Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM

268 posts, read 340,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of the guns seem like they're in the hands of gang members. Put the cops where the gang members are. They'll find all kinds of stuff if they start concentrating on where the gangs are located.
And how do they do that without Stop and Frisk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
And how do they do that without Stop and Frisk?
Take down the gangs the same way feds take down organized crime. Surveillance. They need to get rid of the gangs in this city with hard proof. Half of the time the arrests get thrown out in court due to lack of evidence. The boy that got killed in the Bronx by the cop had an attempted murder charge thrown out against him because the victim did not want to talk and they could not find the gun. What does that sound like? If they had investigated and broken up the gang he would have been off the street a long time ago.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Take down the gangs the same way feds take down organized crime. Surveillance. They need to get rid of the gangs in this city.
And what cop is going to try that if he has to be afraid of being sued with the race card being thrown around?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And what cop is going to try that if he has to be afraid of being sued with the race card being thrown around?

You know what the funny thing is....I didn't know all criminals look alike. If the NYPD presented stop and frisk in this kind of manner:

"Our studies have shown that the majority of violent crime that occurs within the boundaries of North Street, South Street, East Street and West Street are being committed by boys between the ages of 16-18, from 5'-7"-5'-10" in height," then they wouldn't have a problem. If I'm being robbed, who cares what race I'm getting robbed by? What advantage does making race a variable have to determine who gets stopped? The fact of the matter is that the high crime neighborhoods in this city just so happen to be black and Hispanic. So why do they make the race thing so pronounced when they are patrolling these neighborhoods in the first place. Duhh we know that's what you're looking for, but what sense does it make to let the whole world know you're going after 2 races. Bad move right there. That's what people are getting frustrated with, and sometime the professionalism is not the best. Yeah sure there's good cops and bad cops, but I expect them all to be good. Would you board a plane and say don't worry honey there's good pilots and bad pilots??? Hell no you expect the captain to get you there in one piece!

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...isk-recording/

Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
You know what the funny thing is....I didn't know all criminals look alike. If the NYPD presented stop and frisk in this kind of manner:

"Our studies have shown that the majority of violent crime that occurs within the boundaries of North Street, South Street, East Street and West Street are being committed by boys between the ages of 16-18, from 5'-7"-5'-10" in height," then they wouldn't have a problem. If I'm being robbed, who cares what race I'm getting robbed by? What advantage does making race a variable have to determine who gets stopped? The fact of the matter is that the high crime neighborhoods in this city just so happen to be black and Hispanic. So why do they make the race thing so pronounced when they are patrolling these neighborhoods in the first place. Duhh we know that's what you're looking for, but what sense does it make to let the whole world know you're going after 2 races. Bad move right there. That's what people are getting frustrated with, and sometime the professionalism is not the best. Yeah sure there's good cops and bad cops, but I expect them all to be good. Would you board a plane and say don't worry honey there's good pilots and bad pilots??? Hell no you expect the captain to get you there in one piece!

New York City Cop Testifies That He Was Told To Target Young Black Men | ThinkProgress
But that's the thing, your post implies that cops are going after these two groups just because. They are targeting them simply because these two groups commit the most crime and are the victims of most of the crimes (and it's usually youths who are the perpetrators and the victims so naturally they are going to target these groups), so who else are they supposed to target more when you yourself admit that they should target areas with the highest crime, which is exactly what they're doing. It's almost as if they're supposed to tip toe around these two groups and overlook the fact they commit the most crime. I should also add that other groups are also stopped in this city, but less so because they commit less crime, so they're essentially pooling their resources where they're the most effective which is in high crime areas.

You can't argue on the one hand that they should flood high crime areas with police but then say that they shouldn't use Stop and Frisk, when it's a well known fact that it is an effective tool in helping them combat crime. That's precisely why Stop and Frisk has been deemed constitutional for years. You still haven't clarified how exactly they would use Stop and Frisk to begin with? How are the cops supposed to know who are the actual gang members and who aren't by just flooding the neighborhood, as if that is so easy to figure out?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM

573 posts, read 1,463,137 times
Quote:

New York City Cop Testifies That He Was Told To Target Young Black Men | ThinkProgress
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SeventhFloor again."

Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,211,805 times
Judge also said to NYPD "it's not my job to do your job. Figure it out for yourself, within the confines of the Constitution." And within the Budget, but she didn't say that.

If fighting crime was easy, it would be a different story.

One thing I disagree is that NYPD cannot refer to someone as black male, Hispanic male, Asian chick or White *****. That is crazy IMO.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
But that's the thing, your post implies that cops are going after these two groups just because. They are targeting them simply because these two groups commit the most crime and are the victims of most of the crimes (and it's usually youths who are the perpetrators and the victims so naturally they are going to target these groups), so who else are they supposed to target more when you yourself admit that they should target areas with the highest crime, which is exactly what they're doing. It's almost as if they're supposed to tip toe around these two groups and overlook the fact they commit the most crime. I should also add that other groups are also stopped in this city, but less so because they commit less crime, so they're essentially pooling their resources where they're the most effective which is in high crime areas.

You can't argue on the one hand that they should flood high crime areas with police but then say that they shouldn't use Stop and Frisk, when it's a well known fact that it is an effective tool in helping them combat crime. That's precisely why Stop and Frisk has been deemed constitutional for years. You still haven't clarified how exactly they would use Stop and Frisk to begin with? How are the cops supposed to know who are the actual gang members and who aren't by just flooding the neighborhood, as if that is so easy to figure out?
They just had it on the news - 250 guns taken off the street in a bust by doing undercover work. And you know how they're getting up here? Greyhound bus. Nobody's bags get checked and you don't have to go through a metal detector. How come the boys can't figure that one out. But it's much easier to just sit in a car and hop out and frisk any minority that walks past.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,211,805 times
God forbid they stopped and frisked every greyhound bus passing thru Harlem and Sobro.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
God forbid they stopped and frisked every greyhound bus passing thru Harlem and Sobro.
The Port Authority Police can do that, stop every bus coming up from NC, VA, GA, SC and other regions of the south and trisk suspicious or in other words African American men on the bus who visit relatives and friends in the south in PA bus terminal in MIdtown and PA Bus Station in Washington Heights. I really don't see Greyhound Buses passing through Sobro unless if its on its way to Boston which like NYC is anti gun or going towards Canada, U.S customs don't play that ****. I do think that the NYPD, PAPD and the TSA should work together and scan bags on buses, entering and leaving bus terminals.

NYC Gun Bust The Largest In City History, Says NYPD; Firearms Smuggled In Luggage On Buses

Read the whole story! I wondered if the NYPD had just planned this out and paid off the accused!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-19-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City