues Update — Housing Works

and

HIV-Positive New Yorkers Protest Budget Cuts, Drug Screening Policy - New York - News - Runnin' Scared

Don't worry, other social programs have recently been cut.

By the way, when advocates for the poor said the city was obligated to pay for housing for the homeless, the Judge disagreed. She ruled in favor of the city, and the city eliminated the City Advantage Program that was putting homeless people in apartments.

City Doesn't Have To Subsidize Rent For Homeless, Judge Rules: Gothamist

I would think all this would make you happy, Hilltopjay.
It really does NYWriter. However, I will really be jumping for joy when the City really cuts back on NYCHA and HPD Section 8. The bulk of the destitutes and undesirable are in those Section 8 programs.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, let's be HONEST here.

I know EXACTLY the people you're talking about (including the trailer trash), but would you REALLY want those people working with you?

There is a reason why corporate america won't hire them (except maybe Walmart or Target), they don't listen, they take every type of "constructive criticism" you say as an "affront" rather than changing for the better. They're not the type that know how to 'reason' or be 'humble'.

Not all poor people are like this though. Many do work and are trapped in a never ending cycle of poverty that will never leave them. Former drug addicts with felonies who are forced to do menial labor for the rest of their lives due to past mistakes that will never let them down.

Also, let's not forget the "new" poor with bad credit that can't get a job because of it. These are usually the people who've done everything right - went to school, got good grades, graduated college or a trade school, worked good paying jobs, then had the rug pulled under them during this horrible recession. Many of them have to LIE and say they only finished high school in order to work at McDonalds as a cook or cashier.

Here's a horrible story of someone whose worked for 20 years at McDonalds and because of how they've treated him, he's only making minimum wage and lives in a nasty SRO paying $320 a month. From all accounts, he's a super hard worker, but is treated like garbage:

McDonald

This is sad. He seems to be a good dude that is treated poorly for no reason. He works at two different McDonalds just to get 20 hours a week. Also, the reason why he only makes minimum wage is because every time they transfer him to a new McDonalds or a new franchise takes over they reduce his payscale down to the state minimum. Of course, McDonalds headquarters say they have "no control" over such things. Yeah, right.

This is why I hate corporations and their bullcrap.

Glad you FINALLY understand where I'm coming from. That being said, every person has the FREE WILL to do as they please. So do drugs while the others pick up a book. Hence why you have the underclass created by their past mistakes and you have the successful types created by their wise choices growing up.

At the end of the day, people are where they are mainly due to their own fault. That's why I advocate for self accountability. Some people have that fire and that drive not to be a loser and some don't.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
really, i don't know how old you are but it was just as hard back then with 18% prime rates.3/4's of us going to vietnam, and no gas.

the equities markets were dead for 20 years and companies were going no where.

your living in your own world if you think that was happy go lucky times..
Okay, I'll let you get this as I never actually had to live through this or experience this life.

Having great credit wasn't a number a huge priority to get work or apartments like they are today. The 70s was a cash-based society.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well, Mr. Bloomberg, unfortunately, many of us can't sit at home counting billions and making even MORE billions while the state (and the INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY) experiences what is called the SECOND great depression of our time.

Inquiring minds really would like to know how you increased your wealth from $16 billion in 2009 (when the recession finally hit the country) to $22 billion THREE YEARS LATER?!!
Marilyn, you need to educate yourself. Look at the Forbes list of top 20 wealthiest people in the world...what do they ALL have in common? They are ALL business OWNERS, not employees like yourself. No one will ever become rich being and employee and getting a W2. You have to play by the rules of the rich to be rich and NO, you are NOT excluded. Anyone can join, you just have to know how the system works and then make it work for you.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, the city or homeowner is keeping the place up NOW, but as soon as they get enough of the riff raff up in those neighborhoods, everything will go to **** in a handbasket. Toilets will STAY stuffed up, roofs will leak forever, roaches, rats everywhere, just like back in turn of the century america.

But for "some" people on this board, that will be just "fine".
But who's fault is that if you're given a house in good working order and because of the lack of caring on the tenant's part, the house falls apart? The blame is solely on the person living in the house. So it goes back to what I was saying earlier about self accountability. Take blame for the sh1t you created instead of blame someone else. It's not simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City