Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:01 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I wouldn't mind 20 inches of snow tomorrow.

Hot chocolate, on my lazy boy while catching a movie sounds better than a potentially messy subway commute.
NOOO...... it hurts my back just thinking about digging 20 inches of snow for the front sidewalk. Not to
mention I have to clear my neighbor's sidewalk also because they are too old and have some health
problems to do it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
I stocked up on food and drinks. Bought rock salt for front steps, sidewalk, and driveway. Might walk to work on Friday.
Unless is 12 plus inches of snow, I don't stock up anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
NOOO...... it hurts my back just thinking about digging 20 inches of snow for the front. Unless is 12 plus inches of snow, I don't stock up anything.
I don't trust ch.11's Mr. G., ch.2's "Barbie-Ken" Lonnie Quinn, or ch.7's cute Amy Freeze for snowfall predictions. The main reason to stock up is that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It is better to be safe. I refuse to be lazy and sorry.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Who here remembers the 1996 blizzard? So much snow that it smothered entire gates. I remember I hurt my back that year shoveling snow.

Definitely stock up on foods and hot drinks tonight. Power loss DOES happen in snowstorms so you can never be too careful.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Who here remembers the 1996 blizzard? So much snow that it smothered entire gates. I remember I hurt my back that year shoveling snow.

Definitely stock up on foods and hot drinks tonight. Power loss DOES happen in snowstorms so you can never be too careful.
I wasn't in NYC for the 1996 blizzard. But it is always good to stock up on basic food staples before a storm.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post

i remember it!! i was in 4th grade and the snow was up to my neck! it was amazing

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

NBC just announced that there will be no express subway service due to the incoming snowstorm. I believe they said this will be starting at 5:45PM.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Some points from Mayor De Blasio's press conference:

Windchills could be as low 10 degrees below zero tomorrow. Please do not go out tomorrow if you don't have to.

Sanitation workers are working 12 hours shifts and are working at full capacity. All snow plows have GPS and every NYer can track online whether the snow has been cleared in their areas.

All alternate side street parking has been suspended today and tomorrow.

The fire department will have additional ambulances on the streets and the vehicles will have snow chains on their tires.

All seniors will have enough food delivered to them by senior delivery services to last them during the storm. All senior centers will be closed tomorrow.

All hospitals have enough food to carry them through the weekend if needed.

The public is urged to call 311 if they see someone homeless on the street during tonight as there are shelters available.

For the time being, people should assume that schools will be open tomorrow. A final decision will be made in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

If you don't have enough heat, report it immediately to your landlord and if not resolved to 311. Do not use your stove/oven for heating purposes and be careful with space heaters.

If you see someone shivering uncontrollably, make sure to get them to a warm place or call 911.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 PM

43 posts, read 78,813 times
I remember the 1996 Blizzard! I was working in Forest Hills and because my stupid boss wouldn't let me leave early I got stranded. No buses or taxis running (at the time I lived in St. Albans and would have needed to take a bus and a train home) I actually had to go into Manhattan to stay at a friends because the only thing running was the subway. Even the movie theaters closed that day!
Meanwhile people who lived two blocks away called in sick. Grumble Grumble.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
It has begun! After mild winters for a while, We were due for something like this. Just a normal winter in NYC.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 AM

NBC is reporting all NYC schools will be closed today.

Subway service is running local (no express) service until further notice.

The LIE is closed until 8 AM.

Snow ends west to east this morning.

Blowing and drifting snow much of the day.

Dangerous wind-chills especially this morning -15 to -5 degrees F.

Temperatures tonight will be in the single digits and below zero.

At least 15 minutes delays on NJ Transit buses.

No service on part of the L subway line.

Last edited by Chava61; 01-03-2014 at 04:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City