Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 PM

24 posts, read 34,794 times

Advertisements

What about Astoria? I'm doing more research and this neighborhood popped up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,144,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinLady99 View Post
I like Astoria. It has a younger vibe than Jackson Heights and more places to go out. I suggested it earlier in this thread. There are plenty of Spanish speakers but I don't know if there are any areas that are majority Spanish. Some addresses would be close to Astoria Park for your dog. Commute to midtown is very reasonable.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,322,752 times
Quote:
More expensive. Anything within budget will likely be far to the west away from the main drags and the subway.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,410,723 times
Maybe nassau county close to the
lirr has some s. americans too.
Whichever's quicker.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely do more research on Ridgewood. It seems to be the same distance to Manattan as it is from Jackson Heights. Would you guys say Jackson Heights or Ridgewood has more to offer for a young single girl? And which one is safer? Thanks for everyone's help
Commute time to Manhattan from Jackson Heights depends on where you're starting in the neighborhood and which part of Manhattan you're going to. The E and F trains are express, so if you are standing on the platform in Jackson Heights and the train pulls in, you will be at the first stop in Midtown in 10-12 minutes. The 7 train is about 20 minutes to Grand Central Terminal on 42nd st. Add on walking to the station and waiting a few minutes for the train.

I believe Ridgewood is a 20 minute ride from Myrtle Wykoff station to Union Square/14th St, or a 30 minute ride on the M train to 42nd St. Of course add walking and waiting time in to those commutes as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,811,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Commute time to Manhattan from Jackson Heights depends on where you're starting in the neighborhood and which part of Manhattan you're going to. The E and F trains are express, so if you are standing on the platform in Jackson Heights and the train pulls in, you will be at the first stop in Midtown in 10-12 minutes. The 7 train is about 20 minutes to Grand Central Terminal on 42nd st. Add on walking to the station and waiting a few minutes for the train.

I believe Ridgewood is a 20 minute ride from Myrtle Wykoff station to Union Square/14th St, or a 30 minute ride on the M train to 42nd St. Of course add walking and waiting time in to those commutes as well.
More like 15 minutes to Union Square (the L goes fast and its about 10 stops from there)... And about 25-30 from the M train on Myrtle Wyckoff to 42nd St... It's true that Jackson Heights has more transit options than Ridgewood but what you sacrifice in bus and train services I feel you gain in QOL... The closest thing to Roosevelt ave in Ridgewood would probably be Seneca ave by the M train and even then it's isolated... That area though has a ton of great Spanish food options over there... And a lot of different variety... Sabor Austro, Jorge's, La Canoa, La Guadalupita, Estrella del Mar, Sabor Colombiano, El Manaba, El Valle, Rico Pollo, Montanero, etc. are all like 6 or 7 blocks from eachother near that area by the Seneca/Myrtle Wyckoff M train...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,811,367 times
Quote:
Used to have a much larger Hispanic population than it currently does... It still has a significant Hispanic population but a number of Hispanics in that area have been replaced by transplants from suburbia...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Used to have a much larger Hispanic population than it currently does... It still has a significant Hispanic population but a number of Hispanics in that area have been replaced by transplants from suburbia...
This is true, I remember going to the pool when I was a kid and being the only white kid there, now whenever I go I always see white families there. Still a pretty diverse nabe though, but I think Ridgewood and J. Heights are more better if you're looking for a more hispanic area.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
More like 15 minutes to Union Square (the L goes fast and its about 10 stops from there)... And about 25-30 from the M train on Myrtle Wyckoff to 42nd St... It's true that Jackson Heights has more transit options than Ridgewood but what you sacrifice in bus and train services I feel you gain in QOL... The closest thing to Roosevelt ave in Ridgewood would probably be Seneca ave by the M train and even then it's isolated... That area though has a ton of great Spanish food options over there... And a lot of different variety... Sabor Austro, Jorge's, La Canoa, La Guadalupita, Estrella del Mar, Sabor Colombiano, El Manaba, El Valle, Rico Pollo, Montanero, etc. are all like 6 or 7 blocks from eachother near that area by the Seneca/Myrtle Wyckoff M train...
I'm not arguing for one neighborhood over the other. I've been to Ridgewood and liked it although it has some unattractive areas, just like Jackson Heights does. I don't think it necessarily has a higher QOL than Jackson Heights unless you are only looking at the dirty/ugly parts of Jackson Heights and ignoring the historic district, which is a major part of the neighborhood. I think she should look at both neighborhoods, as well as Astoria and she will most likely know more what she wants once she looks around.

The reason I quoted 20 minutes on the L train from Ridgewood was because the L train schedule I looked at said 19 minutes between Myrtle and Union. If you round up you get 20, I guess if you round way down you get 15. I don't know, maybe some times of day it goes faster than 19 minutes. I only looked at the schedule for two trains and they were both 19 minutes. The M train schedule I looked at was 30 minutes or maybe even 33, can't remember. Maybe that one goes faster at other times of day, too, although I doubt it.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM

24 posts, read 34,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I like Astoria. It has a younger vibe than Jackson Heights and more places to go out. I suggested it earlier in this thread. There are plenty of Spanish speakers but I don't know if there are any areas that are majority Spanish. Some addresses would be close to Astoria Park for your dog. Commute to midtown is very reasonable.
Yea, Astoria does seem great. Seems like there's tons of nightlife and my cousin who lives in NYC goes there regularly. The park looks beautiful, too. And the pool is free? Nice. But it seems like it has a bigger Greek population than Hispanic population. Am I right on that or no? Correct me if I'm wrong lol I'm not physically there yet so I'm just using the Internet as my main source. Aren't Astoria and Jackson Heights really close though? Maybe I can move to Jackson Heights and just go to Astoria for nightlife... Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City