U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,231 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Reputation: 19856

Advertisements

I can never understand why people rent out their basements when they are illegal. Haven't we all heard these horror stories by now.


I feel sorry for neither the tenant or the LL.

and the LL should know this already. whats wrong with people today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
 
Location: New York State
287 posts, read 486,899 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
To the OP, did you bother doing a background check of this tenant before you let him/her move into your illegal basement? Also, you knew your basement was illegal and you still decided to rent it out so that makes the owness is on you. You should have done things the right way and maybe you wouldn't be in this mess.

I hope you get the person out but you need to accept responsibility for your negligence.


He/she is just looking for advice. Not to hear any crap from you. Counterproductive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 1,917,051 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
He/she is just looking for advice. Not to hear any crap from you. Counterproductive
Put a sock in it man. I gave the person advice. Don't be irresponsible and use good judgement and you will not have any problems in the future. The OP put themselves in this mess and when you are asking for suggestions/advice on a public forum you will get all sorts of answers. If you want better advice then speak to a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New York State
287 posts, read 486,899 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Put a sock in it man. I gave the person advice. Don't be irresponsible and use good judgement and you will not have any problems in the future. The OP put themselves in this mess and when you are asking for suggestions/advice on a public forum you will get all sorts of answers. If you want better advice then speak to a lawyer.


Everyone makes mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM
 
4 posts, read 21,054 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are you sure it was a holdover case or an ejectment case? Because you cannot have any type of Housing Court proceedings to get back arrears or possession on an illegal apartment. The Court will not award any type of judgment to you on something that is illegal to have, does that make sense?
I'm sure it was a holdover...before we said anything, the judge said "This is a holdover case, which means the landlord seeks to retake possession of the property". It wasn't worded exactly like that but that was the gist of it. I also openly told the court it was illegal, there was no point hiding it at that point because the tenant would have said it if I didn't. The judge gave her 30 days to move. That's why I was so relieved and shocked when I actually won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
To the OP, did you bother doing a background check of this tenant before you let him/her move into your illegal basement? Also, you knew your basement was illegal and you still decided to rent it out so that makes the owness is on you. You should have done things the right way and maybe you wouldn't be in this mess.

I hope you get the person out but you need to accept responsibility for your negligence.
No background check, not even a google search. I had an ad in the paper and many people came to see the place, but I wanted to wait and get a feel for someone before I said yes. When she came, she started crying during the interview and said she came from a shelter. She asked for the place as soon as possible and said she felt unsafe at the shelter, she desperately wanted out. I believed her and she moved in the same day. To be honest though how fast she came in didn't make a difference because stupidly, it never occurred to me to do background checks. She gave a reference number that she said was her mother, but I never called it. I went off how much I liked the person. I felt like I had good judgement when it came to sensing whether a person was good or bad, but I guess I was wrong.

After I started getting issues I googled her out of curiosity and saw her public facebook, where she had statuses where she bragged about using people for bail and laughed about how they thought she cared about them. If I had done a quick 5 minute search I would've never let her in. I'll be honest at the time, though I knew it was illegal, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. When I first came to this country I lived in a room in a basement with 2 other tenants. ( we all had separate rooms) So when I came on hard times financially, it was one of the first things I thought about. When I bought the house there was a kitchen and a bathroom downstairs. I never rented before because I didn't need to, but I came on really hard times. I figured once I was honest with people about what they were getting and that it was illegal, it was ok. Most people seemed not to care or already figured.

Renting it was a terrible choice and one that I'll never repeat, trust me. There's too much risk and drama. Honestly after this I wouldn't even rent a legal apartment much less an illegal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes
This was definitely a huge mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
I will say this for general consumption and I will use capitals for emphasis. This should apply to every New York landlord:

DON'T EVER RENT OUT AN ILLEGAL APARTMENT.

It really is just that simple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
570 posts, read 482,478 times
Reputation: 532
You could also pay her to move out, May be money well spent and less painless to all parties. Would you pay her "X" months worth of rent for "getaway money"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM
 
339 posts, read 556,412 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassan View Post
Maybe it was a barb :/ it didn't sound like one at the time. She intends to sue for all the rent she paid, when she said that the judge said she would never get that money back even though I'm pretty sure she might have a case? The basement looks like a regular apartment, the windows are just small. Other than that it looks just as good as the section that my family lives on. I've definitely learned my lesson! I needed the money badly but it isn't worth walking on eggshells in my own home and the damage to my property that this woman caused.


