Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Obama is not black. He is no more black than he is white..why does this confuse you exactly? IMO the most influential black person ever could be Martin Luther King who changed our entire society in ways every other American after him can only dream, black OR white. Something tells me you do not know anything about past or present black leadership in America, besides the stereotypes/loud mouths clamoring for fame, to even make such a statement.

Sorry, unfortunately Obama is considered to be black since that is what he identifies himself as being. I think that your arguement would be more factual if you have said that "Obama's ancestory is not the same as MLK since his mother was white and his father was African". You also failed to mention the obivious as well, MLK was assinated because of what he did by changing a society that did not want to change.

If he looked like Derek Jeter, who is also biracial, would you still call him black? Do you call Derek Jeter black? If not, why not? They are both biracial, regardless of what genes happened to express themselves. Are you unable to look past the color of the person to see the content of their character? To see who they actually are?
Derek Jeter would be considered to be of black decent due to his father being Black although his mother was Irish/German. Apparently he also identifies himself as being black as well. A better example would have been Tiger Woods, who does not identify himself as being black, but is also bi-racial (black father and Asian mother)

Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Obama imo is the most influential black male EVER. IMO. IMO because of the family breakdown in the black race it causes big problems. Like I said that's my opinion and many others. Fire away the usual mantra Racism.
I would agree that Obama is influential which is due to his position, but he is not the most ever. Fredrick Douglas, WEB Dubois, Malcolm X, Dr ML. King come to mind off of the top of my head and there are more. the family breakdown is a probelm but it is not the only one nor is it just a black probelm either.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Projecting onto others

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There are a lot of hawaiians and samoans that live in LA. They said that whites would use this word for them as well. They basically used it for all aboriginal cultures.

Amazing. Because when you read up on what these "non-savages" would do at lynching parties, it's like something from out of a demented horror movie. The movies Hostel I and II come to mind. The most recent when they dragged that black dude behind a pickup truck in Texas. There were pieces of skin, body parts and bone matter for miles. They did all this cause he owed them less than $500.

But yet, aboriginal descendants are "savages".
It's called "projecting". Some people will project onto "other" people what they are themselves. For example, cheaters are suspicious of others and are quick to accuse their partner of cheating and see deceit behind the most innocent of actions. It's because they know that they're deceitful so that colors their perception of others. Interesting explanation of projection below and definitely can apply to racial or ethnic groups referring to other races or ethnic groups as "savages":

Psychological projection was conceptualized by Sigmund Freud in the 1890s as a defense mechanism in which a person unconsciously rejects his or her own unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] For example, a person who is rude may accuse other people of being rude....Freud would later come to believe that projection did not take place arbitrarily, but rather seized on and exaggerated an element that already existed on a small scale in the other person.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'd like to make this comment about people being raised by single parents. Considering many people (regardless of ethnicity) are turning their back on marriage but have no problems cohabiting and having children, then expect those "out of wedlock" numbers to increase. I am pro marriage, but I'm just being real here. Many younger people today are eschewing marriage for a number of reasons but have no problems becoming parents. Hell, look at the celebrities.

Also, just because the father isn't married to the mother (including divorce) doesn't mean that he isn't involved in the kid's life. My mother divorced my father, but he remained a presence in my life. Technically she was a "single parent", but she had an excellent support in the form of my grandmother. Extended family is a wonderful resource. It also helped that my mother was also a diligent parent who was actively involved in my rearing and education. The results of their hard work? I am doing well in life. So, being a "single parent" or having a kid in wedlock isn't the issue here. It's the quality of the individual parent. Some people just flat out suck at parenting and I don't think two in the household would make a difference.
Those statistics which include gay parents, non-married (by choice), separated parents, a jailed parent, death of a parent or just people who can't afford to be married at the time for whatever reason are never included. Sadly, some not-to-wise or non-educated people pick up on the stats and run with them without understanding what they are reading. I think that it is funny that some paranoid old white man from Canada is trying to lecture people in another country in states that he has never seen about people that he does not even know The real amazing thing is that what his ignorant behind does not take into consideration is that the blacks that are in Canada are ....what for it....CANDIANS! Black Canadians have very little historical things in common with American Blacks. But I'm sure that good old Max had lengthly conversations with them and already knew this before he came on and made a complete ass out of himself trying to compare the two

