Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,234,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,064,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post

I think this is more of a issue regarding location and demeanor than skin color, but skin color is getting dragged into it as a byproduct. Dress and act like a schlub, risk getting treated like one. I think even if these cops a some white person driving in a bad neighborhood, looking like a mess, and interacting, they are going to get suspicious of them as well, the only problem is this likely doesn't happen that often to play into the statistics.
Except constitutionally you cannot stop and frisk someone because of how they dress and act, UNLESS there is reasonable suspicion that the person has ALREADY committed a crime, or is going to commit a crime. Since the federal courts have already ruled against NYC on this one, ANY cop dumb enough to stop someone on something vague like how he looks risks being personally sued, along with the NYPD.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Marijuana should be 100% legalized and taxed. I've always maintained this. That would solve that problem. In fact, I think small amounts are only violations these days. I agree with you though.

That said, I don't feel that stop and frisk is as simple as people like to go on about. Is it not worth it to continue the policy if it saves one little toddler's life a year? I guarantee you that the parents of dead toddlers caught in cross fire will tell you it is. We need to focus on the culture that breeds this lifestyle. Only then will people not be "profiled".
No, and its ridiculous that people always bring "the children" in order to try to get an attempt to gain sympathy for any crap argument.

The constitution protects against unreasonable search. So unless you already committed a crime, get caught in the act of one, or about to commit one, the cops have no right to search you, PERIOD.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
3. Realtors who have made a killing in Harlem and especially Brooklyn. Criminals know yo Po Po can't or won't wanna stop me. I'm gonna start carrying a gun. The cop in today's Daily News was a scary prediction. I'm not risking getting sued or ccrb complaint. It's not worth it. At the end of the day every other Thursday a paycheck comes with or without a stop.
The police don't exist to serve the real estate industry in pumping up areas they know to be poor neighborhoods. If these neighborhoods have crime issues, its for the city government to deal with via welfare reform, job creation, among other policies. Just trying to lock people up and jail and let the out in a few years is a massive waste of taxpayer dollars and quite clearly isn't working. Especially with a lot of non violent drug offenders are incarcerated.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, and its ridiculous that people always bring "the children" in order to try to get an attempt to gain sympathy for any crap argument.

The constitution protects against unreasonable search. So unless you already committed a crime, get caught in the act of one, or about to commit one, the cops have no right to search you, PERIOD.

If it was your hypothetical child that had it's head explode in cross-fire, you would be singing a different tune. In fact, you would most likely be writing blogs in support of the policy, seeing the amount you go on and on in these forums.

Again, it's not such a simple answer. Neither you or I are beat cops and can't sit here claiming to know what does or does not seem like a reasonable search at any given time. Does better training need to take place if it's to continue. Perhaps. Should we completely strip away "profiling"? Should we not give officers descriptions of perps' skin tone, ethnicities anymore? I think that is lunacy...

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM

916 posts, read 2,251,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least she's honest... Still suspect she was being sarcastic.
No way that's serious. I think she was just trolling the liberals like some forum members does here once
a while pretending to be certain race/party and make a fool out of themselves to make that group look
bad. A liberal will never admit to something like that on air even if she really think this way. I'm not really
into politics, but my bet is Joan from Upper West Side is a conservative pulling a prank call making fun of
the liberals being hypocrites.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,698,333 times
Quote:
The police don't exist to serve the real estate industry in pumping up areas they know to be poor neighborhoods. If these neighborhoods have crime issues, its for the city government to deal with via welfare reform, job creation, among other policies. Just trying to lock people up and jail and let the out in a few years is a massive waste of taxpayer dollars and quite clearly isn't working. Especially with a lot of non violent drug offenders are incarcerated.
Who said they did??????? I posted that 3 separate groups of people will suffer the most. Please reread the post.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 AM

19,099 posts, read 14,068,936 times
Quote:
Since the federal courts have already ruled against NYC on this one, ANY cop dumb enough to stop someone on something vague like how he looks risks being personally sued, along with the NYPD.
I wouldn't count on the non-dumb ones stopping anyone they actually can stop anytime in the near future either after this.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 AM

45 posts, read 96,923 times
bout time

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Newz View Post
bout time

I think people reading this thread understand your thoughts and feelings on the matter the first three times you posted these exact two words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City