Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 AM

5 posts, read 16,978 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are studying the possibility to go to live to NYC, I'm excited with the idea (I love this city... but as a tourist) !!!
We are a family with 3 boys (8 years old and twins with 5), the company in US offers to us 200.000 USD/year and includes a rental appartment in Upper east Side (paying ONLY 4.500 USD/month) and 50% of health insurance.
For us, in Spain, will be ok but don't know in Manhattan. Could you help me? Is OK?
I've visited the Website of the public schools,but my children are now in a catholic school (jesuits) and don't know nothing about your school system. It will be best to live in Queens, Brooklyn, etc, and enter every day in Manhattan?
We are worried because the children don't speak any word in English, they understand something, but not for to going to the school. Are the schools responsible of the English as a second language? One of my sons have a dyslexia very soft, but need some help. Is possible to have support in the school?
I have a lot of questions, and I wish to come, but... there are a lot of information that we need before..
Thanks for your help!!!!
And if you need some info from Spain or Europe in general....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
With the schools, unless you have a good public school nearby (which should have a bilingual program with Spanish - although not Castilian Spanish) private school is going to be quite expensive - about $20,000 - $30,000/year. There will also be a problem because the tests for private schools (the ERB tests) aren't provided in Spanish. This is a surmountable issue, however - kids learn other languages very quickly. When we lived in Switzerland when I was 11, I essentially learned Swiss-German in three months...

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
I'm sorry to see that you haven't had many answers here, because your post is very interesting. Since you already have a company offering you a job, that seems like a wonderful opportunity. I don't have any information to offer you, but here are some things to think about.

1. I can't tell from your post if the company is offering you a $4,500 apartment for free (which would be wonderful) or if you have to pay that amount (which would seem rather expensive).

2. Viralmd is right that the children will learn English very quickly at that age - and might even have a chance to become bi-lingual.

3. It would be good if you could find some information that would be specific to Spanish visitors. You might try to contact Spanish-language places such as the Cervantes Institute or the Spanish consulate, and maybe they can suggest places to go for advice.

Learn Spanish in New York City Institute Cervantes. Spanish Language Immersion Courses.Immersion Culture Spanish in NY.Expedition Certificate Dele > New York

http://www.maec.es/consulados/nuevayork/es/home

Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
If you will be looking into the Upper East Side, check out this schol: Saint Ignatius Loyola School - New York City It is run by the Jesuits and is located in the Upper East Side. Perhaps you could get your kids transferred in there?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Loyola is for boys only...so that won't be a problem....

Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
The elementary school is single sex? I didn't know many places still do that

EDIT: I just checked the Archdiocese's webpage and it says it is co-ed. I'd be surprised if you could find any parochial elementary schools out there that are same sex. High School is a different issue, but elementary schools are almost always co-ed.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM

8 posts, read 27,549 times
Will you be visiting in advance in order to look at potential places to live, and learn about the area? If so, there are people whose profession is to help you with this, and since families move here every day from all over the world, they are very good at what they do. If you'd like to e-mail me off-list, I can give you more details.

avantrc @ nyc.rr.com

Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 AM

thanks for all, folks !!!!
Finally, we've visited NYC last week and gone to two public schools in the area, and one is really good and the another one so bad...
My husband and I are very excited with the idea. Every corner in the city is saying: "Every think that you want, is possible here..." I really love your city.
In this last visit, I saw the city with resident eyes, and it is better than before.
CIDA: the apt price for us is 4500 USD/month !!!! Really expensive.... OK, for Spain is simply crazy...
Do you recommend to live outside Manhattan?
Thanks another time for your comments, your time, for the foreigners is important to have your support. thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Some questions:
where exactly is the office located? Or at least near which cross street - for example, 42nd St. and Madison Ave.
This info is important for people who might want to suggest to you some neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens, as the exact location of the office will help determine the best area to commute from.

second question - the apt they are giving you - how large is it? Is it a 3 bedroom? If you don't take that one, are you going to try to match the size of that apt. in a different neighborhood?

And I'm sorry but I personally don't know anything about the school systems so someone else will have to help you there.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Thanks, Henna.
The office adress is near the Cornell University, Hospitals,... (I think that is in 70th St withYork Ave?). We are open to different neighborhoods, but the information of the public school system that I have, is that you must live in the area for to have place there... Because that, we are thinking to accept the apt in the Upper east Side, there are a very good Public schools there (in the rating of the Great Schools web page...). In any case, we've send an e-mail to the Saint Ignatius School in order to have info about the rates, system education, etc.
I don't have more info about the apt. I really need a 3 bedroom minimum because the children are BOYS very active... We expect to have more data after Christmas.
We live right now in the country with a lot of space, so we´ll must to adapt in a small place but... NYC is a good motivation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City