Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Isn't Riverdale actually in the Bronx?
Riverdale is in New York.

Riverdale, NY, google maps - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Ignore that poster..it is just easier. He tried to convince everyone that Riverdale is in Manhattan or that it is not in the Bronx at all. I think he is just a kid renting a basement studio apt. I am much happier now that I ignore him and his dumb posts...you should too.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ignore that poster..it is just easier. He tried to convince everyone that Riverdale is in Manhattan or that it is not in the Bronx at all. I think he is just a kid renting a basement studio apt. I am much happier now that I ignore him and his dumb posts...you should too.
So says the man living in the South Bronx. Don't blame me. That's what Google says. I never said it was in Manhattan. I said it was in New York, which it is. It's a neighborhood in New York.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
So says the man living in the South Bronx. Don't blame me. That's what Google says. I never said it was in Manhattan. I said it was in New York, which it is. It's a neighborhood in New York.
You think you sound clever but you come across as really silly by pretending that Riverdale is not IN the Bronx.

If you are confused you just have to ask yourself this: under what county jurisdiction does Riverdale falls in? Westchester co? New York co, Richmond, Kings?

Like I said you ain't fooling anybody but yourself.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You think you sound clever but you come across as really silly by pretending that Riverdale is not IN the Bronx.

If you are confused you just have to ask yourself this: under what county jurisdiction does Riverdale falls in? Westchester co? New York co, Richmond, Kings?

Like I said you ain't fooling anybody but yourself.
I'm not confused at all. Last I checked Riverdale is part of New York isn't it? I can see if I said it was part of New Jersey, but it's a neighborhood in New York and not a ghetto one either like they have in the Bronx.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
At least I live near the Bronx. You don't even live in the country! I think I'm a bit more qualified to talk about the Bronx than you are.
Don't give me that BS, man. I've spent enough time in the Bronx to make my own judgments about how I feel about the place. I don't need you telling me what to think. Your proximity to the borough doesn't give you some kind of ownership over it, or the ability to tell people who don't live there what they should or should not think about it. I can decide for myself.

What is it with some of the people on this board? You think living somewhere makes you the only people with insight into that place....oh wait, you said you lived near the Bronx, not in it. So maybe you should follow your own advice and stick to what you know.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM

106 posts, read 129,252 times
Quote:
I'm not confused at all. Last I checked Riverdale is part of New York isn't it? I can see if I said it was part of New Jersey, but it's a neighborhood in New York and not a ghetto one either like they have in the Bronx.
Everybody knows it's just as much a part of the Bronx as Morrissania or Hunts Point, only the residents persist in trying to get people to think it's anywhere but Bronx County.

In the 90's, one of my job tasks was to reimburse carfare expenses for employees. You had to submit a form with your name, address, and amount of refund, with supporting documentation. Everyone from Riverdale put Riverdale, NY on the form, while everyone else put Bronx, NY. I remember saying to myself, "who exactly do they think they are fooling", and when I entered their info into the computer, I would put Bronx instead of Riverdale, with the correct zip. A short while later, they would receive a computer generated check, lol, with Bronx NY on it.

I know that burned their you-know-whats.....rofl

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

@HarlemResident: tours of signing churches as I understand, not everyone objects to it.
Right ... right ... in other words, "There are people who object ..." - as well, perhaps, as those who do not, or those, like myself, who have no opinion given that it is not my venue.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Don't give me that BS, man. I've spent enough time in the Bronx to make my own judgments about how I feel about the place. I don't need you telling me what to think. Your proximity to the borough doesn't give you some kind of ownership over it, or the ability to tell people who don't live there what they should or should not think about it. I can decide for myself.

What is it with some of the people on this board? You think living somewhere makes you the only people with insight into that place....oh wait, you said you lived near the Bronx, not in it. So maybe you should follow your own advice and stick to what you know.
At least I live in New York. You don't live in the country!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggz494 View Post
Everybody knows it's just as much a part of the Bronx as Morrissania or Hunts Point, only the residents persist in trying to get people to think it's anywhere but Bronx County.

In the 90's, one of my job tasks was to reimburse carfare expenses for employees. You had to submit a form with your name, address, and amount of refund, with supporting documentation. Everyone from Riverdale put Riverdale, NY on the form, while everyone else put Bronx, NY. I remember saying to myself, "who exactly do they think they are fooling", and when I entered their info into the computer, I would put Bronx instead of Riverdale, with the correct zip. A short while later, they would receive a computer generated check, lol, with Bronx NY on it.

I know that burned their you-know-whats.....rofl
How they are fooling anyone by putting Riverdale, NY for the mailing address? They live in Riverdale in New York. You make it sound as if they put Riverdale, but lived in Queens or something. For your information, they do it not to "fool" anyone but because that's the way we do things in Riverdale. The businesses also put Riverdale, NY on their mailings. Why? Because that's the way it's been here for many years, and the people that live here take pride in their neighborhood and are proud of where they live. We're not like everyone else and certainly not like the Bronx. We do things the way that we see fit in our neighborhood and whoever doesn't like it, well that's just tough.

I don't go around telling people how they should do things in their neighborhood...

Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its totally not true that its impossible or even hard for poor or middle class people to live in the city. If you try to get market rate housing in Manhattan, well, that's expensive. However, a big part of the housing stock even in Manhattan is some sort of subsidized housing. Projects, 80/20s, rent controlled, rent stabilized, Mitchell Llama, LAMP, etc. We are in no danger of all of that disappearing any time soon, for a variety of reasons.

The Bronx you can get an one bedroom apartment for about 1200 a month. Long term residents tend to pay a lot less due to rent stabilization. Do keep in mind a lot of people live with roommates or families as well.

Now, its not the city's job to go out of there way to make people comfortable here. There are 50 states in the US and 100 cities in the world. If you can't find the level of comfort you're looking for, considering LEAVING and working somewhere else. People all over the world MOVE in search of better opportunities.

As far as gentrification goes, realistically most parts of the Bronx will not gentrify. The parts of NYC experiencing gentrification or that have already gentrified tend to be run down former industrial areas, or busted up crime ridden areas either in Manhattan are a close train ride to Manhattan (Harlem, LES, Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, Williamsburg, LIC, Dumbo, South Bronx, Downtown Brooklyn). The North Bronx has a whole is too far from Manhattan to gentrify, plus you have a lot of middle class and working class areas here anyway (Woodlawn, Wakefield, parts of Baychester, Fordham, etc). Look at Queens. Only LIC and Astoria gentrified. The neighborhoods full of working class and middle class people did not gentrify, in part because a lot of hipsters new to town can't afford to buy cars, homes, apartments, or condos. Which is why they always move into run down ghettoes, before the real estate industry invests big money to turn the neighborhood around.

With that said, the city will support the people it can support. There's no reason to hold people here if the city can't support them in terms of reasonable employment. If they have to leave to go elsewhere to make better lives for themselves, its is THEIR CHOICE.

A lot of Blacks and Hispanics I know ultimately chose to leave NYC for work purposes, school purposes, to get their kids out of high crime areas, or otherwise have a better quality of life.

There is nothing in the US constitution that guarantees one a certain lifestyle in NYC. If you can't make it here, you need to consider leaving.
Cant rel you but I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City