Initials are R.B


She plans to sue me for all her rent, so I'm sure she would try and sue for anything she could. I really should get a lawyer. :/


If I was sure it wouldn't be an illegal eviction I definitely would. But if it's in any way illegal she will not only sue but try to have me arrested. She tried several times to have me arrested for stupid allegations.
I can't believe it's not the same person, this sounds JUST LIKE a psycho I had to deal with. Just out of a shelter, tried to have me arrested, knew how to game the system--the works. Ours was a slightly different situation--we were going to let her couch-surf for two weeks while she looked for an apartment. We realized that she didn't seem to be looking at ALL and was getting a little too comfortable in our living room so we nicely gave her two weeks notice and she readily agreed. The first two weeks, plus the notice took her just over a month, which she was well aware (once you've been in an apartment for 30 days you have significantly expanded tenant rights in NYC which we did not know). When her day came she did a complete personality turnaround. Screamed at us, refused to move, threatened us. It was pretty awful.

My (former) landlord is also a lawyer and eviscerated her in court. If you want his information I can give it to you. He is terrific at getting rid of problem tenants.

Edited to add: And we were doing her a FAVOR! She'd sent out an email looking for a couch so she could apartment-hunt and one of my friends forwarded it to all her friends, *highly* recommending her. When Crazy flipped out, I called the friend saying WTF, this person is nuts!!! The whole saga was unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
 
23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I can't believe it's not the same person, this sounds JUST LIKE a psycho I had to deal with. Just out of a shelter, tried to have me arrested, knew how to game the system--the works. Ours was a slightly different situation--we were going to let her couch-surf for two weeks while she looked for an apartment. We realized that she didn't seem to be looking at ALL and was getting a little too comfortable in our living room so we nicely gave her two weeks notice and she readily agreed. The first two weeks, plus the notice took her just over a month, which she was well aware (once you've been in an apartment for 30 days you have significantly expanded tenant rights in NYC which we did not know). When her day came she did a complete personality turnaround. Screamed at us, refused to move, threatened us. It was pretty awful.

My (former) landlord is also a lawyer and eviscerated her in court. If you want his information I can give it to you. He is terrific at getting rid of problem tenants.

Edited to add: And we were doing her a FAVOR! She'd sent out an email looking for a couch so she could apartment-hunt and one of my friends forwarded it to all her friends, *highly* recommending her. When Crazy flipped out, I called the friend saying WTF, this person is nuts!!! The whole saga was unbelievable.
Which brings up another point? If this isn't someone you know well, why in heavens name would you do something so stupid? NYC has a huge social services/welfare complex, and poor people know it very well. I think sometimes people help people not because it makes sense (if you're dirt poor how the hell are you doing to have your life in order to get an apartment in two weeks) but because they're trying to feel good or claim that they are doing good deeds. Only people like this woman knew how to play do gooderism.

Btw, if the person has mail or some sort of evidence that they are staying in your place, they could claim they've been there for 30 days, when they have not and it would be your word against theirs, backed up by whatever mail. Meaning you're stuck with them until you have a court order for them to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 AM
 
339 posts, read 556,412 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which brings up another point? If this isn't someone you know well, why in heavens name would you do something so stupid? NYC has a huge social services/welfare complex, and poor people know it very well. I think sometimes people help people not because it makes sense (if you're dirt poor how the hell are you doing to have your life in order to get an apartment in two weeks) but because they're trying to feel good or claim that they are doing good deeds. Only people like this woman knew how to play do gooderism.

Btw, if the person has mail or some sort of evidence that they are staying in your place, they could claim they've been there for 30 days, when they have not and it would be your word against theirs, backed up by whatever mail. Meaning you're stuck with them until you have a court order for them to leave.

1) Because a good friend recommended her (very strong rec--boy, was she sorry!), 2) because my roommate was very poor at the time and could use some extra money, and 3) actors do this all the time. I've done it before, once for a good friend, once for a stranger who, again, was recced by a good friend. Never had a problem until Crazy came along--never again!

BTW you make it sound as though there's something wrong with trying to help out people. Kind of weird! People *should* help each other out--you should use common sense obviously but there's nothing wrong with being a decent person and extending a hand. Your use of weasel words like "do gooderism" is creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top