Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconup View Post
Hey People,

Im looking in the area for apartments between 150th and 167th close to the 4 train. Wondering what people think in general about the area. I've lived on 196th and Valentine and 183rd and Concourse during my childhood, but that was a long time ago. Back when I was growing up, I would never think of living in these neighborhoods again, but many tell me that things have changed. I currently live in West Harlem in the 150's. Any thoughts on the neighborhood (165 and Walton) would be appreciated. Thanks!
It really depends on the building and the block. The GC proper is probably your bets bet. You have to be very careful about what building you get into and what the buildings are like surrounding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
More quiet than the avenues, but no. I used to live there. Too much ghetto nonsense. I lived first on Sherman, then Sheridan. I'm glad to be gone. No gentrification there. Too many addicts and dealers, plus a methadone clinic on 161/Morris.
When did you leave the area ? If you were living there 10 years ago things might have changed for the better since...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
If you are currently living in the 150s in Harlem, then the area around 161st along the Grand Concourse is probably a step up! Seriously though, the area is block by block, and really building by building at this point. In general however, you want to go no higher than 165th and west is preferable to east of the Concourse. I am very bullish on that specific area, but the area is very dense with tenement buildings most of which have not really been turned over to better tenants yet.....think Washington Heights in 1999.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Seriously though, the area is block by block, and really building by building at this point. In general however, you want to go no higher than 165th and west is preferable to east of the Concourse.
Whats wrong with the parts above 165th that differs from the area closer to 161st ? I heard a few posters mention that before, especially about how you don't want to get caught above 165/167th on sheridan...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I would not say "you don't want to get caught" there..I am just saying that the major investment, changes, and amenities are south of 165th....and you have a better chance of being in a decent building because the changes are happening in and around the immediate vicinity of Yankee Stadium. There isn't a need to go higher than 165th, you want to stay as close to the city as possible, and there is nothing higher than 165th that would warrant going there anyway.

IMO, you should draw a line generally from Yankee Stadium (around 163rd) straight across the borough. Everything south of that is where changes are happening, things north of that, specifically the central Bronx, are still lagging.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconup View Post
Hey People,

Im looking in the area for apartments between 150th and 167th close to the 4 train. Wondering what people think in general about the area. I've lived on 196th and Valentine and 183rd and Concourse during my childhood, but that was a long time ago. Back when I was growing up, I would never think of living in these neighborhoods again, but many tell me that things have changed. I currently live in West Harlem in the 150's. Any thoughts on the neighborhood (165 and Walton) would be appreciated. Thanks!
You've been through the gauntlet. Some of the worst places to be back then. You'll be fine pretty much anywhere.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
So I've been asked to come see an apartment owned and operated by Tryax Realty on 171st and Walton. Don't know that I will even show up as all of my family who still lives in the area has given me the "you don't want that" schpeel. Im trying to link up with some brokers (no fee) in the Pelham Parkway area. I have a budget of $1350 top so it makes it a little hard as far as finding something "nice" in NY. Especially as I want to be on the East side trains. Any input is appreciated. As far as your comment, SuperMario - I was a pretty tough kid growing up on those blocks. If I were a single male, I wouldn't care too much about the block I lived on save for whether or not the apartment was nice. However, I have my wife to think about now and that has really changed things.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 54,223 times
This post is relevant to the Bronx, yet it is referenced on the Walton NY page. Someone please correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City