Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:16 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The issue is that there are all kinds of poor people in this city but the focus is always on the minority poor. If all you see are pictures of black and Latinos on food lines but never whites what do you think? Also do you know if these people are perpetually accepting hand-outs? Did you go into the line and personally interview each and everyone of them? Yes, some are in the cycle of generational poverty but some are really just down on their luck. Of course since we are constanly bombarded with negative messages about minorities it's easy to spew pat responses.

No, it's not illegal to photograph anyone on the street but people shouldn't be surprised if they are the recipients of intense hostility by people who don't want to be viewed as animals in a zoo.
Precisely. For years I've thought tours of the Bronx and Harlem were pretty much safaris so more affluent Whites can go safely into lower income neighborhoods to stare and gawk at Blacks and Hispanics. If you want to see the ghetto, take a 2/4/5/6 train Uptown and find a place to have a cup of coffee in and talk to real people instead of taking a bus up there with a bunch of other scared, elitist tourists lead by somebody who is pretty much a tourist herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
forget about it. all races can be pretty stupid in their own ways.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I wasn't talking about people I know. Do a search here on this forum or on Google and see how many topics come up asking about is Riverdale in Manhattan? Second, Google Maps doesn't have us as part of the Bronx, so I guess there are a lot of idiots out there. Geographically speaking the only thing separating us from Manhattan is the Spuyten Duyvil Creek, so it isn't so outrageous that anyone would think that. As far as I'm concerned we have our own thing up here. Certainly no relation to Manhattan but I can understand those who think that way and don't know any better.

I can tell you right now that we aren't included in that "Real Ghetto of the Bronx Tour". Another "idiot" that left us out...
OK - most people consider Riverdale to be a part of Manhattan, but you don't know any of them?

Any neighborhoods left out of the Real Ghetto tour aren't actually in the Bronx? My neighborhood wasn't in the tour either, but it's still the Bronx. The entire borough isn't an embodiment of the negative and often outdated stereotype.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
We're talking about the neighborhood, nothing more and it's called Riverdale, period. Whether you want to accept that or not isn't my problem, but that's what we call it here. You can check Google maps and see what they call it if it makes you feel better.

Riverdale, Manhattan, NY - Google Maps

I'm not at all concerned about investment if you're referring to Riverdale. We have plenty of investment here. It's the neighborhoods in the Bronx that suffer from poverty and a terrible image that would suffer.

With regards to the tours, everyone knows that the Bronx suffers from poverty, not just here in New York, but internationally. There is no need to give a tour for that. It's just a way to rub salt in an open womb. If it's about poverty in New York City as you and SoBro keep claiming, they wouldn't just focus on the Bronx solely because there are plenty of ghettos all over the city that they can visit. This was being done solely for entertainment purposes as if someone else's poverty should be mocked.

If that wasn't the reason, explain then why they're stopping the tours?
So then you quite clearly are concerned that by extension, since whatever it is called, Riverdale is in BRONX county, that this poverty tour tarnishes its name as well? I mean, it has the same bus system (BX) as the poorest neighborhoods in the Bronx.

And sure, there is a need for poverty tours, if someone's willing to give them and someone's willingly to pay.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
How humiliating,some people will do ANYTHING for a quick $
And some europeans will pay anything to prop themselves on top of americans

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Precisely. For years I've thought tours of the Bronx and Harlem were pretty much safaris so more affluent Whites can go safely into lower income neighborhoods to stare and gawk at Blacks and Hispanics. If you want to see the ghetto, take a 2/4/5/6 train Uptown and find a place to have a cup of coffee in and talk to real people instead of taking a bus up there with a bunch of other scared, elitist tourists lead by somebody who is pretty much a tourist herself.
Suppose they have no interest in talking to "real" people. I doubt many tourists want to talk to people standing in soup kitchen lines!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
OK - most people consider Riverdale to be a part of Manhattan, but you don't know any of them?

Any neighborhoods left out of the Real Ghetto tour aren't actually in the Bronx? My neighborhood wasn't in the tour either, but it's still the Bronx. The entire borough isn't an embodiment of the negative and often outdated stereotype.
Yes, because apparently Google maps has Riverdale listed as being part of Manhattan. You saw it with your own eyes just as I did.

I don't know about the second part. We do have tourists here but I don't think they don't come here to see if the neighborhood is ghetto.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So then you quite clearly are concerned that by extension, since whatever it is called, Riverdale[/b] is in BRONX county, that this poverty tour tarnishes its name as well[/b]? I mean, it has the same bus system (BX) as the poorest neighborhoods in the Bronx.

And sure, there is a need for poverty tours, if someone's willing to give them and someone's willingly to pay.
Not really. Riverdale isn't in need of revitalization or stricken with poverty or crime, so there would be no reason why people wouldn't want to invest here. All you need to do is talk a walk along Riverdale Avenue or Johnson Avenue and count the numerous banks here to see that there is a desire to invest here. In many Bronx neighborhoods however, this isn't the case. It's those Bronx neighborhoods that would take a hit from tours like this.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Yes, because apparently Google maps has Riverdale listed as being part of Manhattan. You saw it with your own eyes just as I did.

I don't know about the second part. We do have tourists here but I don't think they don't come here to see if the neighborhood is ghetto.
If Google said New York was located in Japan, would I actually be speaking Japanese? In other words, I don't care what Google says.

I think you need to get around a bit in the Bronx - the borough you live in. There are so many different neighborhoods in the Bronx - actually a lot of attractive areas. Not all of the Bronx fits the stereotype I suspect that you have about your own borough.

Last edited by yodel; 05-21-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:

What is the neighborhood of Kingsbridge then? That's quite clearly never referred to as Manhattan, and one must enter Kingbridge before getting to Riverdale. In fact it was big news that the Kingsbridge armory was sold to developers, because of the impact that it had for the entire borough of the Bronx.

And just because something is on the internet does not make it right.

Can people in Riverdale vote for the Manhattan borough President. No, they vote for the Bronx borough President.

Dude, people like you who come online expressly to do false advertisement of real estate should really put in loads of disclaimers.

Jump up and down and scream that Riverdale is something that its not because you're hoping to push the real estate there. At the same time, cry false tears and fake outrage at a tour taking pictures of poverty in the Bronx, because you know very well that Riverdale is in the Bronx. No legal form ever refers to Riverdale as being in New York county (Manhattan).

If Riverdale was not in the Bronx, you wouldn't care at all about a poverty tour taking pictures of the borough YOU LIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City