Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Yes, I agree 100%. Pallisade Ave compared to Mosholu Ave is a huge difference. Riverdale will never be Astoria, bay Ridge, or Willamsburg. .
Thank god.Why on earth would it want to be anything like those places ? I certainly hope it never is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Thank god.Why on earth would it want to be anything like those places ? I certainly hope it never is.
Yes and No Bluedog. When I lived in Riverdale I was single. Apartment was great but most of the time left the area for restaurants and nightlife. I was in a really nice spot but sometimes I felt like I was in Boca. I guess you want that equal balance. With all that said I feel Riverdale is the nicest area in the boogie down.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Riverdale proper???? What! North Riverdale is part of Riverdale. 1 stupid strip mall on Riverdale Ave does'nt speak for the whole area. After dealing with the nonsense on 231th ST and Bway, you will be happy to pull in to that bakery, pharmacy,bank,and supermarket.
Eh, perhaps not for the bakery... I wish that when A&P re-branded the Food Emporium they had done something to spruce it up, or expand it to be competitive, not keep it as it stands. Then again, that would take an already dangerous parking lot to an entirely different level of chaos, should the footprint be changed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
As a single, car-less woman, I found that Riverdale and West Bronx in general was less than desirable commuting wise. Ditto for Throggs Neck and Shore Haven. I loathed two car-fare zones or places that required substantial walking. I ended up buying in Pelham Parkway, which had easy access to shopping, express buses, a park and the Botanical Garden immediately next door, and the subway less than 5 minutes away.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
lol... I think we'll do everything possible to keep it the way it is.

Quote:
Yes and No Bluedog. When I lived in Riverdale I was single. Apartment was great but most of the time left the area for restaurants and nightlife. I was in a really nice spot but sometimes I felt like I was in Boca. I guess you want that equal balance. With all that said I feel Riverdale is the nicest area in the boogie down.
Yeah, but believe it or not a lot of people like it that way. This is why I find it ridiculous to say that Riverdale is such a hassle to get to because it really isn't and you have all of the action in the city just a sk. If you drive, use the express bus or use Metro North the commute isn't that big of a deal. 30 - 45 minutes isn't the end of the world. In fact that is the commute that some of my friends have that actually live in Manhattan. If you're driving it is even quicker because I get into the city in 15 - 20 minutes via car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Eh, perhaps not for the bakery... I wish that when A&P re-branded the Food Emporium they had done something to spruce it up, or expand it to be competitive, not keep it as it stands. Then again, that would take an already dangerous parking lot to an entirely different level of chaos, should the footprint be changed.
I wish so as well. Not only is the supermarket drab, but also pricey. For some items you could perhaps pay less in Manhattan or certainly in Westchester.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Like I said before, the OP needs to watch out for the Israeli Mafia and the racism that is quite evident in Riverdale. Be careful.

To BMWguy, there is nothing wrong with what I am saying. Maybe you need a lesson on how to be a moderator. Could it be that you have financial interests in the area as you have pointed out before? Is this clouding your judgment?

When the media refers to the mafia as the Italian mafia, is that racist? No, the same I refer to the Israeli or Jewish Mob, it is a fact it exists. Are you denying that? Because I would be more than happy to give proof that such a mafia exists.

Last edited by Mistertee; 05-24-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM

To the OP, I have tried to point the negative points about Riverdale. On multiple occasions, my posts have been deleted by an moderator who has a financial interest in the area. It is in all our interests to point out the negative and positive points of any area. When you see moderators acting like bullies on this site, you have to question their motives. Good luck coz you won't find the truth here.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I haven't seen all of Riverdale, but I've seen a lot of it since I've had several friends there and have done work in the area. I said I found much to be blah architecturally, not all. The strip mall part is not to my taste either. That is something I'd hope to avoid by living in NYC.

I agree, it has been overdeveloped.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
To the OP, I have tried to point the negative points about Riverdale. On multiple occasions, my posts have been deleted by an moderator who has a financial interest in the area. It is in all our interests to point out the negative and positive points of any area. When you see moderators acting like bullies on this site, you have to question their motives. Good luck coz you won't find the truth here.
The posts were deleted because of the use of offensive terminology. Nothing more or less. Do you have statistics to back up the conjecture that the streets of Riverdale are unsafe because of organized crime? If so, please post them, and the use if the term would not be offensive in that context.