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Obviously there is something wrong with Black culture and values. It's not about race, it's about CULTURE. We need to talk about this. No amount of money is going to fix this ... only the Black people themselves can fix this.
I agree with this statement and I am Black. There is definitely something wrong with the culture and values (or lack of values to put it another way). Right, no amount of money will fix it...as demonstrated by so many high-income Black pro-athletes who make the same stupid mistakes and decisions that their counterparts make in the hood. It's an internal problem and starts with "upbringing" - how a child is raised and what they are taught to value and respect. What they're taught at a young age will show up in them when they get older. What the parent(s) says is important but even more important is what the parent(s) does; meaning how does the parent live his or her life? That is the main place where the failure comes in. The child will mirror the parent(s) for the most part which is why out-of-wedlock births have skyrocketed among Black people. Both boys and girls have seen their parents engage in this lifestyle as if it's no big deal so they grow up and continue the same path. This applies to all areas of life. There are exceptions where people come from good families and still decide to mess up but that is not the norm. Most people take on the lifestyle values that were reinforced in their sphere of life when they were growing up: sphere meaning their immediate family members, extended family, neighbors, friends, school (and church/mosque/assembly if the family is religious).

Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually your examples are not entirely correct..

3. Actually Latinos have the highest OOW births in the country. This can be attributed to the fact that the majority of them are catholic and does not believe in birth control
What form of Catholicism says that sex before marriage is ok, but it's not ok to use birth control?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Except there are quite a few blacks like Chris Brown who have wealth and fame and are STILL ghetto as they always were. Just look at how many black athletes and celebrities get into trouble compared to say hockey players or white celebrities. Big difference.

Maybe you should try to get American cable, becaue it is there unless you deliberately turn your head away whenever something happens by wealthy whites

As I've asked repeatedly how come absolutely NO ONE can find me even one large black community that has low crime? I've checked and literally EVERY black community that is 50,000 or above has high crime rates. That's right NOT ONE significant concentration of blacks in the ENTIRE US has low crime. So if you say the majority of blacks aren't violent or criminals, there sure as heck more than just a few if almost every single black community has enough of them to have high crime rates.

Because your lack of American demographics cannot fathom the fact that those numbers do not exist in this country, so why are you still asking? Why don't you ask for something more realistic like a unicorn? It has been explained to you numerous times but yet you still ask the same assinine question

I don't jump for joy everytime I see a black person in the news for committing a crime against a non-black. The reason I post statistics and stories of non-blacks being victims of blacks is because so many people still seem to think blacks are the victims in America when in fact THEY are mostly the aggressors and perpetrators and commit the most interracial crime in the US BY FAR AND IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE.

Against one another in THIS country, so why does that concern you? Since you are obvious slow regarding blacks in this country neverless American history I really don't see a point to this conversation.

Everytime a black person is a victim of crime where a non-black is the suspect, it gets talked about FOR AGES. Everytime if a black feels even abit of racism against them, it gets talked about FOR AGES. Blacks protest and yell and complain without end when they feel mistreated or if someone or some entity was supposedly racist towards them.

Like the misinformation that you are sprouting from your piehole? People like you are part of the probelm by consistly spreading misinformation like you know what the hell you are talking about and those who not as bright as you are, eat it up without thinking.

But then you look at the flipside and how many blacks do you see speaking up when its blacks that commit crime and murder and are racist against non-blacks? NOT ONE DAMN PEEP. That's what's so frustrating and inferiorating. If blacks want to point out how they're profiled and how they're victims, that's fine. But then they MUST also acknowledge and admit that THEY commit the majority of interracial crimes. That's the only way that it would be fair.

I guess that Stromfront does not report that type of information but there are many blacks that are frontline against crime in general but again the Candian broadcast system does not show that either.

Blacks demand apologies, compensation and change of 'the system' everytime they're the victims, but they rarely if EVER do the same when they're the perpetrators of crime. This is the hypocrisy of blacks and this is why MORE LIGHT needs to be shone on this problem until blacks admit that they really ARE NOT the victims in most cases, but actually they're the problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

You are right and the first thing that we all collectively can do is make sure ignorant racist like yourself stay in CANADA! Maybe if we all send you some information on American history and how it has treated it's minorities you might <gasp> even learn something

If blacks of a higher social class or less inclined to commit violent crime, then again how come there aren't many peaceful black communities in the entire US? How come whites of middle or low income can still live in relative peace while blacks can't?

Really? Can you enlighten us all on your crime statistics of U.S blacks who earn over 100k a year and compare them to poor white ghettos who are on assistance and lets see who has the lower crime rate.

