Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

If you want third world in NYC, check out the iron triangle

Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you want third world in NYC, check out the iron triangle
Check out the area south of Conduit, North of Linden Blvd, and east of Elderts Lane.

http://kensinger.blogspot.com/2009/08/hole.html

Want to know what's sad, this is just a very small section of Brooklyn, and I don't think any places in the Bronx look like this, yet most of Detroit does.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in the Bronx about 3 days a week for deliveries. I must say, the Bronx is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern and eastern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BX is the most rundown borough?
Where are all these rich people who want to give up their houses and cars just to move to run down apartments in the Bronx coming from?

Not to mention, the city was simply overbuilt with apartments. The whole city. No way around it.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
So do Pakistan and Colombia. So what?

Marne-la-Vallée near Paris

Quoted for fun.
That's horribly tacky...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Actually the entire USA is descending into third-world status.

Some places are just 'progressing' faster than others.

There are holdouts, to be sure. Enjoy while you can
Indeed so....and we have been for many years. That's why this thread caught my attention.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in the Bronx about 3 days a week for deliveries. I must say, the Bronx is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern and eastern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BX is the most rundown borough?
I doubt you've even covered half of the Bronx...

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM

499 posts, read 793,552 times
I do agree that too much of the Bronx looks run-down. I'd say only 1/3 of it though. I think the skewed negative perception is based on seeing the borough from the highway or the train. But there are plenty of average - good pockets in between.

I don't see the Bronx changing rapidly though. It's in it's current state partially because gov't policies keep it that way.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
The OP statement is wayyy off.

I'm still waiting to see the 25% you consider first world.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As true Native New Yorker I can put up with that crap looking like crap, apparently you cant, so you gtfoh. Just as long as it is not my home, attire or car and the ones zi love and care for don't look like crap, Im good. The borough named the Bronx is my home and my birth. Im very proud to be a Bronxite, comparing the Bronx to the 3rd world shows the op has a lack of thought and knowledge of travel. Hell the Bronx is alot better than most places like Detroit for example. As for me not knowing the city well, this morning coming in from LI on my way to to the BX, I made a detour in LIC for breakfast, the area looks nice but still to over priced for what its worth, especially being next to an rail yard.
LIC is industrial but down by the water there are beautiful views of the city. Not to mention you're one stop from the city on the E train. LIC is pricey because of proximity and easy access to the city. I've been working in LIC for 10 years and I have seen major improvements and clean-up.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
Speaking of the Iron Triangle, I went there after reading an article at Forgotten New York. What is fascinating are the bucolic street names after flowers or trees.

It did remind me of the South. I recall back in 98 I went to an area of New Orleans, 4 miles from Bourbon Street and off a paved road into an area of one floor houses on stilts and unpaved streets that were often muddy. Now that area reminded MORE of Belize City, Central America than the US.

Anyway, if there is an area that should NOT be developed and turned into part horse farm and wetland area it is that area. I don't understand why they have allowed building there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City