Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
When you talk of real jobs, growing the economy and responsibility it made me think of Goldman Sachs, their $10 Billion dollar bailout and outsourcing 1,000 Jobs to Singapore because it's cheaper. Look at the number of companies that cut jobs at home while increasing jobs overseas during the 2000s. And look at the CEO to worker compensation ratio in the largest firms. The gaps are huge. So there is plenty of blame to go around when talking of personal responsibility, creating jobs and helping people fish. Great old saying about the fish but who's gonna hire this newly trained fisherman when they can outsource the job at a fraction of the cost.
If you are finding difficulty finding work because of economic or structural issues, then you need to become politically active. Or move to a place where the job market is better. Or retrain yourself/get new job skills.

Clearly if you do nothing you will be starving out in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I don't think there is much of a cost savings by outsourcing to Singapore. Maybe they are redeploying staff from NYC to Singapore for business purposes, but not moving the same exact functions because it's cheaper.
I think he might have used a bad example, but there are numerous other examples to validate his point. e.g Target outsourced their entire IT department to India, and some have argued that it's the weakest link in the recent security breach at Target. Pay a programmer there what would be considered a small sum here, and they'd spill their guts on the entire design of Target's system and all its vulnerabilities. I'd be laughing if they hardcoded some of the encryption keys in the code for all the developers to see.

But regarding Singapore some things can be done cheaper there, Barclays has a huge IT department there for none other than cost savings purposes. The former company I worked for pushed really hard to try to make Singapore the R&D hub by hiring quantitative Phds that cost a fraction of what it would cost here in the states. Singapore is an ideal place to outsource high value work, their workforce is some of the best educated in the world.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I get a small SNAP allowance as I haven't been able to find full-time work. I buy meat, fruit, veggies and canned and frozen goods to complete our meals. I live with my elderly parents. I have been working, with some short-term exceptions, since I was 17. I am now 50. I've paid taxes all my life into these programs. So have my parents. So has my brother.

I need to look for work constantly, so I need internet access. I also to be reachable in case something happens to my parents as they are not doing well and I help care for them. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3. My parents paid for it for my birthday a little over a year ago. Deal with it.

Blessings to you NYChistorygal,

You are an example of who the program should be helping.

I wish you every success. Seriously.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 PM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCStudent427 View Post
Lol at wanting to be working poor because it's more convenient to spend your ebt frivolously and then be hungry at the end of the month
Sit down Student. When you have a family then you can talk to me. In the meantime, focus on your homework. You don't have real bills.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Entitlements and other issues regarding the generational poor will always be frequent topics of discussion in a city like NY where the various social classes interact regularly. I don't need to know exactly how much of my specific taxes are going to food stamps to know that my overall tax burden would be lower if massive social welfare programs were gutted and administered in such a way to greatly limit fraud.
So then you spend the rest of your days in NYC speculating how much you have potentially lost. I have other things to worry about.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
this is dumb; arguing over people getting food stamps lol.
Tell me about it. Matter of fact, whoever qualifies should go sign up tomorrow. On their smartphone.

Realize this - we are insignificant specks to the few 1% who really run this country and control the money. So at the end of the day, who cares. I just have to worry about my family and how to legally put food on the table. Which I do. So as long as my deep freezer is full I sleep good. Who cares about who gets what. It ain't fair that my parents wasn't born rich. It ain't fair that somebody is getting food stamps and don't have to worry about where their food is coming from. Big deal.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell me about it. Matter of fact, whoever qualifies should go sign up tomorrow. On their smartphone.

Realize this - we are insignificant specks to the few 1% who really run this country and control the money. So at the end of the day, who cares. I just have to worry about my family and how to legally put food on the table. Which I do. So as long as my deep freezer is full I sleep good. Who cares about who gets what. It ain't fair that my parents wasn't born rich. It ain't fair that somebody is getting food stamps and don't have to worry about where their food is coming from. Big deal.
Been thinking about this the whole thread. Sure there are people who get over with food stamps and that is regrettable. The people in the 1/10th of 1 percent get over far more than anyone else in the country. They are the ones that we should be directing our anger at.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM

448 posts, read 685,048 times
I don't even know why NYChistorygal is explaining herself. If you have a phone, job, foodstamps etc, it's YOUR business. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Ever.

A simple "You Mad, Bro?" will suffice.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So then you spend the rest of your days in NYC speculating how much you have potentially lost. I have other things to worry about.
We're having an online discussion, this isn't something that consumes my entire life (or I'm sure the much time of anyone else's here). I doubt I'm losing anything by concerning myself with political issues that affect me. Quite the opposite, ignoring them would be far worse.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"anchor babies" is a made-up term. The presence of a child born on US soil (and hence a US citizen) does not confer any naturalization or immigration rights on the parents. No anchoring occuring.
Born on US soil makes them citizens, entitled to benefits. Think they can cash a check themselves? No, it goes to the parents. They get housing and you think a 3-month-old lives alone?

Anchor babies exist. My area is full of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City