And also if black families with more money have better family structure, then why do about 70+% of black children grow up in single family homes in the US? That doesn't sound like a strong family structure to me.

It figures that you don't even listen to what you say. Did'nt you just say that 70% grow up in single parent homes? What about the other 30%? What about those who have single family homes but never commit any crimes and are productive citizens. What are your stats for white famillies or hispanic ones. I think that you are afraid of the BLACK BOOGEYMAN......BOO! There is one at your door!

Maybe they should stop dwelling on the past and thinking of themselves as the eternal victims and start working together towards a better future. Nearly every race/ethnic group on the planet is doing that to some degree except for many blacks and Muslims.

Now you are spreading your B.S worldwide! Really, I mean seriously have you ever left your house for any period of time other to go to the store to pick up your copy of "I can't stand black people digest"?

I agree people should be focusing on and improving themselves, except blacks don't do that nearly enough. If black parents and communities worked together decades ago, black crime and poverty would've declined a fair bit a looooong time ago. But many blacks DON'T do this and they've let crime and violence grow to where it is now. Where even little black kids who haven't even reached their 15th birthday are now getting into trouble and committing serious crimes.

Why don't you google "Black Wall St" and "Rosewood" and come back and talk "history" with us all since your veiws on American blacks and history is a little askewed. Actually I think that your understanding of american history has come from watching too much of "Birth of a Nation" over and over again.

How messed up is that? Its getting to the point where if a black male reaches their 20s before committing their first crime, you think to yourself 'what took them so long?'. That's how bad things are. And considering so many blacks are like this these days, you can't blame people for lumping blacks together because they DO commit so much crime and violence. As I said, if blacks want people to stop thinking of you as criminals and thugs, then STOP BEHAVING THAT WAY. Its that simple.
You make as much sense as a rabbit with diarrhea at a Star Trek convention

Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM

Default That's the problem

I'm pretty sure that when they say that over 70% of black kids are raised in single parent homes, it means the majority of them don't have the other parent actively involved in their kid's lives. IE they are long gone.

That's exactly what it means for most single Black families: the onus and burden of raising the children fall on the woman. The man, for the most part, just doesn't have that inner motivation to sacrifice for his children in a lot of the single parent cases. Again, it goes back to how he grew up and what he observed his parent(s) doing. Mother even though she is far from perfect - struggled, made the sacrifices for her children so they would have a roof over their heads and food to eat. Their dad(s) either move on to a new woman and her children, sometimes he's with a series of women; many in the same predicament as the woman he just left. When he breaks up with the new one, she too will have to bare the burden of raising the child alone. If not that scenario, the dad(s) is out being a liability on the family and his community (drugs, alcohol, wrongdoing, crime, violence, incarceration). That's if he hadn't died an premature death due to violence. So many Black boys grow up with this as their family legacy and they follow the same path as their dad when they reach the age to do so. The saddest part of it is the amount of support the out-of-wedlock dads will have personally, especially from his own mother and potential new girlfriends/baby-mamas, even though they know that he does little or nothing for his own children. Are their exceptions to this? Of course. However, I'm speaking in general.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:15 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Obama is not black. He is no more black than he is white..why does this confuse you exactly? IMO the most influential black person ever could be Martin Luther King who changed our entire society in ways every other American after him can only dream, black OR white. Something tells me you do not know anything about past or present black leadership in America, besides the stereotypes/loud mouths clamoring for fame, to even make such a statement.

If he looked like Derek Jeter, who is also biracial, would you still call him black? Do you call Derek Jeter black? If not, why not? They are both biracial, regardless of what genes happened to express themselves. Are you unable to look past the color of the person to see the content of their character? To see who they actually are?
I always thought that Hilary Swank was black. But a Google online search revealed that she actually has native american ancestry. Her family hails from Ringgold County, Iowa.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ this here is the problem

People just want to throw the race card and scream about imaginary racists instead of addressing the very real problems that face the Black community.

When half of the men of a particular race end up in prison at some point in their lives it is time for a total re-evaluation of cultural values and practices. Like I said before, it's not about skin color ... it's about culture.
Please explain what is "black culture"? Is it the same as Haitian? What about those who came directly from Africa, like the Somanians, Nigerians, Ethopians? Maybe you are talking about those from the Caribean Islands? Just whose black culture are you talking about? Would you lump all white people together as far as culture is concerned when you go to Europe? Hell even in the U.S there is no such thing as "white culture" so what makes you think that there is a "black culture"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City