Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,898 times

Advertisements

Hi,
thinking of renting an apt on the corner of 104th and Manhattan Ave, is this safe, it right next to the projects
I am a single woman and not sure of the area, safety and possible noise issue..
any help would be appreciated,
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanbari View Post
Hi,
thinking of renting an apt on the corner of 104th and Manhattan Ave, is this safe, it right next to the projects
I am a single woman and not sure of the area, safety and possible noise issue..
any help would be appreciated,
thanks
There is no 104th st and Manhattan Ave.There is a 114th St and Manhattan Avenue but it's not on the Upper West Side.It's Harlem.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
There is 104th and Manhattan, "Manhattan Valley."

You must mean the recently bought and renovated buildings on the east side ...?

Not a great stretch, quality-of-life issues, and the projects will not go anywhere.
If it were summer you probably would know whether you can deal with the street action.

Whole Foods is right there on Columbus, and on the other side of the projects are these decent co-op buildings.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There is no 104th st and Manhattan Ave.There is a 114th St and Manhattan Avenue but it's not on the Upper West Side.It's Harlem.

You been up in the Bronx too long. There most defintely is a 104th St and Manhattan Ave. and the neighborhood is called Manhattan Valley, and the intersection is a half block off Central Park West.

This part of the neighborhood is a LOT better than it was a couple of decades ago. The iimprovements have steadily been moving up Columbus Ave to the point that there is now a Starbucks on 100th and Columbus--directly across from the projects. Demographically, the area is wildly mixed. On one side you got Frederick Douglass Houses and a block away you have Central Park with its condos, and more expensive condos at 100th St between CPW and Columbus in Park West Village. Frankly, I sort of like that mix, but YMMV.

Like most PJs I would avoid walking through them at night, but otherwise I wouldn't freak about them being there as long as you mind your business. I'm in the neighborhood a lot to see friends and it seems pretty chill. You need to be careful as you would anywhere in New York, but this is not a bucket of blood area of the city. I've heard of a few robberies on the street over the years, and every once in a while you will see police cars up in the projects. But you won't be involved in any of that.

You'll generally either use the 103rd and CPW subway (B,C trains) or the buses on Columbus Ave. to get downtown. Transportation is good from the area.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM

That stretch is not what I would describe as "chill."

Columbus is different. The OP did not ask about Columbus, which has changed drastically in the last ten years.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You been up in the Bronx too long. There most defintely is a 104th St and Manhattan Ave. and the neighborhood is called Manhattan Valley, and the intersection is a half block off Central Park West.

This part of the neighborhood is a LOT better than it was a couple of decades ago. The iimprovements have steadily been moving up Columbus Ave to the point that there is now a Starbucks on 100th and Columbus--directly across from the projects. Demographically, the area is wildly mixed. On one side you got Frederick Douglass Houses and a block away you have Central Park with its condos, and more expensive condos at 100th St between CPW and Columbus in Park West Village. Frankly, I sort of like that mix, but YMMV.

Like most PJs I would avoid walking through them at night, but otherwise I wouldn't freak about them being there as long as you mind your business. I'm in the neighborhood a lot to see friends and it seems pretty chill. You need to be careful as you would anywhere in New York, but this is not a bucket of blood area of the city. I've heard of a few robberies on the street over the years, and every once in a while you will see police cars up in the projects. But you won't be involved in any of that.

You'll generally either use the 103rd and CPW subway (B,C trains) or the buses on Columbus Ave. to get downtown. Transportation is good from the area.
LOL,my bad.I forgot that Manhattan Ave had a stretch below 110 St ! I have CPW-Amsterdam-Columbus-Broadway on the brain.I actually used to live on 103 st but on the other side of Broadway.In those days( 70's) nobody who valued their life went East of Broadway.It was bad enough to the West.Quite bad actually.The transformation has been amazing.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-12-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
That stretch is not what I would describe as "chill."

Columbus is different. The OP did not ask about Columbus, which has changed drastically in the last ten years.
OP will be less than a half block from Columbus so it is definitely relevant. As to the area's vibe, I stand by that too, knowing at least three educated, professional women who live along that stretch and are quite happy.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP will be less than a half block from Columbus so it is definitely relevant. As to the area's vibe, I stand by that too, knowing at least three educated, professional women who live along that stretch and are quite happy.
On Columbus ? Sure. You just described almost every person who lives there.
On Manhattan Avenue, on the particular stretch about which the OP asks ? Don't believe it.

But the OP should help herself and post back about her block during the summer.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Ive put 3 different clients on 103, 104, 105st and manhattan ave and 104/central park west. The project area is very small and concentrated, nothing really to worry about. If you feel a bit uncomfortable dont walk in btwn them to get from avenue to avenue. Is it the studio or the 2br that you got?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
On Columbus ? Sure. You just described almost every person who lives there.
On Manhattan Avenue, on the particular stretch about which the OP asks ? Don't believe it.

But the OP should help herself and post back about her block during the summer.
Believe what you will, but the three are a married woman, a single woman and a divorcee. All are quite happy and all live on Manhattan between 100th and 106th. None has ever had any trouble beyond the usual catcalls and seeing the occassional rat scurrying through the streets late at night. In the summer they turn on the A/Cand dont hear whatever street noise there is. Their neighbors are friendly and their apartments are comfortable. None feel unsafe. Like I said, it is a mixed demographic in the neighborhood, and that may or may not be to the OP's liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City