Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

I'm getting impatient lately with all the tips on holiday tipping. Even the TV news programs are doing segments on how much to tip - with one outrageous person saying you should tip doormen a minimum of $100-$200.

Here are some idle questions from the opposite perspective. Do you think doormen/supers keep track from year to year what people give them? Do you think if someone tips less than others, or tips less than the previous year, they take a moment to ponder whether the lower amount might be due to their own failings? Do you think that staff ever stops to ponder that their income may be on a par with the resident's? Do you think doormen ever realize that most of them have cushy, moderately well-paid jobs and rarely do anything exceptional that merits tips?

I was particularly thinking about this since there is someone so useless in my building that this year I decided not to tip him at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
I think the point of saying 100-200 is to get you to think 25-75 is now a small amount. Human's are very impressionable beings...

Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Holidays are over, maybe everyone will stop sticking their hand out... naa, never happen.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
To be honest I don't think anybody tips the porters in my building, or the super...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
I wonder what the average salary for an NYC doorman is like. I'm sure it's not like a waitress job that's beneath minimum wage and therefore relies on tips. The only thing the doormen in my building do is open the doors. They don't handle packages, deliveries, they don't hail cabs, nothing else. And sometimes they don't even open the door because they're too busy chatting across the foyer with the concierge. I didn't bother with a tip this year.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm getting impatient lately with all the tips on holiday tipping. Even the TV news programs are doing segments on how much to tip - with one outrageous person saying you should tip doormen a minimum of $100-$200.

Here are some idle questions from the opposite perspective. Do you think doormen/supers keep track from year to year what people give them?
Yes. Everybody in the service industry does this.

Quote:
Do you think if someone tips less than others, or tips less than the previous year, they take a moment to ponder whether the lower amount might be due to their own failings?
Nope.

Quote:
Do you think that staff ever stops to ponder that their income may be on a par with the resident's?
What??? Are you serious?? Most doormen work at LUXURY BUILDINGS with people making some of the highest incomes in the city. Again, are you SERIOUS???

Quote:
Do you think doormen ever realize that most of them have cushy, moderately well-paid jobs and rarely do anything exceptional that merits tips?
You sound like a cheapskate.

Go ahead and give your doorman $5 and see how he treats you from then on out. You'll deserve it.

Quote:
I was particularly thinking about this since there is someone so useless in my building that this year I decided not to tip him at all.
Have you ever asked him to help you with anything?

Has he ever been rude to you?

Have you ever considered that there might be things going on HIS personal life that may or may not be affecting his supposed to be "happy" attitude?

Why would you NOT give him anything at all?

I can see doing this to a NYC super (many of them are useless), but most doormen tend to go out of their way with not only customer service, but as snitches to the landlords.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Here are some idle questions from the opposite perspective. Do you think doormen/supers keep track from year to year what people give them? Do you think if someone tips less than others, or tips less than the previous year, they take a moment to ponder whether the lower amount might be due to their own failings? Do you think that staff ever stops to ponder that their income may be on a par with the resident's? Do you think doormen ever realize that most of them have cushy, moderately well-paid jobs and rarely do anything exceptional that merits tips?

My brother in law says that their doormen keep track of who gives and who doesn't. I think he tips them $100. I think that they have a hard job (any customer service job requires that you put up with a fair number of jerks). So that seems a minimal amount.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I wonder what the average salary for an NYC doorman is like. I'm sure it's not like a waitress job that's beneath minimum wage and therefore relies on tips. The only thing the doormen in my building do is open the doors. They don't handle packages, deliveries, they don't hail cabs, nothing else. And sometimes they don't even open the door because they're too busy chatting across the foyer with the concierge. I didn't bother with a tip this year.
Nothing at all? Not even $25? $5? A scratch off lottery ticket??

Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Nothing at all? Not even $25? $5? A scratch off lottery ticket??
Where exactly do you live? You're always posting here, so I didn't realize you weren't living in NYC until it was mentioned in the other thread.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think that if you give the people that work in your building some kind of tip even a small one, they have better attitude toward you during the year when you need them to do some work in your apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City