As to financial interest, I do not currently own anything in Riverdale, only Manhattan and Westchester in NY, unless I have shares in a company that may own property in Riverdale. I have family who live in two areas of Riverdale, and have for many years. They are not Jewish, btw, not that it is any of your business, though that will be the next angle of attack, given the demonstrated lack of proximate financial interest in the area. None of my family has ever had any dealings with any sort of organized crime, so I do not support the assertion that organized crime is even a factor I the area, and I am in Riverdale a good amount of time, and have been since birth.

Without stats and proof, use of the term mafia is a slur, just as it would be in an Italian-American neighborhood where the majority of people are not involved in organized crime, and there is not a known concentration of business fronts and persons arrested/convicted of organized criminal activities, which is the case with some well known areas in the city.

From past posts, it seems that you have an issue with Riverdale for whatever reasons that are rooted in the past when it was more of A Sundown type of place. Bronxville was totally a Sundown hamlet, as was Scarsdale, and to a degree Pelham. It is a regrettable period in history, but that does not mean that people who live in an area today espouse said beliefs, and many do not even know of the history. Riverdale is more inclusive than Bronxville and Scarsdale, today, though there are many people of Jewish descent who call the area home, the vast majority of whom have no criminal associations whatsoever.

It is tiring when myths are presented as fact, giving rise to stereotypes and slurs. So, if you have the facts to back up the assertion that organized crime is of such paramount importance that the OP needs to be aware of this when making a decision as to whether or not to consider Riverdale, please gives us the sources so that we can all have a greater understanding. If not, please think twice before using terminology that is offensive when there is no substantive proof of the assertion.

Does organized crime exist? Yes, and it is not the sole purview of the Italian-American community in NYC. Is it pertinent to this discussion of a place for the OP to live? Not unless there is a clear correlation with danger from outside sources. This is not a thread for conjecture, which is what I said when I asked you to respect the fact that the OP was looking for a place to live. Do not derail this thread with anything that is not related to that topic as it is of specific importance to the OP, and this is not a general discussion thread. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The posts were deleted because of the use of offensive terminology. Nothing more or less. Do you have statistics to back up the conjecture that the streets of Riverdale are unsafe because of organized crime? If so, please post them, and the use if the term would not be offensive in that context.

As to financial interest, I do not currently own anything in Riverdale, only Manhattan and Westchester in NY, unless I have shares in a company that may own property in Riverdale. I have family who live in two areas of Riverdale, and have for many years. They are not Jewish, btw, not that it is any of your business, though that will be the next angle of attack, given the demonstrated lack of proximate financial interest in the area. None of my family has ever had any dealings with any sort of organized crime, so I do not support the assertion that organized crime is even a factor I the area, and I am in Riverdale a good amount of time, and have been since birth.

Without stats and proof, use of the term mafia is a slur, just as it would be in an Italian-American neighborhood where the majority of people are not involved in organized crime, and there is not a known concentration of business fronts and persons arrested/convicted of organized criminal activities, which is the case with some well known areas in the city.

From past posts, it seems that you have an issue with Riverdale for whatever reasons that are rooted in the past when it was more of A Sundown type of place. Bronxville was totally a Sundown hamlet, as was Scarsdale, and to a degree Pelham. It is a regrettable period in history, but that does not mean that people who live in an area today espouse said beliefs, and many do not even know of the history. Riverdale is more inclusive than Bronxville and Scarsdale, today, though there are many people of Jewish descent who call the area home, the vast majority of whom have no criminal associations whatsoever.

It is tiring when myths are presented as fact, giving rise to stereotypes and slurs. So, if you have the facts to back up the assertion that organized crime is of such paramount importance that the OP needs to be aware of this when making a decision as to whether or not to consider Riverdale, please gives us the sources so that we can all have a greater understanding. If not, please think twice before using terminology that is offensive when there is no substantive proof of the assertion.

Does organized crime exist? Yes, and it is not the sole purview of the Italian-American community in NYC. Is it pertinent to this discussion of a place for the OP to live? Not unless there is a clear correlation with danger from outside sources. This is not a thread for conjecture, which is what I said when I asked you to respect the fact that the OP was looking for a place to live. Do not derail this thread with anything that is not related to that topic as it is of specific importance to the OP, and this is not a general discussion thread. Thank you.

There was nothing offensive on my post. I suggest you re-read the post you deleted. Or maybe you should get some glasses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City