Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Number 1, its not my goal in life to be the number one expert on the Bronx. Is there pay for knowing everything there is to know in the Bronx? I don't think so.

So who really gives a flying crap if someone is right or wrong? This is just a discussion forum. People are posting their opinions, plain and simple. Grosvenor maybe right, maybe wrong ,but when all is said and done, what difference does it make?

He's proud to live in Riverdale and hates the rest of the Bronx. He is entitled to his opinion, plain and simple. As is TOKDD.
Apparently the only one who knows the Bronx is SoBro because he's from the South Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If you had some semblance of knowledge and can contribute opinions with merit, nobody would care that you are not from here. Your comments are silly, and represent complete ignorance about the borough, particularly about the Southern Bronx. I am glad that you researched the borough extensively, and have friends that live here, and heck I am sure you have driven on the cross bronx and bruckner expressway many many times....I bet you even shopped in Fordham Rd! Yippee!

Here's a hint: Despite all this "experience" with the borough, you have no idea what you are talking about based on your grossly inaccurate and ignorant statements. Period. That is the only reason I take issue with you, and why some others do also (I would just ignore Grosvenor because he also has no idea what he is talking about, and what's worse is that he actually lives in the borough...sad. Same goes for NYWriterdude..he just moved to the borough, is just a kid renting in Wakefield and has no idea what he is talking about, best to ignore them both).

Now if you want to discuss the borough, and learn, I am happy to discuss with you. But when you make silly statements based on "you know a friend who lived there 10 years ago", you sound as ignorant as those who live in Westchester with equally "accurate" opinions because they commute through the Major Deegan so they "know" the Bronx.
First off I live in Riverdale, not the Bronx, so I could care less about being an "expert" on it. Aside from the few decent areas, most of it is a dump and certainly nothing to write home about. If living in the ghetto in project housing or run down housing is what makes one an expert on the Bronx, then by all means go for it. It is not something that I would openly strive for as if it's something to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
The problem with Grosvenor is that he is flaunting his personal view as factual information.

This is a message board where people ask questions about communities to live in, or have general city related discussions.

He continually advertises Riverdale as not part of the Bronx, geographically incorrect. He then completely writes off the rest of the borough as though it makes him feel superior.

TOKidd, I enjoy your input. Keep on posting.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The problem with Grosvenor is that he is flaunting his personal view as factual information.

This is a message board where people ask questions about communities to live in, or have general city related discussions.

He continually advertises Riverdale as not part of the Bronx, geographically incorrect. He then completely writes off the rest of the borough as though it makes him feel superior.

TOKidd, I enjoy your input. Keep on posting.
Geographically speaking is one thing and what people say is another:

Bronx Press Politics: Is Riverdale really part of the Bronx?

As I said before if we were truly part of the Bronx, they would've had the ghetto tour visit Riverdale.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I

Now if you want to discuss the borough, and learn, I am happy to discuss with you. But when you make silly statements based on "you know a friend who lived there 10 years ago", you sound as ignorant as those who live in Westchester with equally "accurate" opinions because they commute through the Major Deegan so they "know" the Bronx.
But info from you isn't necessarily accurate, either, is it? You have a specific agenda. You're a landlord, and you would just love for the South Bronx to become gentrified big time over night. Yes, the South Bronx has certainly gotten better, but its got a LONG WAY to go. You've made blatantly false claims like the South Bronx is attracting a lot of affluent white gays or affluent gays in general (totally not true, the only gays I've known recently who moved to the South Bronx were Aids welfare Queens). Wealthy gays don't do the Bronx in big numbers, as the borough has a bad reputation. You've hated me every since, because I opposed your attempt to pump the real estate in the South Bronx.

One nice development is Fresh Direct is moving in, LOL

Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
Here we go again in the circle-jerk -- Riverdale and Bronx.

If I was looking to move into the Bronx, I would be foolish to place too much importance on what strangers will tell me on a stupid Internet forum about the Bronx. I will take that input with a grain of salt, and really see if the Bronx works for me.

For example if you aksed ForestHillsDaddy what he thinks about raising kids in NYC, he would give you the opposite answer from Henry. For someone, FHDaddy's opinion, although he also lives away (in Virginia), might be a better matched opinion than Henry's, although Henry's "walking the walk." It all will depend on the listener.

So TOKidd I have to tell you, although I find your fascination with the Bronx strange, who am I to judge your motivations. So fire away buddy.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
And more thing -- Although I think I know a lot about my hood, I don't know half the people in my own building, and know even less what's going on in there. In fact, I think someone with a hobby, who actually has a keen interest, reads, studies, etc etc should know more about my building than me, although he doesn't live here.

So this thing about "I live here, and I am the ultimate authority on this place", this is BS. What me to prove it to you? Give your Building address, give me 15 minutes, and I'll tell you a lot more about your own Bldg and its residents that you ever knew.

So, I think this forum is really about 90% opinions, and view-points.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
People are behaving like children. And badly brought up children at that.

Everyone voices opinions, as they should. Accusing people of claiming to be experts because they voice opinions is ridiculous and counterproductive.

More and more diverse opinions and observations is a good thing - they should be offered by people who have experience in a given area, perhaps the only qualification.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times
It's all neighborhood pride. Talking up the good points that work for YOU but neglecting the bad portions. While I am not interested in the Bronx to live, I think there are plenty that would love it. Riverdale, Bronx who cares? You are happy where you are. Don't want to be considered part of the Bronx, then keep writing Riverdale when you write letters. Bicker bicker bicker. People decide what they consider a decent neighborhood based on their needs and wants.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
It's all neighborhood pride. Talking up the good points that work for YOU but neglecting the bad portions. While I am not interested in the Bronx to live, I think there are plenty that would love it. Riverdale, NY, who cares? You are happy where you are. Don't want to be considered part of the Bronx, then keep writing Riverdale when you write letters. Bicker bicker bicker. People decide what they consider a decent neighborhood based on their needs and wants.
Oh I can assure you that I can do better than that.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
For example if you aksed ForestHillsDaddy what he thinks about raising kids in NYC, he would give you the opposite answer from Henry. For someone, FHDaddy's opinion, although he also lives away (in Virginia), might be a better matched opinion than Henry's, although Henry's "walking the walk." It all will depend on the listener.
This would have been true...if the county's name north of the Bronx were re-named "Virginia".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City